Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Daily Chat

In fairness,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

That is Warren Brown's , (Columnist — Washington, D.C.) opinion and I rarely hold journalist's car opinions to a high degree of credibility ,,,,,, they just needed something to write about for a column. While true that Cadillac marketing may not have done justice for the XLR line during its run, the first offered model was not a gleaming success of panel fit gaps and unexpected little problems due to a lack of R & D................ coupled with the economic collapse in 2008/2009 lead to dwindling sales figures for vehicles approaching six figures.

Hence,,,,the end of XLR production was in sight:

Attachments

• Hammer Time.gif
    Hammer Time.gif
    16.5 KB · Views: 177
Sat October 22 heading down to palatka Florida again. Going to be showing/representing Cadillac Xlr community. If any local Florida ppl want to join in with me you are more then welcome. It's from 8-3. At the riverfront park in palatka Florida.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attended a car show in palatka fl. Didn't win a trophy but saw some unique and cool rides.
ae5a42668af7be11c500184df64187ec.jpg
a849ec5355e8a2e3b3ae0676c5ea596b.jpg
935b5adf6482d33b16aa282ce58b47fc.jpg

Started up the xlr to go run errands. Got low coolant message on the display. So went to my dealership and my service guy said they are backed up and can't get to me for a hr. So I went to the lunch counter and had a bite to eat. Saw that they brought my car to the pit stop area and was topping the fluids up. the service guy was visually looking for crack. So I was talking to my service advisor and he told me that I would b better off bringing it back Monday. Because he was so backed up. That way they could call my warranty company to see if it was covered and have more time to check it out. He said if it needed to be repaired/replaced it could be around 5 hrs to complete.

I have now been in the Southern CA. a week and a having and it has been a blast driving my car once again. I went to get gas today and a fellow is over telling me what a nice car I have . It happened twice today and it makes you feel pretty good. I have had some trouble with my passenger side window but I just may have it working. I put my new Lloyd's Mats in and they look great and I hope to order my Corsa exhaust system on Monday.
John F.
:wave:

In reference to my previous post. Had take the car into service for my oil change and the service guys checked in more depth my coolant problem. Turned out my water pump was going bad. So thanks to my extended warranty all I had to pay for was my oil change and the coolant flush. Since it hasn't been done for awhile. Both those expenses came to around $230.00. Instead of $820.00 something.

Show & tell still rocks

You know, there may be no parts for these cars ... dealers etc. may not know how to fix them ... Cadillac may deny their existence ... but still it is SO COOL when Mike can spend 45 minutes doing show & tell with a guy whose dad just bought a CTS-V coupe, & neither he nor his dad knew XLR's existed & had never seen one, & he wants pictures & info to share with his dad & is blown away by seeing the top go up & down.

Stuff like that, & the drives like Smoothran just enjoyed, are what makes it all worthwhile ...

Boone NC

We took Crimson Pearl for a little run in the mountains yesterday, to check out the leaves and have lunch at the Dan'l Boone Inn. Lunch was good and the scenery nice.

You might find the website for the Dan'l Boone Inn to be interesting.

We also spent some time doing some early Christmas shopping at the Mast Store.

Dan'l Boone Inn - Boone NC Restaurants

Mast General Store

Attachments

• Daniel Boone.jpg
    Daniel Boone.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:
Wondering if it's a good idea to put a battery tender on the car when message says low voltage. Please advise

With an everyday driver I would take it for a good run and then put a battery tender on it overnight and check the battery in the AM. With an XLR I would most likely just change the battery with no messing around.
John F.

It took me 1/2 hr (recommend by the roadside assistant guy) to drive home. After letting it run while unloading all my car show things(banner board, chair etc) then I raised and closed up the convertible top. Pulled into the garage and hooked her up to the battery tender. Leaving the hood unlatched but closed. Red light on tender was on when I plugged in just got back from dinner with mom and FaceTime call from sister. Checked tender light now Amber orange
fe586ff795ad39ab908a8ba0599a6146.jpg
. Will leave it overnight and check it in morning.

Nice 'lil trip

Had a great drive from home in Mountsberg Ontario Canada to North Port Florida: just over 1500 miles. Wish I could say it was uneventful but alas it was not. Usually I would have had my oil changed on the car in the fall at my sons shop where they inspect the car carefully and top up any fluids etc but his shop has been very busy and I had only put on just under 3 thousand miles this summer so I figured I would get the oil changed in Florida. The day before we left Steve checked my oil level and tire pressure - topping up 3 tires a bit. Everything seemed fine.

On the road at 7:30 am. Planned to take 3 days as we were driving 2 cars, me in my XLR and Steve in the Grand Cherokee. One hour into our drive the traffic was at an absolute stand still: stop, wait. roll a bit. There had been a fatal accident and all traffic was being routed off the highway, through the back country and back on the highway 5 miles down the road. One hour and 15 minutes later we had completed that task: back on the highway and on our way - but suddenly a low tire warning. Once I managed to clear the warning I discovered the passenger front was at 24 lbs. It was at least 5 miles before the next exit so I kept my eye on the pressure and finally got to pull over at 22 lbs. Got out the pump and started pumping. Got it up to 30lbs then headed for the nearest tire shop - 13 miles away: all the while watching the pressure... which didnt budge. Steve was wondering if the valve did not seal correctly and was leaking slowly around the cap. Anyway, once at the tire shop - once they found out we were traveling together to Florida they immediately pulled the rim, checked the tire for a nail etc (nothing) checked all the pressures and sent us on our way (NO charge) wishing us a safe trip. It seemed good but an half hour later a low coolant warning came up. Not sure where the coolant went: there are no leaks etc but Steve had not checked it. Stopped and added two bottles of water from my cooler and away we go. Starting to feel paranoid, but all seemed well. After 5 1/2 horus we finally made the Detroit border - a trip that usually is just over 3 hours.
Lots of construction, a couple of other accident slow downs and day one was done, pressure on the tire was 1 pound lower that the other front tire but nothing to be concerned about.

Day 2, cold pressure showed the same varriance as the night before. On the road by 7:30 but the other tires were slowly increasing with operating temperature but the problem tire was not.... then suddenly it started to drop. It seemed to drop following a harsh bump like bridge skirts etc. Before too long it was down to 25 lbs again. Stopped at a gas station, $1.50 later and a crappy unit with a faulty valve and we managed to get it up to 30 lbs before the pump turned off. On the road, and less than an hour later we were looking for another gas station (this is all before 9 am) This time one buck, and a great air pump but it did not have a built in gauge. Steve blew a bunch of air in it and checked it with my tire guage and we had 38 pounds. Too much but we figured that would at least give us more time before having to stop again. Lo & behold, it never did go down. Drove all day with that tire at 38 pounds. I was wondering if there was a seal issue between the rim and the tire bead and with the excess pressure it was pressing the tire harder into the rim and stopping the leak?

Day 3 it was all good. Obviously it started out lower on cold tires and it did loose a bit of air over the day but nothing major. When we got to Florida Steve checked them all the next day: tightened the nut on the valve stem which was loose (I would have thought the shop would have done that) and we seem to be good. Gave her a good wash and is ready for fun in the sun! 5 days later and its all good!

BTW: I let Steve behind the wheel for a change and it just turned 30,000 miles yesterday - while we were out and about we saw this chrome wrapped Camaro - you gotta wonder! BTW: Our Bird of Paradise bush finally lived up to its name - there are 8 'birds' with more on the way!

Wintering in Florida with my XLR: doesn't get much better than that!
:cool:

Attachments

• DSCN2728.jpg
    DSCN2728.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 319
  • DSCN2729.jpg
    DSCN2729.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 278
  • DSCN2731.jpg
    DSCN2731.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 291
  • DSCN2737.jpg
    DSCN2737.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 297
Well thought I'd update u all. The 3 Fridays ago I went in for my 50 k oil change. But before that I had already been in 3 x for a low coolant message. So this time my service guy was out and had to go for his co workers. They culprit was bad water pump. So thankful for my Zurich extended warranty they paid for it. I just had to pay for the coolant flush and oil change. So then3 Saturdays ago I had a low volts message after a show. So I called Onstar/Cadillac roadside. They sent out a guy to jump start me. Then arrived home and put the xlr on ( life support) tender for the weekend. Monday 1st thing went to dealer and they added a new battery. so now she's running better then ever No she's tucked away in a warm garage but worried because its going to be in the mid 40's to low 50's. She might get cold because she's topless

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Had a great drive from home in Mountsberg Ontario Canada to North Port Florida: just over 1500 miles. Wish I could say it was uneventful but alas it was not. Usually I would have had my oil changed on the car in the fall at my sons shop where they inspect the car carefully and top up any fluids etc but his shop has been very busy and I had only put on just under 3 thousand miles this summer so I figured I would get the oil changed in Florida. The day before we left Steve checked my oil level and tire pressure - topping up 3 tires a bit. Everything seemed fine.

On the road at 7:30 am. Planned to take 3 days as we were driving 2 cars, me in my XLR and Steve in the Grand Cherokee. One hour into our drive the traffic was at an absolute stand still: stop, wait. roll a bit. There had been a fatal accident and all traffic was being routed off the highway, through the back country and back on the highway 5 miles down the road. One hour and 15 minutes later we had completed that task: back on the highway and on our way - but suddenly a low tire warning. Once I managed to clear the warning I discovered the passenger front was at 24 lbs. It was at least 5 miles before the next exit so I kept my eye on the pressure and finally got to pull over at 22 lbs. Got out the pump and started pumping. Got it up to 30lbs then headed for the nearest tire shop - 13 miles away: all the while watching the pressure... which didnt budge. Steve was wondering if the valve did not seal correctly and was leaking slowly around the cap. Anyway, once at the tire shop - once they found out we were traveling together to Florida they immediately pulled the rim, checked the tire for a nail etc (nothing) checked all the pressures and sent us on our way (NO charge) wishing us a safe trip. It seemed good but an half hour later a low coolant warning came up. Not sure where the coolant went: there are no leaks etc but Steve had not checked it. Stopped and added two bottles of water from my cooler and away we go. Starting to feel paranoid, but all seemed well. After 5 1/2 horus we finally made the Detroit border - a trip that usually is just over 3 hours.
Lots of construction, a couple of other accident slow downs and day one was done, pressure on the tire was 1 pound lower that the other front tire but nothing to be concerned about.

Day 2, cold pressure showed the same varriance as the night before. On the road by 7:30 but the other tires were slowly increasing with operating temperature but the problem tire was not.... then suddenly it started to drop. It seemed to drop following a harsh bump like bridge skirts etc. Before too long it was down to 25 lbs again. Stopped at a gas station, $1.50 later and a crappy unit with a faulty valve and we managed to get it up to 30 lbs before the pump turned off. On the road, and less than an hour later we were looking for another gas station (this is all before 9 am) This time one buck, and a great air pump but it did not have a built in gauge. Steve blew a bunch of air in it and checked it with my tire guage and we had 38 pounds. Too much but we figured that would at least give us more time before having to stop again. Lo & behold, it never did go down. Drove all day with that tire at 38 pounds. I was wondering if there was a seal issue between the rim and the tire bead and with the excess pressure it was pressing the tire harder into the rim and stopping the leak?

Day 3 it was all good. Obviously it started out lower on cold tires and it did loose a bit of air over the day but nothing major. When we got to Florida Steve checked them all the next day: tightened the nut on the valve stem which was loose (I would have thought the shop would have done that) and we seem to be good. Gave her a good wash and is ready for fun in the sun! 5 days later and its all good!

BTW: I let Steve behind the wheel for a change and it just turned 30,000 miles yesterday - while we were out and about we saw this chrome wrapped Camaro - you gotta wonder! BTW: Our Bird of Paradise bush finally lived up to its name - there are 8 'birds' with more on the way!

You're post calls for one of those alternates to like/dislike buttons you suggested - like a button for this: :ugh: Glad you finally got to the Sunshine State ok!

I guess it was a perfect timing snapshot, but love Steve's hair do.....lol Glad you had a safe trip and here a picture from the internet I came across of a Chrome XLR

4a8d74aac3b83787cbee99282c1614ee.jpg

Holiday road,,,,

Sandy,,, Good road trip review :thumbsup Sorry to hear about your tire pressure issue,,,,,but now resolved.

Keep in mind if that ever happens again, most tire stores like Discount Tire, Goodyear, Firestone, and hundreds of other places like QT gas stations (etc) do not charge for 'AIR' for your tires. Paying for air is outrageous and I would never buy my fuel or inside products from those places. JMO

Have a good time in Florida...........spend lots of $$$ :D

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back