Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Daily Chat

I do love those Wind Restrictors and had one for many years. I tend to drive often after dark and when the top is up due to temps. Top up - combined with the wind restrictor there are a ton of double reflections between the Restrictor and the back window. When I had the car down here in Florida two years ago; and being the fact that it is winter so the sun sets early - I often found myself out after dark, and it was cool out so I would be in that situation: top up at night. I took mine off then and never put it back on. I sold it to another XLR-net member from Canada. I don't know if you noticed, but I had the factory mesh one on my car in Bowling Green. It came with my car but was damaged a bit and the straps had pulled out from its rivets so I fixed it (after owning it for nearly 8 years, still had some damage on the one piece) and installed it for BG. I never pointed it out to anyone and not sure if 'anyone' even notice I had the rare factory unit. (Speak up 15 anniversary folks if you did!) I have since removed it as the mesh and its top edge trim is annoying when I look in the rear view: the Wind Restrictor is far less obstructive this way.

Anyway; unless you do a fair bit of night driving with the top up - I am sure you will love it and if you ever go to any cruise nights after dark: they are so cool and can run off a 9 v battery too! It is a fairly easy install, the instructions are great with step by step instructions but yes: you will need someone for that Guy. If I remember correctly it only took about an hour or two to install: the WR company should give you an idea about that and you can tell your installer about the expected time if they dont have experience with them. You can likely purchase one through a local company that specializes in aftermarket installations like led accent lighting, stereos, tinting etc. Good luck with your quest!
:burnout:

Thanks greytoad. No I didn’t notice I guess I only asked you the difference between 09 and the others. Now I wish I had one like yours. But I’m glad I just have a xlr. And thanks for your feed back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are always little jobs needing doing around a home: especially when you purchase a 25 year old home. So there is a small closet in our guest bathroom with a pair of bi-fold doors that are just a bit too big for how the doorway was framed - always a tight spot then a clunk when closing. So I am out in the garage with my trusty hand plane making those lovely 'curls' of wood, Steve is in the next bay tinkering around: all the doors and windows open and a nice breeze (80F, mix of sun and clouds)
View attachment 8408

Suddenly I hear a bang and I look up to see Steve grabbing for the sheets of plywood (exhibit A) standing up beside his cabinets (my next job is to build a work bench right where the grey plastic utility table is) and the red cart (exhibit B) is spinning and heading for my XLR. Heart stops: I am frozen in place for an instant then spring into action (As fast as this 'nearly' 62 year old body 'springs') I am at the far end of the doors (nearest the camera) plane in hand and somehow manage to get moving. It is amazing how something can happen so fast yet you see it in my mind in a 15 second slow motion clip! The cart is spinning, the drawer that has excellent drawer glides is flung open and it heading directly for 'your pride and joy'. The cart had about 18 feet to travel and I only had about 10 and it was nearly a tie but the cart did just win. Lucky it has 'scrubbed off' much of its speed as I got between the leading drawer and my XLR and all the car had to show for it was teeny tiny mark - like the smallest stone chip you can imagine. Bloody lucky.
View attachment 8409

Did I happen to mention that I let Steve drive yesterday as as we were pulling into a parking spot I said " Careful of that curb" and 'you guessed it', thank goodness my car has that extra ABS ground effect piece and it took most of the scuffing.

It ain't easy keeping them pristine!
:burnout:

.... and YES, the locking wheels on the cart are now LOCKED!

I see in the background that Steve appears to be still alive ... Christmas gift from you to let him survive? :chuckle

I was waiting for disaster to happen to my XLR as Mike out of the blue abruptly decided to replace the trunk struts ... found me and told me he needed help ... which consisted of me trying to hold up a trunk by myself with no mechanics to help me, & pushing it up as far as it would go. I’m not :sprite10: so that really was a :nono:. I wasn’t sure if I was going to get broken or one of the unobtainable tail lights or something else. He finally rigged up some other way to do it & I told him for future reference he needed to find a friend other than me to do that stuff!!!

And hopefully next weekend the last of the damage from getting rear ended will be fixed! :dance: Cost me 2 months out of service during the some of the best times to do some top down driving around here. Oh well, counting my blessings it was fixable.

I immediately thought your accident: my tiny nick is right were your big OUCH happened..... yup: you win the Way Too Close contest...
:(

Yeah!!! But this was one time I really didn’t want to win [emoji30]

My fast red XLR has finally had the paint fixed from the rear ender & comes home tomorrow! :party

Yahoo is it Snowing there?

No, the snow line is west of us. Nasty nor’easter rain/wind though, which is why I can’t get my XLR until tomorrow - 3d brake light is completely removed so the paint job would be easier, which also makes it easier to trash electrical components with rain!

How about you guys - got snow?

No, the snow line is west of us. Nasty nor’easter rain/wind though, which is why I can’t get my XLR until tomorrow - 3d brake light is completely removed so the paint job would be easier, which also makes it easier to trash electrical components with rain!

How about you guys - got snow?

Nope, but had about 6” a few weeks ago though!
Wendy and I actually had Roxy out today for a little drive to pick up the groceries.... then backed her in into her new winter home! We’re calling this the Outback Caddy Shack....LOL
2c0366e5866fc783ff19a8ad771cfcbe.jpg
a889e1140a914aeb127899cd956649e5.jpg
5a8c32a231f60ed3b264087ae8be4b7c.jpg

Nice [emoji1360]

Well I don’t know if it was the temp change or what. I took the xlr out for a long drive (top up because it was overcast and 67) when I pulled back into the garage I noticed this. The top of the headlight assembly was foggy.
644b8a417a023a95cefc9ad4199aaf1e.jpg
af438b061ea81fc4aea52f38aa882bb3.jpg
don’t know if you can tell by the pics since it’s dark. But I think I have a broken seal [emoji25][emoji36]. Also while I was out I sat in the passenger seat to put something away in the glove box and my seat recliner knob busted off [emoji25]. So that’s 2 strikes on my car that I’m upset about.
My question is how easy of a fix is it to replace the knob. It was dark and I was able to located the knob but the person that was in the group I was with said it looks like a spring was in the knob itself.

Well I don’t know if it was the temp change or what. I took the xlr out for a long drive (top up because it was overcast and 67) when I pulled back into the garage I noticed this. The top of the headlight assembly was foggy.
644b8a417a023a95cefc9ad4199aaf1e.jpg
af438b061ea81fc4aea52f38aa882bb3.jpg
don’t know if you can tell by the pics since it’s dark. But I think I have a broken seal [emoji25][emoji36]. Also while I was out I sat in the passenger seat to put something away in the glove box and my seat recliner knob busted off [emoji25]. So that’s 2 strikes on my car that I’m upset about.
My question is how easy of a fix is it to replace the knob. It was dark and I was able to located the knob but the person that was in the group I was with said it looks like a spring was in the knob itself.

Hawkeye, to ease your mind about the headlight fogging, both of mine have done that as long as I can remember, pretty sure since I got it 8 years ago. Doesn’t seem to matter whether the car has been dry as a bone or not. I’m sure it’s not great for the lights etc. but I haven’t had any serious harm yet.

2006 to 2008 headlights

2006 and 2007 headlights have a problem with the outer lens coming loose. You can take a plastic pry tool and run it around the outer seal lift up ever so slightly .If the outer lens has started to come loose it will fly off one day. once that seal is broken I do not know of anyone that has found a way to glue it back properly . You can sometimes see the seal is loose by looking at the green outer reinforcement and the clear outer lens will look different In an area that is starting to come loose. there is a vent hole on the bottom of the head light if its wet under there and the light is covered ,the sun will draw water up into the light.

Looking for good news. I have this small area that needs new leather. I called a auto upholstery shop that I used for my seats. The guy told me they order a wrap from another company and then charge $225.00 to sew/stitch it in place. that price is for the whole wheel to be done and it’s only a wrap.

Here is the website that the auto upholstery place told me to go to.

EuroTone Two Color Steering Wheel Cover Distributors

Here are the color samples they have
2e0657e1b45776851d75e775089c42f6.jpg

This is the area that has worn off again. I’ve had this area tinted before but just from where my hand rests on this area the color has worn away.

c0d6d0cdc9710e59f117e6388ce05501.jpg

Looking for good news. I have this small area that needs new leather. I called a auto upholstery shop that I used for my seats. The guy told me they order a wrap from another company and then charge $225.00 to sew/stitch it in place. that price is for the whole wheel to be done and it’s only a wrap.

Here is the website that the auto upholstery place told me to go to.

EuroTone Two Color Steering Wheel Cover Distributors

Here are the color samples they have
2e0657e1b45776851d75e775089c42f6.jpg

This is the area that has worn off again. I’ve had this area tinted before but just from where my hand rests on this area the color has worn away.

c0d6d0cdc9710e59f117e6388ce05501.jpg

I think I’d just have it painted again. I had bought some shale color online to touch up the shifter where it’s wearing off. It’s gotta be cheaper then a recovering which may wear eventually too.

I think I’d just have it painted again. I had bought some shale color online to touch up the shifter where it’s wearing off. It’s gotta be cheaper then a recovering which may wear eventually too.

Yes the same thing is happening to the shifter too

We finally had a warm weekend that wasn’t rainy so I took Beauty out. AHHHH! I’ve so missed this ride! Put the top down, it was a perfect spring day (complete with pollen too), just the right temps. All the rough times just roll away after driving for a while ... :blue:

We finally had a warm weekend that wasn’t rainy so I took Beauty out. AHHHH! I’ve so missed this ride! Put the top down, it was a perfect spring day (complete with pollen too), just the right temps. All the rough times just roll away after driving for a while ... :blue:

Yep so far I’ve had the top down 3 or 4 days straight. Low to mid 70’s except today was 78 but no humidity. But heard Monday and Tuesday it might be raining here. So that’s why I take advantage of these great low humidity and low temp days. Top down and wearing my pirate hat
998f7626195cd0adf2e6b574f1616a74.jpg
f42fb5e032b0cf49a045f25a946b6d88.jpg
and my parrot head hat

Ugg. I’m trying to get my car cleaned up for the big car show happening next sat. Right now I have some interior leather work done and glancing at my front fascia lower grill notice more pieces have disappeared.
f52c37edbbf1e3b919c16498d5c20147.jpg
a442f78d171e098938c2b75e5d89d166.jpg
this next Thursday or Friday my detail guy will be coming out to the house and doing their handy work for hand washing and waxing the car. So on sat the 13th all I have to do is dust it and spot clean her.

looks like the love bugs are getting bigger???

Lol [emoji23] yep. They are the newer bugs that drill. But thinking now might be the time to replace or go with a mesh one. How do those mesh ones hold up. Or should I just try and find the plastic one again.

Last edited:
looks like that part is still available new from GM list is about 200 best price would be about 150-160 Part number

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom