Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

DDF XLR

My XLR/V(s)
Just got my 2004 xlr yesterday, knowing the top did not work. Told the hydraulic pump needed to be replaced. Will get to that later.

Should I be able to open the trunk even if the top does not work?

thanks

David

It would seem you should be able to, but there's so much electronics/sensors going on, I'll defer to ccclarke or someone with more knowledge of the workings.
We were up there in November in our XLR for a couple of days, stayed on the lake in a houseboat.

It depends on what kind of shape the hydraulic pump in in. When my pump was bad, it would raise the rear deck lid, but the top would stop retracting about mid-cycle.

Have you tried to raise the rear deck lid using hydraulics?

If this doesn't work, you'll have to open the rear deck lid manually, as explained in your Owner's Manual.

CC :wave:

It depends on what kind of shape the hydraulic pump in in. When my pump was bad, it would raise the rear deck lid, but the top would stop retracting about mid-cycle.

Have you tried to raise the rear deck lid using hydraulics?

If this doesn't work, you'll have to open the rear deck lid manually, as explained in your Owner's Manual.

CC
Thanks for the quick reply, I will read the Owner Manual and follow it. Just for clearifiction I wanted to open the "trunk" is that the same as the "deck lid"?

David

CC
Thanks for the quick reply, I will read the Owner Manual and follow it. Just for clearifiction I wanted to open the "trunk" is that the same as the "deck lid"?

David

Yes. The trunk is the space the Rear Deck Lid covers. The other main components of the System that you will read about for the manual Folding Top operation are the Front and Rear Tonneaus and the Folding Top. Just for standard nomenclature sake, these are the component names you'll see in service literature.

The Rear Decklid is very easy to open and close manually --once you've successfully done it. I think the hardest part of the whole manual operation is turning the key in the rear bumper slot and lifting the Rear Deck Lid high and fast enough so the latch doesn't pull down and crunch your fingers.

At least the price of a new pump has fallen from $1600 to around $1100.

Last edited:
I'd try and find someone with a Tech II to do a top recalibration if the trunk does open.

I know when my top wasn't going up and down it acts very strangely and might make you think the pump is the problem.

Read the threads about the top here before spending a lot of money first would be my suggestion.

Regardless of whether you can open the Rear Deck Lid manually or hydraulically, if the Folding Top is having issues, the first step, (after you've eliminated the easy stuff like valet switch position, etc) to pursue is have the vehicle baseline scanned with a Tech 2 or MDI tool, followed by a re-learn of the Folding Top. Once (if) the Folding Top is operating, then further tests can be run with the scan tools to look at individual Folding Top Components like solenoid valves, sensor and switch values and positions.

I'm not saying the hydraulic pump is fine; I'm not there to see/hear it operate, and don't know what information was used to determine it was bad. The majority of the problems with the Folding Top are caused by one of the three Position sensors, so it's always best to scan the entire system before diving it and replacing parts, which can get expensive.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back