Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! DRL's

boydavid

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2007 Black Base
I've been reading all the technical posts, especially the headlight related ones. Like many I have some "burn-in" caused by the yellow DRL's. In one of the posts I read the suggestion to shut them off as a way to prolong the lens life. A bit embarrassed but I looked through the manual and couldn't find how to turn them off. Can I turn of the DRL's so they only come on when I use the turn signal? If so, how? Appreciate any replies.

Thanks everyone.

In my case, the lenses are great, but since I replaced my fog lights with LED's, I turn the fogs on when I start up the car. Turns off the DRL's and I don't worry about the fogs since they burn cool and are easier to replace anyway.

The left turn signal lever has the lighting controls. You rotate the headlight control knob toward you. It turns off the headlights if they are on or the DRLs if it is light out.
Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stop the problem when lights not needed (except north of the border)

nerkpowers is correct ,,,,,,,,,,, slight twist on the knob will shut off those lights. During daylight hours when we start the XLR, first thing we do is shut off those lights

No sense in aggravating a potential appearance issue with their use when not needed. David,,,,experiment with the turn signal lever until you find the controller....

Thanks

That explains why I couldn't find the turn off in the DIC options. Oh boy, answer so simple I never considered it. Thank you Zen, Nerk and Rexster. I hope my next question doesn't ask where the brake pedal is!

no problem,,,,

I hope my next question doesn't ask where the brake pedal is!

:laugh: Fear not,,,,,, on another car website I belong to, a guy asked 'why his hood wouldn't open after pulling the hood release lever on the interior floor"?

Keep in mind this guy was probably in his mid/late 50's......... { he was unaware of a secondary hood latch on the front of the hood }

I asked him how long has it been since he ever opened any hood on any car

,,,,,,,,,,since secondary hood release latches had been on cars for over 60 years :( :rolleyes:

So I guess no question is too stupid?

DRLs

Another way to shut off the DRLs is to turn on the headlights.

That's what I do and my headlamp assemblies are near-perfect.

The left turn signal lever has the lighting controls. You rotate the headlight control knob toward you. It turns off the headlights if they are on or the DRLs if it is light out.
Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That won't work on Canadian Cars - Canadian laws prohibit the ability to turn off DRL. The knob will turn but nothing happens. You can identify Canadian cars by the speedometer it goes to 260!
This override will also apply to US XLRs that were correctly imported into Canada which had the BCM changed to meet Canadian Standards.

DRL

Has anyone replaced their DRL blubs with led? would that not cause the problem to go away...?
They should run cooler

thanks
jack

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry