Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

engine running too hot?

batgirl1

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2005 Black xlr
I just took my XLR on it's first long road trip....five hours to the NC mountains. It's engine temp went up to over 220. I was afraid that it was going to overheat. I checked the water and stopped to buy more antifreeze. Is this normal? As soon as we got out of the mountains, it was fine. However, just in case, we didn't venture out as much as we would have liked.

What was the outside air temp during your trip? Was there antifreeze in your cooling system or water or a mixture if both?
:cool:

If I'm running hard in hills and valleys, and the outside temp is up as well, mine tends to run on the warm side... as long as it cooled down when you came out of the mountains, everything is as it should be.
I take it you stopped when it was warm - your fan should have been running; if it wasn't, then I would have it checked.

Kathi,

220 is the boiling point of water --not coolant. DexCool is rated to 265. Your owner's manual explains the limit points to watch for --it basically says if you're running at 260, your XLR's cooling system is too hot. As long as you have plenty of coolant and your electric fan is operating, you're good to go!

CC :wave:

220 degrees is normal for your car while doing some "spirited driving" in the mountains. The cooling system is not only trying to remove excess heat from the engine, but it has to cool the transmission fluid. You should occasionally inspect the front of the A/C condensor (it is mounted in front of the radiator assembly) for debris like grass and plastic bags that can be picked up as you drive. You will need to raise the front of the vehicle to access the condensor for inspection.

Kathi,

220 is the boiling point of water --not coolant. DexCool is rated to 265. Your owner's manual explains the limit points to watch for --it basically says if you're running at 260, your XLR's cooling system is too hot. As long as you have plenty of coolant and your electric fan is operating, you're good to go!

Thanks for explaining! My car didn't have it's owner's manual when I bought it. I had a corvette once that would overheat alot and I was told to pull over and cut the car off when it reached 220 so as to not damage the engine. Therefore, I have a fear of that temp! When I did check the coolant, I had plenty and I remember that the fan was running.

I have always had a slow coolant leak, too, that no one here can seem to fix. I was worried that I might have had a problem.

Owner's Manual can be found under MODEL CENTER

Thanks for explaining! My car didn't have it's owner's manual when I bought it. .

Kathi,

You can find the owner's manual for your car here on the XLR-NET site. Here is a direct link to it : https://www.xlr-net.com/specs/2005/2k05xlr.pdf

You may find some fascinating things in there!

When I bought my XLR, I concluded the deal on a Tuesday, but did not pick the car up until Friday because it rained Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday! I meant to take the Owner's Manual home with me on Tuesday, but forgot! :pat:

But thanks to this website, I was able to read it cover to cover and was much more familiar with all the controls and features when I picked it up on Friday.

I have always had a slow coolant leak, too, that no one here can seem to fix. I was worried that I might have had a problem.

Kathi ... Lola is an '04 ... 3 coolant leaks, 3 new radiators .... the last one was put in a couple of years ago and no problems since .... If I remember correctly, the original '04 radiators were a problem and needed to be replaced by a whollly different radiator ...
I sure one of the guys on here is familiar with the problem ...
Good luck ..

Kathi ... Lola is an '04 ... 3 coolant leaks, 3 new radiators .... the last one was put in a couple of years ago and no problems since .... If I remember correctly, the original '04 radiators were a problem and needed to be replaced by a whollly different radiator ...
I sure one of the guys on here is familiar with the problem ...
Good luck ..

Wow. I've taken mine to at least three different places, and everyone is puzzled. For now, we've just been watching it since I only drive it a few miles a day. The next time I have to take it in, I'll suggest that. You all are always so helpful!:)

Kathi,

You can find the owner's manual for your car here on the XLR-NET site. Here is a direct link to it : https://www.xlr-net.com/specs/2005/2k05xlr.pdf

You may find some fascinating things in there!

When I bought my XLR, I concluded the deal on a Tuesday, but did not pick the car up until Friday because it rained Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday! I meant to take the Owner's Manual home with me on Tuesday, but forgot! :pat:

But thanks to this website, I was able to read it cover to cover and was much more familiar with all the controls and features when I picked it up on Friday.

Thanks so much! I'm sure I will be amazed at the things I'll discover! What would I ever do without this forum?!:worship:

Kathi,

My leak started the second day I owned mine when I "bumped" a curb stop at the library. The radiator supports are what hits the curbs if you get too close - look under your front bumper and see if you have any scrapes present on the two curved support brackets.

My radiator was replaced with a "V" radiator...oh - and my radiator support was replaced as well...$1700 later, no radiator leaks...

Kathi,

My leak started the second day I owned mine when I "bumped" a curb stop at the library. The radiator supports are what hits the curbs if you get too close - look under your front bumper and see if you have any scrapes present on the two curved support brackets.

My radiator was replaced with a "V" radiator...oh - and my radiator support was replaced as well...$1700 later, no radiator leaks...

I will check that out. It's very possible that mine could have been "bumped" as well. It's leaked as long as I've had it.

when will fan come on

I drove my car today and it's about 110 out side and ran around town for an hour or so with the air on when I came home I didn't hear the fan , dose the car have to get real hot for it to come on ? my temp was almost 220.

I drove my car today and it's about 110 out side and ran around town for an hour or so with the air on when I came home I didn't hear the fan , dose the car have to get real hot for it to come on ? my temp was almost 220.

Nothing to worry about... mine does the same thing. I believe "Normal" operating temp is around 220. My fan kicks on around 240-250 then cools down to around 200 or so...

The engine cooling fan is a variable speed fan. The ECM controls it. The ECM will enable the fan to a set speed under the following conditions:

Engine coolant temp reaches 204 (low speed) and 235 degrees (high speed.)

Engine oil temp reaches 302 degrees (high speed.)

Transmission oil temp is above 270 degrees (high speed.)

A/C pressure at 87 psi initiates low fan speed and above 360 psi switches it to high speed.

After the ignition is shut off, if the coolant temp is >235 degrees or the A/C pressure is >249 psi, the fan will be commanded to low speed. If the coolant temp drops below 230 or the A/C pressure drops below 241 psi, the fan will shut off. No matter what the coolant temp is, the fan will shut off after two minutes.

I hope this answers your question!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry