Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Fredericksburg Loop

xlr05

My XLR/V(s)
2005 XLR Lt Tarnished Silver
RIV Drive "The Fredericksburg Loop"

A summary for the “Fredericksburg Loop” driving trip to the towns of Gruene and Fredericksburg on Friday 22May09.

Summary of some of the sites and agenda listed below;

We will Gather at 8:30 at Hampton Inn Lobby. I will have copies of the map to handout prior to the drive.
Will leave hotel at 9:00, the group should Arrive at Gruene, Texas about 10:00

The historic town of Gruene was Established by German farmers in 1845
There is a large parking lot behind the “Gruene General Store” located by main roads (shown on the Map)

__The following are some of the businesses in Gruene.__
_Gruene General Store - Selected as one of the 40 best places to visit in Texas

_Gruene Hall "Oldest Dance Hall in Texas" - Gruene Hall is legendary. Not just because it's the oldest, continually operating dance hall in the state of Texas, but also because it has served as both a starting point and a warm limelight to some of the most prolific talent in American history. It has helped launched the careers of such musicians as George Strait, Lyle Lovett and Hal Ketchum, among others. This famous stage has also welcomed the likes of Bo Diddley, The Dixie Chicks, Jerry Lee Lewis, Garth Brooks and Willie Nelson

_The Grape Vine - Specialty Wine, beers, cigars, gourmet gifts and food, and wine accessories for the home.

_Bucks Pottery - Located in a "turn of the century" barn, featuring hand-thrown, wood fired pottery.

_Miss Ruby's - Famous Ya Ya Peppers, candles, jewelry and home decor.

_Hampe House Antiques - Great antique furniture as well as decorative accessories, gourmet foods and gift items

_Gruene Outfitters - Top-of-the-line line outdoor wear, fly tackle, footwear and fine accessories

Lunch option
_ Gristmill River Restaurant & Bar Since 1977. Unique Texas style dining in an 1870s cotton gin beneath the water tower on the Guadalupe River. They have a wide variety of dished from burgers to steaks at fairly reasonable prices. They will give us a off menu reservation and seat us together if we arrive to eat by 11:30am or otherwise it is first come first serve.

Leave Gruene about 12:30 or when you prefer

__Drive to Fredericksburg Texas__
My plan is to drive together to Gruene, then drive to your points of interest along the way to Fredericksburg Texas.
The drive should be beautiful with the lavender and wild flowers in bloom. A lot of the flowers along this route was planted with the help of Lady Bird Johnson foundation.

_____Optional site seeing on the drive__________
_Canyon Lake - Canyon Lake is known as the Water Recreation Capital of Texas. Canyon Lake has beautiful clear water on the rim of the beautiful Texas Hill Country, Canyon Lake has a shoreline of 80 miles.

_LBJ National Park - Lyndon B. Johnson National Historical Park tells the story of our 36th President beginning with his ancestors until his final resting place on his beloved LBJ Ranch. This entire "circle of life" gives the visitor a unique perspective into one of America's most noteworthy citizens by providing the most complete picture of an American president
Visit can be 30 minutes to the entire day
Free Driving Permits & Map and a CD of Tour Route ( 2 hours suggested )

_Flower Farms - Wild Seed Flower FarmBiggest in Nation”

_Fruit Farms - fresh peaches, strawberries and blackberries should be available at the fruit farms.

_Wineries - Torre Di Pietra, Becker Vineyards & Lavender Fields, Grape Creek Vineyards

--Optional route on Map--
_Luchenbach Texas. - Dance Hall & General Store
Legendary Picker Circle with Mississippi’s Danny Terry
Starts at 1:00 - Free Admission

Welcome to Fredericksburg Texas,
Willkommen! located in the very heart of the beautiful Texas Hill Country! We’ve been blending German heritage and Texan hospitality for over 150 years, creating the kind of place that you will want to discover again and again.

Shoppers will find over 150 boutiques, art galleries and antique emporiums, And the men in the crowd can stay busy with the National Museum of the Pacific War to wineries and a brew pub.

The Fredericksburg’s Visitor Information Center is willing to rope off a area in the CVB parking lot which is located a block or so from Main St. This will be great considering that people may be arriving at different times based on where they stop at along the way.

Dinner Options
In Fredericksburg I have had a couple of suggested dinning options one is a Small German place called Der LindenBaum or the German Micro Brewery called Fredericksburg Brewing Co.
The restaurants are first come first serve dinning (see links below)

While in Fredericksburg visit the sites and have dinner and there will be a group drive back to San Antonio will leave the parking lot around 8:00.

All of these stops are optional, this agenda is just to keep people knowing what is going on and have the option to catch up with the group.

--Below are some links--
Gruene, Texas
http://www.gruenetexas.com/history.html
Grist Mill Restaurant
http://gristmillrestaurant.com/about.html

LBJ National Park
http://www.nps.gov/lyjo/planyourvisit/things2do.htm

Fredericksburg, Texas
http://www.fredtexflavors.com/
http://www.fredericksburg-texas.com/index.asp

Fredericksburg Restaurants
Der LindenBaum http://www.derlindenbaum.com/
Fredericksburg Brewing Co. http://www.yourbrewery.com/ .

The following slides are the handout pages for the Fredericksburg Loop. There are town to town driving routes and visit sites along the way.

I will have copies of this to handout prior to the drive at the Hampton Inn Parking Lot. (the paper copy is much easier to read)

Slide1.jpg

Slide2.jpg

Slide3.jpg

Slide4.jpg

Slide5.jpg

Slide6.jpg

Slide7.jpg

Awesome job! You've been busy working on both driving trips. There will be plenty of things for people to see and do. Thanks for the maps and information.

Great job Dale. Looking forward to both trips you and standby have been working on. Both should be great trips and have something for everyone.

Nice job Dale. :worship:

Yes, I agree. VERY nice job. I know from experience that these car related activities are a labor of love, but we want you to know that we realize how much work it is "for some" and that the rest of us REALLY appreciate it. At first, I was excited about a "road trip" with friends and making some new ones, but you guys have really put together some really great events! THANK YOU SO MUCH! ...George

Hey everyone :wave:
I have been up to my eye balls in work :willy_nilly: and haven't checked in lately.

I hope everyone is doing good!! Can't wait to RIV!!!!

I added some of my compiled notes on the Fredericksburg Loop Drive to the first post. To keep all the information on this drive together.

Also, if you have any interest in the CC Gulf or Fredericksburg Loop drives please sign-up with Ruth Ann (Lola's Mom) for us to keep a accurate head count.

Thanks! :)
Dale

Thanks for the updates .... :rocker:

Glad to hear everything is falling into place okay .... I just got a PM from Robin to add him to both drives ... that man do like to drive! :cool:

BTW .... anyone who wants to join us for R4 in San Antonio .... it's not too late until the event ends! Both hotels are still taking reservations .....Even if you want to drive in and join us for lunch or an evening on the RiverWalk .... come on in! We'd love to see you!

Great job, Dale. Looking forward to our trips thru the Great State of Texas!! You and Standby have done a wonderful job setting these events up.

For anyone who has personal Family radios (walkie-talkies) bring them to RIV. This is the best way to keep a caravan together. Most of the Midwest Mauraders have them, so we will be able to share with anyone going on the drives.

Thanks Cubby, I will bring a pair of WW's and I have my IPhone that can get emails and text and I will have my work phone which has PTT (push to talk) but only works with Verizon.
I will know if Hans is going to fly in by next week.
18 days and counting.
Great job, Dale. Looking forward to our trips thru the Great State of Texas!! You and Standby have done a wonderful job setting these events up.

For anyone who has personal Family radios (walkie-talkies) bring them to RIV. This is the best way to keep a caravan together. Most of the Midwest Mauraders have them, so we will be able to share with anyone going on the drives.

Ruth Ann, Make sure Kathy and I are on the lists for both trips for Thursday and Friday.

Pencil in Kathy's mom Jeanie on both lists. She's talking about joining us in TX.

Bruce :wave:

Madam, add Ingrid and Fred to both drives. :willy_nilly: Cant wait to get there and meeting all of you. We will be in SA the same day as the MM's so will try and hook up that afternoon. We expect to arrive around 1pm. By my calculations we have 15 days left. Head em up and move em out.:rocker:

Fred & Ingrid

Wow ....
Be still my heart! .... :love:

What great news to wake up to this morning .... (yeah, I'm just crawling out of bed ... hey! It's Sunday and I'm retired! :))

Jeannie is coming! She will have such a great trip ... I really look forward to meeting her finally .... and our 2nd Corvette to add to the list ... now how cool is this getting to be?? :rocker:

Be careful, Fred .... if you're meeting up with the MM's a day early, take it easy :party... we'd like to see you and Ingrid make it out of bed the next morning :laugh:

Hey, it's starting to feel really "real"! :cool:

Not too late for others to decide to come .... Ray and I didn't decide to come to our first one until about 2 weeks prior ..... I can't imagine that I wouldn't have met all of you if we hadn't made that decision .... there are still rooms at the Hilton .... Anyone sittin' on the fence over this .... join in! We've got cars coming from all over - we can meet you up and the caravans are always just crazy fun .... :pat: :lol:

Still waiting for:
Larry and Shirley Fahrenkamp, Noblesville,IN (MM's!)
Floyd & Maryann Bingel - XLRLover & Southern V --- Spring Hill, FL (BB's!)
Bob & Paula Leonard - rleonard (MM's)

Mr & Mrs Ben Hoffman - XLR28 - Omaha, NE !! Maybe .... c'mon Ben .... let us meet the wifey!
George & Jenny Ray --- Moultrie , GA
Maurice & Linda Tipton - Tip & wife --- Roanoke Rapids, NC

And oh..... GALEN ..... where are you??????

We gonna have big fun on the Bijou. There jumping onboard like flying fish this morning.............Come on down you all!:blinzel:
This may be the best one of all even if we don't have the numbers, because we did it like Jean and Jim..............flying on the cuff.
So many thanks to Jean and Jim for starting this in Albuquerque in 06.
My heart is jumping out of my chest:love:

Wow ....
Be still my heart! .... :love:

What great news to wake up to this morning .... (yeah, I'm just crawling out of bed ... hey! It's Sunday and I'm retired! :))

Jeannie is coming! She will have such a great trip ... I really look forward to meeting her finally .... and our 2nd Corvette to add to the list ... now how cool is this getting to be?? :rocker:

Be careful, Fred .... if you're meeting up with the MM's a day early, take it easy :party... we'd like to see you and Ingrid make it out of bed the next morning :laugh:

Hey, it's starting to feel really "real"! :cool:

Not too late for others to decide to come .... Ray and I didn't decide to come to our first one until about 2 weeks prior ..... I can't imagine that I wouldn't have met all of you if we hadn't made that decision .... there are still rooms at the Hilton .... Anyone sittin' on the fence over this .... join in! We've got cars coming from all over - we can meet you up and the caravans are always just crazy fun .... :pat: :lol:

Still waiting for:
Larry and Shirley Fahrenkamp, Noblesville,IN (MM's!)
Floyd & Maryann Bingel - XLRLover & Southern V --- Spring Hill, FL (BB's!)
Bob & Paula Leonard - rleonard (MM's)
Mr & Mrs Ben Hoffman - XLR28 - Omaha, NE !! Maybe .... c'mon Ben .... let us meet the wifey!
George & Jenny Ray --- Moultrie , GA
Maurice & Linda Tipton - Tip & wife --- Roanoke Rapids, NC

And oh..... GALEN ..... where are you??????

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom