Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Fuel gauge stuck at 2/3 full

I have put regular 87 octane in mine ever since I own her! I never had a problem once and awhile I'll run premium when I'm going on long trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

When I purchased it. I was reading on the Cadillac owners web and other various sites. They said use premium fuel. So I have stuck with that except the one time I felt drowsy.

Octane Choice

From Master Car Repair Technician Mark Salem:

Q: Super or regular unleaded?

A: First, let me make this distinction. Pre 1981 cars do not have the ability to change the timing if the engine is pinging. Cars and trucks made after 1981 have a on board computer that will see the engine pinging and retard the timing to eliminate the ping. Then the computer will try and sneak the timing up, all the time watching to see when the ping comes back. When it does, the timing is moved back a couple of degrees to eliminate the ping.

AAA says only 5 % of the cars on the road today absolutely need super unleaded and I agree. If you in doubt, try this. Have your spouse fill up your car and NOT tell you what fuel they used. Do this 3-4 times. See if you can tell the difference and / or guess which fuel they used. If you can't tell the difference, there is no difference.

I use the cheapest gas I can find in my Corvette. In tests we ran, the zero to 60 time was 1/10 of a second slower with regular when compared to super. Not much reason to pay 35-50 cents more per gallon.

Here's the difference. Regular burns fast, one molecule ignite ten and ten ignite a thousand and they ignite a million. The explosion is similar to a balloon popping. We measure the explosion in milli-seconds. Super burns slower, more like a someone letting a balloon go and fly around the room. One molecule ignites 10, 10 ignite 20, and 20 ignite 30. Now don't start writing me and telling me I'm over simplifying this, I already know it!

So super, because it burns longer, should give you more power, better performance and better mpgs. However, the difference between the two different burn times may only be .8 to 1.2 milliseconds of time and I am quite sure no one I know can feel that. Yes, we can measure that on our dyno in 0-60 mph runs and other tests, but unless you can FEEL the difference, there is no difference.

Are there any other benefits to using super,
like cleaner injectors or a cleaner engine?

No. If you use the cheapest gas you can find, you will save lots of money and when you need to replace, repair, clean your injectors, you'll have plenty of $$ to do that. I can't tell you how many times I bid injector repairs (some as high as $1300 for 6 new injectors on a V-6 Nissan) and the customer says, "But I use super, doesn't that eliminate this repair?" and of course the answer is NO.

Salem Boys Auto

From Master Car Repair Technician Mark Salem:

Q: Super or regular unleaded?

A: First, let me make this distinction. Pre 1981 cars do not have the ability to change the timing if the engine is pinging. Cars and trucks made after 1981 have a on board computer that will see the engine pinging and retard the timing to eliminate the ping. Then the computer will try and sneak the timing up, all the time watching to see when the ping comes back. When it does, the timing is moved back a couple of degrees to eliminate the ping.

AAA says only 5 % of the cars on the road today absolutely need super unleaded and I agree. If you in doubt, try this. Have your spouse fill up your car and NOT tell you what fuel they used. Do this 3-4 times. See if you can tell the difference and / or guess which fuel they used. If you can't tell the difference, there is no difference.

I use the cheapest gas I can find in my Corvette. In tests we ran, the zero to 60 time was 1/10 of a second slower with regular when compared to super. Not much reason to pay 35-50 cents more per gallon.

Here's the difference. Regular burns fast, one molecule ignite ten and ten ignite a thousand and they ignite a million. The explosion is similar to a balloon popping. We measure the explosion in milli-seconds. Super burns slower, more like a someone letting a balloon go and fly around the room. One molecule ignites 10, 10 ignite 20, and 20 ignite 30. Now don't start writing me and telling me I'm over simplifying this, I already know it!

So super, because it burns longer, should give you more power, better performance and better mpgs. However, the difference between the two different burn times may only be .8 to 1.2 milliseconds of time and I am quite sure no one I know can feel that. Yes, we can measure that on our dyno in 0-60 mph runs and other tests, but unless you can FEEL the difference, there is no difference.

Are there any other benefits to using super,
like cleaner injectors or a cleaner engine?

No. If you use the cheapest gas you can find, you will save lots of money and when you need to replace, repair, clean your injectors, you'll have plenty of $$ to do that. I can't tell you how many times I bid injector repairs (some as high as $1300 for 6 new injectors on a V-6 Nissan) and the customer says, "But I use super, doesn't that eliminate this repair?" and of course the answer is NO.

Salem Boys Auto

It doesn't say which model Corvette he is running regular fuel in. I wonder if AAA considers an XLR-V in it's 5%. I run premium in mine, and will continue.

Its your dollars,,,,,

At the time of the above article I posted,,,,Mark was driving a new '06 Corvette...

I'm not trying to convince anyone to use 87 octane,,,,just pointing out what a master tech who understand engines and how they perform, views that topic. Continue to use super premium, if that is what you believe in.....

I recently drove our XLR 3500 miles on vacation, using 87 and 91 octane fill-ups.. Couldn't tell any difference, and got 27.2mpg over the entire trip. The car ran flawlessly,,,and never a ping.

ENJOY your ride....

My point is to say Corvette or XLR is not enough information to make a good call. Is it a ZR-1 or an XLR-V? Different models do make a difference.

Octane

From day one 8 1/2 years ago my first full up was at a shell station and was premium, wish I could gave gotten Sunoco from the east coast, she has never let me down nor ever gone in for engine work in 63,000 miles. Changed my oil every 10,000, and drive it like I stole it.
I could go to Costco or some no name gas station but I don't. I treat my $100,000 car like I would like to be treated, Shell or Chevron are top fuels, and my book says to use premium, that's good enough for me. I'm retired now on a shoe string and would love to pay 20 cents less & treat myself to something nice but I won't............ If it ain't broken, don't fix it.
When I do finally sell it I will feel good that I have given her the best care I could have and be able to tell the new owner that.
I've run everything from rice rockets to even Ferrari's down the strip in Vegas from traffic lights to about 70mph and never been beat, why? because I run ground grabbers that don't leave rubber & squeal which means I'm losing motion for sound. I run Dunlop's soft compound, NASCAR would call them sticker tires. I can mash them from a stand still and they will never squeal or burn rubber. It's called point A to point B.
I had many people in my day like Mickey Thompson, Don Nicolson ask me how I get off the line so fast when I ran at Lions drag strip in LA in the sixty's. Of course I would tell them lies, but my secret was no revving or tach setting, Mash it in second gear which was an automatic until I got one revolution, then drop it down to first with the sticker tires that I used. next thing I would see out of my peripheral vision was a car sliding back until it was gone from view.
I lost only one race that year at the Nationals at Indianapolis in 1963. It was the last race in of two or three day competition in A stock automatic and they used the nod system back then & the flagger pointed at me and I gave him no indication I was ready and when he pointed to the other car he evidently got a node, dropped the flag and the rest was history, that was my trophy run and never forgot what could have been my claim to fame.
Thank you all for going down memory lane with me. If your wondering, you can't make this stuff up.

It doesn't say which model Corvette he is running regular fuel in. I wonder if AAA considers an XLR-V in it's 5%. I run premium in mine, and will continue.

YOU decide what to use...and be content with your decision,,,

My point is to say Corvette or XLR is not enough information to make a good call.

Is it a ZR-1 or an XLR-V?

Different models do make a difference.

I agree with you...... I'm fairly sure Mr. Salem's 'Vette was not a ZO6 or a ZR-1,,,,

As I stated previously,,,, buy/use whatever fuel you are content with....some motors do require $uper octane gas...... the stock XLR Northstar (non-V) is not one of them, IMO.

attachment.php

My '06 Viper SRT10, 505 hp, 500 lbs torx.......I used mid-grade fuel with no problems or knocking....ran fine. [sold this car in 11-13]

attachment.php

My '69 restored Camaro, 350, mild cam, headers, DeMon 4bbl.....I used mid-grade fuel as well, with no problems or knocking....ran fine. [sold this car in 4-14]

attachment.php

Our Prowler's manuals say to use 'premium fuel' in their high-output V6........use regular unleaded only > 145,000 miles driven total on all 3,,,,,no problems or knocking.... all run fine.

ENJOY your RIDE......

Attachments

• A VIPER 1.GIF
    A VIPER 1.GIF
    80.4 KB · Views: 723
  • TRIFEXTA.jpg
    TRIFEXTA.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 626
Ok I don't know if this is the right area to post this. But I did a bad thing. Well I hope not to bad. My check Gage's came on on my HUD. It said low fuel. I think I had a minimum of maybe 5 miles. I was inches to the red mark. So There was a gas station about a mile or less from where I was. I put in my credit card and put the nosel in the gas area. I started to fill up, then put my card in my wallet. I guess I selected the low grade instead of the premium. My question is will that hurt the engine or am I good for this one time? I had a very rough night and am blaming lack of sleep on this mistake. My mom had surgery on her hand and had to take her very early in the morning for her appointment.

HAVE 62,OOO ON MY 2004 XLR & HAVE ALWAYS USED THE LOW GRADE FUEL WITH NO PROBLEMS. ALSO HAVE 2005 STS & USE LOW GRADE FUEL IT HAS 89,000.

Yes that's right. It was one tank. I didn't hear anything so far. Anyway I ran it almost dry. I refilled with the correct fuel. But I don't think the base is as a concern as the v

fuel gauge stuck at 2/3

same problem with fuel gauge stuck at 2/3 took advise of one tread. I purchase the GM gas treatment
Fuel system treatment plus #88861011 worked after one treatment. I going to treat more times but this time I am using a BG fuel treatment

:)

same problem with fuel gauge stuck at 2/3 took advise of one tread. I purchase the GM gas treatment
Fuel system treatment plus #88861011 worked after one treatment. I going to treat more times but this time I am using a BG fuel treatment

What is the BG fuel treatment and what is the difference between that and the GM fuel treatment?

There was a post several years ago, that spoke of this issue and recommended using Techron fuel system cleaner, every few fuel tankfull's to avoid the fuel guage malfunction. I have done so ever since and have not had the issue. It is available at all automotive stores, like NAPA, Advance etc.
Just saying.

Rusty 06 V

There was a post several years ago, that spoke of this issue and recommended using Techron fuel system cleaner, every few fuel tankfull's to avoid the fuel guage malfunction. I have done so ever since and have not had the issue. It is available at all automotive stores, like NAPA, Advance etc.
Just saying.

Rusty 06 V

I had this same problem about 2 years ago while going on a trip down south. I filled up with Premium and added Techrons Fuel Additive before leaving for our trip. It seem to had started after a few fill ups later after filling up at this either Shell or Sonoco gas station that looked like it was from the 60's off of I-95 interstate, It was rundown joint that smelled like a dirty ashtray inside from them smoking inside the building. It was close to the S. Carolina Georgia line. Anyways after leaving there about 20 minutes down the road it show between 1/2 & 3/4 knowing I just filled up, we figured it may of been something with the gas, the rest of trip the gauge barley moved. But in the end after returning from the repair shop it ended up not being anything to do with fuel it was a corroded connector from the fuel tank to gauge! :dunno: WHO OF KNOWN:dunno:

Thanks, Phrede... which do you think is better, BG or Techron?

Can't really say, I've never used either. I've not had the problem, but do use Sea Foam. Can't say it has had an effect or not. It is hard to argue with the success others have had with Techron.

Can't really say, I've never used either. I've not had the problem, but do use Sea Foam. Can't say it has had an effect or not. It is hard to argue with the success others have had with Techron.

I agree, I use Techron on a regular basis. I have never had the problem, so I figure better be safe than sorry...

Techtron Works!!

My fuel gauge has been stuck between 3/4 to 1/4 for over a year. Decided to be aggressive and put Techtron in every tankful for since pulling my XLR out of winter slumber. After about 4 tankfuls - I went to fill up the tank and the gauge went all the way to FULL! My trip to Virginia Beach gave me plenty of fuel to run through the car - I brought a few bottles with for the trip as well.

So far, so good - A few bucks for Techtron, and avoided hundreds of $'s to replace sending unit. I will be a regular user of it now.

If anyone else has fuel gauge issues - try the Techtron first... be patient, let it work. :thumbsup

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom