Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Important! headlamps

Stella

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004xlr
wanted to know if theirs any precautionary steps to avoid headlamps from melting like others have on the forum. My headlights are in perfect shape and I want to keep them that way. Also would like to know if theirs updates or recall info on my specific car and I'm not the original owner and out of warranty are those services free and how do I find out? Any info would be appreciated.

As I understand it, the melting issue is not with the headlights, it is with the Daylight Running Lights (DRL). The lens on the DRL starts to melt and looks crystalized or crazed. Several members on the forum turn their DRLs off when they drive (turn the HL switch on turn signal stalk down from the 'Auto' position and let it return to 'Auto'). If you have a 2004 and it does not have the problem, I would think you may be out of the woods. I also have a 2004 and I have not had the problem, but then again I am in the process of replacing the incandescent bulb with a LED so it will never occur (LEDs run much cooler than regular bulbs). Since your car is out of warranty I would think that any dealer repair would be for fee and not for free.

I would think that the DRL issue is known to Cadillac and be considered to be a TSB repair and fixed for free. I would check with the dealer, I am sure others will chime in on the subject.
:cool:

I was told any warranty coverage on this expired long ago. I bought mine used, replaced the lights myself and am now religious about turning off my DRL's, plus off looks so much better. Enjoy your car.
Bruce

Thanks for all the info! What light bulb is the culprit? When my lights are on I've tried the roll back to auto and didn't see a change in lights except they turned off. I do like driving with the fogs on looks better. I've seen headlights on eBay for sale with burnt lenses looks like the larger orange bulb in the center top of headlight does the crispin? I thought that's the turn signal and only goes on as indicated? I am gonna replace bulbs to l.e.d. But don't want anything to happen until then.:willy_nilly:

The large amber bulb serves as both turn signal and DRL. The DRL circuit is only activated when a drive gear is engaged.

It isn't the bulb, but the bezel material in front of the DRL bulb that crazes. The headlights were modified with a new bexel material subsequently. This is why the problem is usually related to 04-05 model years.

There are numerous in-depth posts here on this subject.

CC :wave:

Took the car out yesterday for a sunday drive and into the night. Tried headlight,DRL'S, was in gear and the orange bulb center top of light was not laminated until I turned the turn signal on. The car is new to me and only seen a couple around during the day, didn't even look or think to look. Was their a update that could have been made or bulb has filament burnt? Anybody find an EXACT color match for hid foglight conversion?:willy_nilly:

Took the car out yesterday for a sunday drive and into the night. Tried headlight,DRL'S, was in gear and the orange bulb center top of light was not laminated until I turned the turn signal on. The car is new to me and only seen a couple around during the day, didn't even look or think to look. Was their a update that could have been made or bulb has filament burnt? Anybody find an EXACT color match for hid foglight conversion?:willy_nilly:

I have 6000k HID headlamps and fog lamps that are technically an exact match. Here is the issue that I encountered, and you will also.....the fog lights will have a slight blue tinge to them due to the silver reflectors in the fog lamps. The light emitted is 6000k white, but appearance to the naked eye they will have a blue tinge.

:cool:

The "D"aytime "R"unning "L"ights do not come on at night. They only function at the turn signal when it gets dark.

I did the HID conversion and went with the 6000K - a tad bluer than the stock headlights. I would think the 5000K kit would match the stock headlights real good.

The amber lights act only as a turn signal or Daytime Running Lights. At night, the "running lights" are the small lights on the inside between the headlights and turn signals. Most foreign cars have gotten away from having the turn signals on as running lights (or parking lights as they are commonly know as too). The XLR does not run the turn signals as parking lights.

Hope this info helps. No such thing as a dumb question ... its hard to know what is "normal" since you don't see too many of them out and about. Any more questions, just ask away. :wave:

Can't wait to meet you. Take care.

Perhaps a bit off thread topic, but in the general vicinity... has anyone found a good, bright LED replacement for the DRL/TS amber incandescent? I've ungraded and changed everything else up front, and actually like the brightness/hue of the OEM bulbs, but just looking to complete the conversion at some point down the line if I can find an acceptable LED alternative. Thanks!

Perhaps a bit off thread topic, but in the general vicinity... has anyone found a good, bright LED replacement for the DRL/TS amber incandescent? I've ungraded and changed everything else up front, and actually like the brightness/hue of the OEM bulbs, but just looking to complete the conversion at some point down the line if I can find an acceptable LED alternative. Thanks!

I replaced my DRL/TS incandescents yesterday w/LEDs from dt-autotech on ebay. I bought 45 LED lamps and they are as bright or brighter than the OEM bulbs. I added resistors, but I am not sure you need them. When I did my initial tests to confirm polarity, I did not get any burned out bulb message and they functioned normally. I added the resistors anyway - nothing like a belt and suspenders.

Here is a link to the items I ordered on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230691726130?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

agwondra... do you have an item number for that amber LED? Thx!

I like the idea of reducing the heat in the light housings a lot but am curious if the resistors bring the amp draw back to original or do they work in some other manor and reduce overall amp load ?? I am guessing the same amps as orig.

I like the idea of reducing the heat in the light housings a lot but am curious if the resistors bring the amp draw back to original or do they work in some other manor and reduce overall amp load ?? I am guessing the same amps as orig.

Incandescent use the resistance of the tungsten filament to produce heat and thus the light they emit. LED bulbs do not use heat to produce the light. The resistors just replace the resistance of the tungsten filament and fool the car into thinking the incandescent bulb is still in the circuit and not burned out. The amp draw should be unchanged.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom