Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Headlights replacement

Hi XLR owners.

I had a photo done showing that the wheelhouse of the headlight well and the fender removed, would show you all the good room that is available for introducing the suggested Maxima headlights 2004/06 and 2007/09.

The second photo is the +/- measurements of the XLR headlight that you can your self been able to make your own idea of the fitment of these headlights, having these photos made become a serious possibility to have a solution to the XLR problem.

The next one is the 2007/09 headlight that look smaller vs the 2004/06 light, the interior design is however not similar to the XLR and not as nice. ( it is a matter of choice )

The next photo is the 2006/09 as you can appreciate it look nicer and the design interior is similar to the XLR, it looks larger and it sounds that it is on the interior fender/engine side portion that the line is more curved.
That headlight would look great on a XLR.

The choice is great for you on internet, as the prices for a good used one, is economical and available mostly with HID xenon lighting, the halogen are also available with the headlight harness for both of them, there are some very low prices ones available that could be purchased as for using it for the fitment on the XLR headlight housing.
The new ones are mostly halogen, and also Xenon lighting, however the price of them are as per your choice of bulb type.

Hope you enjoying it…. as for me it is so.

My next thread will on the how it could fit on the XLR.

IAN :wave:

2006-Cadillac-Xlr-front-left-36113797[1].jpg5   5-20779745[1] (2).jpgs-l1600[1].jpgs-l1600[3] (2).jpg

Hi XLR owners.

We have seing how could the maximas headlights fit on our XLR, now lets have a look behind the maxima headlights and its attachements.

The next photo is one off from a 2005 Maxima headlight with Xenon HID, out of the 4 tabs, the plastic
one from hood side has to be removed, ( keep it for reusing it for other purposes ).
The one on the rear light steel tab has 2 screws and also is to be remove,,,,,it can be use to adapted on the XLR fender socket with the XLR headlight guide pin. ( it would require a hand made bracket with the available XLR guide pin )

The other tabs in the front of light is to be kept for the fitment and evaluated its need for the headlight HI/LO adjustment and fitting, the one the fender side could be needed for the XLR fender attachement.

The ballast has to be removed and secure on the headlight side, screws available openings are for a hand made bracket attachement.
Its headlight attachement triangular pattern and the choice of screw or studs or bolts are to be use for the adapter plate and used as the base in sitting at the lower shelf of the XLR headlight well.

The Harnes holder bracket is also to be removed and relocated, 2 screws are holding it in place.

The next photo is the drawing of the XLR open headlight well, it is giving a load of informations on what is to be made for the fitment of the Maxima headlight. your knowhow become very important in how to get it in and adjusted perfectly.
With a Dremel cutting tool some of the fender fiberglass edges could to be cut in in order to fit the Maxima light within the XLR headlight well.
With the help of a sticker/ribbon get the cut pieces together for reusing them at different place needed and as the refilling pieces for the headlight area of the openings.

On my next thread we will see how an adapter plate could be made.

IAN :wave:.

s-l1600[2].jpgd   2007-09-01_204519_maxialtheadlight2[1].png

Hi XLR owners.

As previously said, now let see how an adapter plate could be made-up, obviously been doing it in place on the car would be the ideal way, however with the drawings and photos it still also possible.

On the attached drawing is the RH side wheelhouse and the headlight anchorage shelf to be use as a references for a template for the adapter plate, it could be use for both side as it can be reversed to match the LH side shelf.

A 3/8'' hard material can be use for making the adapter plate, ounce it been cut the holes should be made as per the present XLR shelf with its ajustements opening for the front and rear movements.

Three inches stove bolt is a good choice it has a tin round head, its square lower of the bolt is to be as per the opening holes of the shelf in order to lock them in place and some plastic hand made washer are to made in order to stop it moving upward
The photo of the adapter plate is shown,,,, in order for you to see the measurements it would be wise to confirm it on the light shelf it sel.

Then the adapter plate will have to be install on the lower of the Maxima headlight.
Enclosed is a photo of how the adapter plate should look like, the openings should be made on the different way for maxima light in order to make the adjustments for the LH and RH movements.

Also find a photo of the maxima light ballast, in order to make it easier for doing the template & the adapter plate.

The ballast is also to be use as a guide, for the angle on the adapter plate, and the precise opening should be made.
The Maxima nuts opening positions are and were the headlamp is really situated for fitting on.
This way it will perfectly sitting the Maxima headlight within the XLR housing it self, with less adjustments needs.

Then this adapter plate has to be bolt on first, at the Maxima light, in order to make the adjustments easier and then on the XLR shelf.

The next thread will be the conclusion.

IAN :thumbsup

10351795-insulator-front-fender-2[1] - Copie.jpgA4     s-l1600[1] (5).jpg3a   61QUrnQ176L (1).jpgd   2007-09-01_204519_maxialtheadlight2[1] (2).png

Last edited:
Ian, What headlight from what vehicle is the best choice with minimum modification for our XLR's ? I may want to buy a couple.
John F.

Hi John.

The maxima 2004/06 and 2007/09 have pretty well the same shape and it will required perhaps the same conversions.
The 07/09 looks some what different, its interior design and on the fender engine side, the light seems smaller, it depend of your choice.

If you are fine DIY you will have fun in doing the changes, would I had to change my headlights ( like I did with my car tail light ) I would first get an old lamp at a very low price , a damaged one on the lens would be of no real importance as long that the casing and its rear components are in place for you to evaluate the changes to be made.

I am glad to see that you looking forward to do the conversion and you would be the first XLR owner to get the headlights replaced with the maxima headlight look.
When comparing both cars the Nissan have a lot similar lines, the Japanese are very good in repeating the US car models and the North America car builders are very good in buying
also
their Asian products.

Let me know the changes made and if I can help you doing it I would be glad to help you in the changes.

Good luck.

IAN

Ian, I have no plans on doing any conversions at this time. I just wanted to know what light would be a good replacement if the need arises and hopefully it won't.
John F.

Hi John.

With all the search made since, the Maxima is my first choice,,,, on the previous thread I explained the why.

The Maxima headlights have 2 models, with both same casing, same tabs, same concept.

The differences are, one with the alike XLR interior lamps design and second one with a new interior design.

Its like the XLR base model 2009 and the V model, witch one is the best choice,,,,,, it is a matter of needs and taste, both are alike, your choice would be yours,,, I agreed, it is not necessary easy to make.

Regards.

IAN:thumbsup.

Hi XLR owners.

I was able to find an other XLR photo ( not so good ) in the reverse position that shows were studs attachements are located, in comparing both headlights , we can see that both patterns are not necessary in line, even if they do look the same.

In order to facilitated the plate adapter to be properly fixed in place, you will find a revised photo that indicate were the opening holes are to be made for the attachement of the Maxima headlight on the XLR housing.

These suggestions are only for you to have an idea what could be done, and only when the fitting would be made on the XLR itself by a know how person ( DIY ) that could confirm these suggestions, are fines.

I have also included a photo of the wiring colors, were they are on the Maxima headlight connector, with the help of the photos I was able to obtain the wires postions, again that remains to be confirm with the Nissan wiring diagram.
The XLR side marker light is probably of no use on the Maxima headlight and they perhaps could be use as an accessory, led strips .

Regards

IAN :wave: ( The conclusion will be next thread, finally )

SAL    12767963_9X[1] (24).jpgs-l1600VK832EVQ - Copie.jpgd   2007-09-01_204519_maxialtheadlight2[1] (2).jpg3a   s-l1600[1] (6).jpg

Last edited:
Hi XLR Owners.:wave:

It has been a long session In making this thread, however it was very instructive for me, as if one day I would need to replace the headlights of my old 2004 XLR.

My long experience in the car industry got me to do it and my passion for this car got me to pass on the finds on how it could be made, your viewing of this thread got me also to carry on, close to 2400 */- viewer with in a month was a real motivation in doing theses search.:thumbsup

Remember,,,, if you do not have the know how, get a person that does,,,, a body shop could do it, by supplying them with my search, it could perhaps help also to reduce the amount on labor to do this conversion.
The fender/headlight housing will needs some alterations as mentioned previously, and other will be needed when doing this conversion.:dunno:

Does the headlight problem is solved, NO, only some accessible$$ new headlights would ( like the quality ones on the after market ) be the real solution, in the mid time this thread offer you a solution in keeping our old XLR rolling.

The 2004,05,06 XlR values are on strong trend down, or it will be very soon, presently the 2007,08,09 value are good for now and the owners can spend the money for its value, contrary of the old ones its do not worth to spend some large amount of money for an headlights or tail light.:blinzel:

I am please to pass on my search in getting at least a solution to the Headlight problem.
( sorry for the grammar )

IAN :reddevil:laugh:

Last edited:
Hi XLR owners.

It is a mystery with GM, we can understand that their responsabilities to support the XLR has ended, however why is the aftermarket then are reproducing the headlights for all the other Cadillac models and none for the XLR.

We all know that the agreements with the headlights makers and GM works closely togethers, it would be welcome if GM would explain this mysterious none availability of their product, i am sure they are reading our efforts that is done for keeping the XLR on the road, would they really care, the sad thing is….. probably a, no. would they explain the why….. probably again a, no

Never the less find some photos showing a DTS with an aftermarket headlight including the update features and styles, also a truck after market headlight, both are similar to the XLR with different measurements and headlights sises, why then the XLR is banish of their production.

Mystery…..

IAN.
[SUB][SUP]<strike>
</strike>[/SUP][/SUB]
1   2008_cadillac_xlr_15570587185bc6d5e3b3D043E24-E04C-41C5-9110-D51405699E25-e1557442818322-940.jpgs-l1600[4] (2).jpgs-l1600[2] (3).jpg

Last edited:
Hi Sally,

Not 2 times, but different sise as previously mentioned, the lower of the '' truck '' headlight is about 2 inches ++ higher because its hi profile ''truck'' body, if you take that as a consideration the balance of the measurements are similar then the DTS ( STS ).

The DTS photo is smaller of 20% and that give not a proper impression, the DTS is also a hi profile ''sedan'' body style of about 1 inches ++ compare with the XLR.

The XLR is longer of about 4 inches +- and lower of about 1 inches ++….. compare with the truck and the DTS ( STS ), the Hi and low beams are on lower level of the headlight, because of its lower ''body sport car'' style.

I found that other recent Cadillac Models could go on the XLR, However their prices are much too hi for the old XLR value and the owners budget.

Regards.

IAN.:wave:

Last edited:
Hi Sally.

Very simple…. make a scale for each photo, the Hi/low beam is 3'' for all xenon lens, this is a perfect scale to use.

With the help of your PC screen cursor, used it as a compas and count the number of time that the scale was need to get from the point A to B.
Find enclose a photo of a beam drawing for you to exercise.
The fender side rear of the Headlight of each photos are a fine area for a point A to B measurement.

Obviously the truck light is of a different sise, however the lower headlight moulding is not part of the lights, that contribute also to make it look much bigger.

Observation and imagination…..gets the solution.

Regards.

IAN.:blinzel:

There where 20 times as many DTS Cadillac's made as there were XLRs.
That's why they make aftermarket headlights for them and not the XLR..

Hi XLR owners.

It is a mystery with GM, we can understand that their responsabilities to support the XLR has ended, however why is the aftermarket then are reproducing the headlights for all the other Cadillac models and none for the XLR.

We all know that the agreements with the headlights makers and GM works closely togethers, it would be welcome if GM would explain this mysterious none availability of their product, i am sure they are reading our efforts that is done for keeping the XLR on the road, would they really care, the sad thing is….. probably a, no. would they explain the why….. probably again a, no

Never the less find some photos showing a DTS with an aftermarket headlight including the update features and styles, also a truck after market headlight, both are similar to the XLR with different measurements and headlights sises, why then the XLR is banish of their production.

Mystery…..

IAN.
[SUB][SUP]<strike>
</strike>[/SUP][/SUB]
View attachment 9357View attachment 9358View attachment 9359

There where 20 times as many DTS Cadillac's made as there were XLRs.
That's why they make aftermarket headlights for them and not the XLR..

Hi David.

The aftermarket headlights maker such as VALEO are producing also the lights for the car makers like GM.

Producing the Headlights for any Cadillac, it do not hold them to reproduce the lights for any Cadillac models that are so much alike the XLR, the GM flagship. ( the XLR dont look like any other cars,,,its the others that looks like the XLR )

This headlight maker is profitable that is a fact and they works very closely with GM in supplying all sort of lights for the old and recent models, not reproducing them is very cheap as they let their customers (like us?) down the drain.

The present aftermarket DTS headlights photo shows with no doute that these alike lights can be made with a very low cost, so why not for the XLR, no ones wants to tell us the whys.

The Headlights are Asian products components put together in mexico and many other countries that have cheap labor force and could be call a US product ?

Strange…. yes it is.

By the way…. the made DTS models, do not have all the same alike XLR headlights.

IAN:wave:

Last edited:
Hi XLR Owners.

A reminder... that the replacement of all Bulbs (a safety aspect) is Recommanded to be done at the Dealers.(only ?)

However, since few years, they dont have available an headlight assembly for their XLR customers. (discontinued light)

Find the error.

IAN:dunno:

Hi David.

The aftermarket headlights maker such as VALEO are producing also the lights for the car makers like GM.

Producing the Headlights for any Cadillac, it do not hold them to reproduce the lights for any Cadillac models that are so much alike the XLR, the GM flagship. ( the XLR dont look like any other cars,,,its the others that looks like the XLR )

This headlight maker is profitable that is a fact and they works very closely with GM in supplying all sort of lights for the old and recent models, not reproducing them is very cheap as they let their customers (like us?) down the drain.

The present aftermarket DTS headlights photo shows with no doute that these alike lights can be made with a very low cost, so why not for the XLR, no ones wants to tell us the whys.

The Headlights are Asian products components put together in mexico and many other countries that have cheap labor force and could be call a US product ?

Strange…. yes it is.

By the way…. the made DTS models, do not have all the same alike XLR headlights.

IAN:wave:

Hi XLR Owners.

Find enclosed a photo of a Nissan hi line model Headlight lens ( cover ).

The lens can be deliver to your door for less then $25, its shape is very alike the XLR.

The Asian are the best ones to produce at a very very low cost the headlights for all makes of car.( producing it here money wise, is almost impossible )

What hold them for not producing a such lens, let see for the price of $150 shipping included, that is a mystery only ''god'' can tell, I am sure many of us would appreciated a such replacement parts for our XLR.

Saying that the XLR is a low produced car is the regular answer, however how many Cadillac that the XLR ( flagship) has created the sales of all the other Cadillac alike from 2004 2009.

That no ones has the answer, again, or would not get involved into this problem.

Is the XLR deserve a such treatment of so many parts no longer available….

absolutely NO.

IAN:(

Nissan-Tiida-C12-Headlight-Lenses-Cover-Plastic-Glasses[1] - Copie.jpg

Hi XLR owners.

Find attached some photos of the XKE a great references in the luxurious sports cars build.

Note that the headlight of this magnificent car, were one the first headlights in the style of the XLR
These headlights contribute strongly in the magnificent style of the Jaguar.

If I had to replace my XLR headlights, because of a car accident I would consider to use the 7'' headlights of a retro old car and fit them into that XLR housing.
The cost seems acceptable and I would convert the reflector ( seal beam ) with
the led bulbs. ( no need of Xenon )
1969_jaguar_xke_22_1553646812d2a8ba3b973450bf6aScreen-Shot-2019-03-26-at-5.31.26-PM[1].jpgjaguar-e-type-with-nissan-370z-headlights-and-taillights-but-why-120226-7[1].jpg

Also find an other XKE with the headlights of an other sport car, I suspect that this fine car conversion was done because of the purchase previously of a nude Jaguar, with no front and rear bumpers, no headlights, no lamps front and rear of any types, no engine, no seats, no wheels... only the name plate and crest were remained.

Why I am suspect…..the rear/front tractions are much wider, so this unitised body could be bolted on a frame ( corvette ???? ) the front and rear fender were pup out to receive also the much bigger tires and wheels.

Is this what we can expected when our XLR will be part out, yes…. it could be very well it, the new and young generations with imaginations have always done it….why not putting back in live an old XLR….. in a near futur.

XLR sound like XKE....is in it.

IAN:thumbsup

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry