Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Help me please... Base or 'V'

Ozzie

My XLR/V(s)
2007 'V' -Black Raven
I'm a newbe (very first post), I'm looking at a 2006 "Star Black Limited" Base with 17,500 mile for $28,500, is that a good deal??? I'm just afraid a year from now I'll wish I held off for a "V". Surprise… none like this in a 'V' that’s even near that price range. (BTW, my other toy is an all original ’59 Corvette.) :dunno:

Totally your decision, but quite a few of us who started with a base model eventually wound up with a "V." So, if you are able to swing the cost of a "V" you certainly won't be disappointed.

I would just roughly figure $10,000 more for a v whatever the year and condition. I bought a v and like you considered both, and finally decided I didn't want to ever look at my car and think what if.
I don't and have never regretted it.

V or Not to V

I agree with Airmike, I did not want to get to the point where I was unhappy with the base XLR. I felt if I was going to go for it then I should "Go All The Way" With the Big Dog. With that being said, I could not be happier with the V. Bluehawk:laugh:

As stated before - it really all depends on what you can afford. I could no way, afford a "V" model at the time - so I looked for an affordable BASE XLR. I love my XLR and yes, I will someday, upgrade to a V. Do I regret getting the BASE XLR? Absolutely now - it has plenty of enough power to keep up with most of the V's that we travel with. Keeping up has never been a problem for me. Since I have never driven a V, I guess I don't know what I am missing yet. My plan is to keep an eye out for an affordable V, then sell my BASE to my son (when he can afford it) - I cannot see myself ever NOT owning an XLR at this point.
In my opinion - I don't think you would regret EITHER purchase. But, if you could afford a V - I'd say "go for it all". :wave:

FWIW, I think that's a very good deal on an '06 limited edition w/ that few miles on it. I'd check to make sure it's never been in an accident, flood, etc...

I can't opine as to the "V" performance difference, but I expect that it's substantial. I only know that my base model is the fastest CAR I own, a delight to drive (especially in the mountains) and gets compliments every time I take it out. When I want to really go fast, I take my bike out. It's an unrestricted Suzuki Hayabusa, and I'll bet a beer it can even put Gizmo's "V" away. :chuckle That model was listed in the Guinness Book of Records as, "The World's Fastest Production Motorcycle". There are videos available showing one going thru France at 215 mph.

BTW, my other "toy" is a '64 Corvette roadster. It's a 4-speed, with the 327 cubic inch small block, that's been rebuilt to the 350 HP spec's, blueprinted, modern valves and seats, etc. It's a "survivor", so one of these days I'll have to face repainting it, I guess. :dunno:

Tim
I'm a newbe (very first post), I'm looking at a 2006 "Star Black Limited" Base with 17,500 mile for $28,500, is that a good deal??? I'm just afraid a year from now I'll wish I held off for a "V". Surprise… none like this in a 'V' that’s even near that price range. (BTW, my other toy is an all original ’59 Corvette.) :dunno:

It sounds like you have found a really nice XLR @ a fair price. I don't think you will be disappointed with the performance of the base XLR, they run & handle great. :wave:

Split here...never driven a base...when I started to look, the v was the only one around. But I heard the normally aspirated XLR with a corsa exhaust...sweet sound. I say that you would be happy with either...they are just rare...If the one you are looking at has no issues, I say "take it"

Us XLR V owners are not as fast as the CTS-V anyway lol...so for all of the reasons that the XLR is a plain joy to drive, I would not fret as to the base vs. the V.

Or look at it this way; I believe these cars are done dropping in value...if you decide to sell, you will get your money back

they are just rare...If the one you are looking at has no issues, I say "take it"

Or look at it this way; I believe these cars are done dropping in value...if you decide to sell, you will get your money back

WELL SAID! My "normal with a Corsa" has held it's value well over the 2 years I've had it. It's got plenty good acceleration for my needs & adding the Corsa tops it off. I don't think of any of these as "hot rods" & the 320 horses hustle it pretty well.

I should add that I have been a go fast aholic for all my life and there are plenty of people that have NO desire to drive like I do. Ozzie, I can't speak for you, knowing nothing about you. I had a 2000 trans am that had 335 hp so it must have been very comparable to the base xlr in acceleration, and the performance was able to keep me happy. Not to say satisfied, though. I loved driving that car and kept it for a while after I got the v, because it was still fun. People like me lust after the cts-v also. I will NEVER get rid of my xlr, but if I can one day get a cts-v also, I would. I know of at least 2 people that got rid of an xlr-v to get a cts-v. There are people that own a Zr1 vette that have never spun the tires, so what is the point?, maybe the status, maybe the wow factor. A certain amount of ego gets involved.

Man you are on your own!!! Like Busa man I own a fast crotch rocket, so we are not normal in the first place :dunno:

I have base model and have driven a V as well. As fas as I'm concerned, the base has PLENTY "get up and go"... I have no problems getting around anything that's going slower in front of me in RECORD TIME... no matter how fast they are going to begin with.
I think you'd be happy with either...

Horsepower wise, it's 320 vs 443, so it's not like a night and day difference. If you want big horsepower, go for a CTS-V coupe with 556!

In 2005, there were no V's, they didn't come along until 2006. I don't feel like I'm missing anything, I love my 2005. No plans to ever trade mine, will be keeping it as long as I can drive!

But I can understand the pride of XLR-V owners as well.

Another note, XLR-Vs do not have adaptive cruise control.

Also, insurance rates may be an issue, check with your insurance agent first!

Good luck and hope you make the right choice (for you). You can't go wrong either way!

Oh, and by the way, one of my other cars is an all-orignal 1966 GTO that I purchased from the original owner in 1972!

No deal!!!

Thanks everyone for your input, now the bad news... this is my email to my salesperson on Monday evening (cut & paste) :mad:

WOW, what a way to do business.

We talked on Thursday (13[SUP]th[/SUP]); you asked me what time on Monday I would be there & I said that I would be dropped my wife off to work around 6:30am then make the 3-hour trip, so count on me around 9:30am, you said “Perfect”. You also said you would fax me paperwork “in a few minutes” & follow up with a phone call on Saturday… the fax never happened.

I called on Friday to see why no fax on Thursday and they said you had the day off but would return on Saturday so I asked one of your co-workers to fax me the CarFax (I reminded her again you said you would call me Saturday before noon).

Saturday; No calls, not before I left @ Noon, not all day (I checked my caller ID when I returned home that evening)???

Today I made the 3-hour trip, arrived @ 9:15am & was told by your sales manager that not only were you not there for our appointment but the car had already been sold & was picked up by your Chevy dealership last week.

Sooooo, I spent 6-hours of driving time, $13.00 in tolls & $60.00 in gas for NOTHING…

THANK YOU CRISTINA !!!

PS;
Joe Powers at least show me the XLR at your sister dealership, turns out in was in your PAINT SHOP getting the driver’s door repainted, not in your DETAIL SHOP like you had told me on Thursday. From the way the car looked, it had been a very long time since it had been in any Detail Shop.

You're right... what a way to do business. Guess this one just wasn't meant to be... there will be others, maybe a V IS in your future after all?? Good luck in your search...

You're right... what a way to do business. Guess this one just wasn't meant to be... there will be others, maybe a V IS in your future after all?? Good luck in your search...

To 'V' or not to 'V', that is the question. Either will be a nice fit with my C-1 & C-6... I'm thinking the closer to winter we get maybe the better deal I'll get??? Those CTS-V Coupes look pretty hot too? :dunno:

there are 14 xlr-v cars for sale on carsforsale.com and 120 more if you search xlr.....I sure wouldn't give that dealer another look.

Yup, a few rolling off warranty. I am sure that, by reading the excellent tips here, the issues can be dealt with.

Not to be CTS bashing...I love those cars, it was interesting to see a few (well, more than a few ) at the Cadillac corral...recent Sonoma raceway event. One of the owners, discovered a new rock ding/chip...felt his pain! It is a bit of help that the XLR has composite panels...no door dings lol! - and that helps with the rocks.

The XLR is the most expensive caddy to produce to date...with the ones out there, your perfect car awaits!

Thanks everyone for your input, now the bad news... this is my email to my salesperson on Monday evening (cut & paste) :mad:

WOW, what a way to do business.

We talked on Thursday (13[SUP]th[/SUP]); you asked me what time on Monday I would be there & I said that I would be dropped my wife off to work around 6:30am then make the 3-hour trip, so count on me around 9:30am, you said “Perfect”. You also said you would fax me paperwork “in a few minutes” & follow up with a phone call on Saturday… the fax never happened.

I called on Friday to see why no fax on Thursday and they said you had the day off but would return on Saturday so I asked one of your co-workers to fax me the CarFax (I reminded her again you said you would call me Saturday before noon).

Saturday; No calls, not before I left @ Noon, not all day (I checked my caller ID when I returned home that evening)???

Today I made the 3-hour trip, arrived @ 9:15am & was told by your sales manager that not only were you not there for our appointment but the car had already been sold & was picked up by your Chevy dealership last week.

Sooooo, I spent 6-hours of driving time, $13.00 in tolls & $60.00 in gas for NOTHING…

THANK YOU CRISTINA !!!

PS;
Joe at least show me the XLR at your sister dealership, turns out in was in your PAINT SHOP getting the driver’s door repainted, not in your DETAIL SHOP like you had told me on Thursday. From the way the car looked, it had been a very long time since it had been in any Detail Shop.

***Get this... the dealership just called me (1-week later) to say their deal fell through & the car is now available again if I still want it!!!

I told them I wouldn't buy from them NOW it it was the only car left on the planet. :laugh:

Well.... I have found two 'V’ cars; a 2006 w/11K miles in silver & an 2007
w/17K miles in black ??? Both are close in price @ $40k w/the silver one being
7-hours away from me & the black one being 3-hours away. Waiting to see
which one moves on their asking price the most. My Vettes are both black and of
course very sharp when clean but a ton of work to get there, silver may be a
nice change?
woohoo.gif
<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
<!-- / message -->

Mine is silver and it stays clean looking. The dust barely shows on it.
I have never driven a base XLR but I sure like the way my V runs.:cool:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back