Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

HOSE LEAK

mtrocket

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2007 Red Jewel XLR
After finally getting my top working correctly every time (one switch replacement and two sensors)... now I have a hose leak. When the top comes up to the closed position, I have hydraulic oil shooting out toward the rear window from the right headliner area about where the door meets the quarter window. My collision repair diagram (also the dealer's diagram) shows the only hose running along the roof line being on the left side, this hose being the header latch hose. Is there a hose that runs along the right roof line or is the diagram showing the hose on the wrong side?
thanks, I just want to make sure I order the correct hose...
:rocket:
mtrocket (Rod)

Each hose has a unique ID number stamped into the manifold. You should get the correct one as long as you trace the hose and get the correct number(s).

I believe both header latch hoses run along the driver's side. I don't believe there are any on the passenger's side top, other than the trunk opening cylinder, but that isn't under the headliner.....

Document ID: 1373167
Folding Top Hydraulic Cylinder Hose Identification

1357373.gif

Each cylinder is serviced by 2 hoses:
• The rod end (1)
• The closed end (2)​

1357374.gif

Each hose has an identification number stamped on the cylinder side and on the pump side near the connection point. Corresponding numbers are also stamped on the pump manifold plate to aid in identification.
The following chart identifies the hose that supplies fluid to each specific cylinder.

Hydraulic Cylinders
Hose Location and Number
Rod End
Closed End
Folding Top Compartment Lid Hydraulic Cylinder Hose - Rear
41 - Left
43 - Right
42 - Left
44 - Right
Folding Top Hydraulic Cylinder Hose
11 - Left
13 - Right
12 - Left
14 - Right
Folding Top Latch Hydraulic Cylinder Hose
Folding Top Storage Compartment Closeout Panel Hydraulic Cylinder Hose - Front
Folding Top Storage Compartment Panel Hydraulic Cylinder Hose - Rear
31 - Left
33 - Right
35 - Left
37 - Right
Bruce :)

Each hose has a unique ID number stamped into the manifold. You should get the correct one as long as you trace the hose and get the correct number(s).

I believe both header latch hoses run along the driver's side. I don't believe there are any on the passenger's side top, other than the trunk opening cylinder, but that isn't under the headliner.....

Then it's really strange... since the fluid is definately coming out the passenger side, right at the roof line, rear window joint. It's only squirting after the top closes and (what I assume) the header latch is operatiing. It squirts only for maybe half a second, but it sure makes a mess on the rear window and shelf area...
Rod AKA mtrocket :rocket:

There is a line/hose on either side of the roof that runs up to the header latch.

Bruce :D

There is a line/hose on either side of the roof that runs up to the header latch.

Bruce :D
Talked to GM dealer, the latch hose kit includes both #51 & #52 hoses . Probably figure that if one blew, the other is going to go also. Ordered the hose kit... according to the service manual, they are quite enjoyable to install. Can hardly wait!!!
Rod

Just to check, I took a look at my #51 & 52 hose routing for the header latch and both are located on the passenger side. I have no hydraulic lines on the driver side. (My car being an '04.) Are the other year models different?

CCC

The lines/hoses are routed on the same side then seperate and go to both the left and right sides of the roof to the latch.

Bruce :)

Thanks Bruce! Always nice to get the straight scoop from ya.
CCC

I was going to replace hose 51 &52 myself, but the service manual says you need a BO-47666 Hose Retainer Ring Installer to replace a hose. Has anyone ever replaced or had a hose replaced and is the tool really necessary? I know sometimes the correct tool just makes the job easier, but the tool is not a necessity. After looking at the 6 pages of directions in the manual, I'm thinking about just taking it to the XLR tech here in Billings rather than tackle this job myself, so I called the Cadillac dealership here in Billings and the service writer told me they have never done one, so now I'm not sure I want to take it there either. Does anyone know about how long this job should take? Or maybe could run the lines and just have the dealership hook them up using the tool, if they would do that. Or maybe I could wait until May and have it done in Denver while on the way to SA?
thanks
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

I decided to have this problem taken care of at Red Nolan Cadillac in Colorado Springs (First Robin's advice) on the way to SA rather tackle it myself or have my local dealership take a stab at it.

I decided to have this problem taken care of at Red Nolan Cadillac in Colorado Springs (First Robin's advice) on the way to SA rather tackle it myself or have my local dealership take a stab at it.

Just arrived home from talking to James, the best top man at Red Noland Cadillac. He just replaced hoses on an '08 this morning and I have an appointment set up for mtrocket on the 18th of May. James said the one today was the fourth one he has had to replace the hoses on so he has gotten it down pat. James keeps going back to school on the XLR's and he is top notch.

I am having the same issue you described about a hydraulic line leaking on the passenger side but the pictures showing the line on the drivers side. Is there a line that runs on the passenger side above the small rectangular window? I did not see a clear answer. Maybe I missed it?

Hi Sophia:
The lines do run on the passenger side. There are two separate lines. The tech manual shows 12 pages of descriptive text and pictures to replace the lines, hence the reason I decided to let the dealer in Colorado do the work.

I am having the same issue you described about a hydraulic line leaking on the passenger side but the pictures showing the line on the drivers side. Is there a line that runs on the passenger side above the small rectangular window? I did not see a clear answer. Maybe I missed it?

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom