Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Infrared 2008's

B

BoughtTheXLR

While shopping for a 2008, I've run across 2 that are a much darker red than the 2008 Chrystal Claret, which is the only red listed in the production info in the model center here.

Is it possible some 2008's were special-ordered with Infrared (color 80U, also named Red Jewel and Monterey Red)?

I would say No. There were no special orders for different paint on any models. You could only choose from what the factory offered in the model year.

While shopping for a 2008, I've run across 2 that are a much darker red than the 2008 Chrystal Claret, which is the only red listed in the production info in the model center here.

Is it possible some 2008's were special-ordered with Infrared (color 80U, also named Red Jewel and Monterey Red)?

Were these two cars that you saw (that were darker) on a lot somewhere? Or did you only see them through photographs? I have seen photos of the same color between two cars - and the colors look very different. A lot has to do with the lighting when the photo is taken - it can really play tricks on the colors. I think this is especially true with the Crystal Claret color. For example - take a look at XLRATING's avitar - their car looks so much darker than when I saw it in Bowling Green last month. JMHO

So far, I've only seen pictures. This weekend I'll likely go see a somewhat-nearby "maroon" one in person.

I'm upgrading because I really like my xlr, but was mislead when I bought it. I was told I could add majorguard coverage near the end of the cpo warranty, and then learned that I would have had to do so before the original 48/50 ran out. After a year and half out of warranty, I spent $1600 on repairs and decided I'd go to a 2008, and tack on 7 years of majorguard.

Dave is right - I took my avatar picture in the evening with low light. That being said, my infrared XLR is a shade or two darker/more maroonish than my crystal red '08 STS. It's a significant difference.

Having seen the Crystal Claret in person, I would now call it "bright light maroon". Few pictures seem to show it right -- most look either brighter red or slightly darker.

Anyway, it looks nice so I've pulled the trigger on buying one. Not the one I saw, though -- dealer was about 5k over three price-after-trade deals I'd been quoted by some more distant dealers, so next weekend it's road trip time -- out in the 2004, back in the 2008.

Having seen the Crystal Claret in person, I would now call it "bright light maroon". Few pictures seem to show it right -- most look either brighter red or slightly darker.

Anyway, it looks nice so I've pulled the trigger on buying one. Not the one I saw, though -- dealer was about 5k over three price-after-trade deals I'd been quoted by some more distant dealers, so next weekend it's road trip time -- out in the 2004, back in the 2008.

Congrats!!!! Can't wait to see pictures...

Anyway, it looks nice so I've pulled the trigger on buying one. so next weekend it's road trip time -- out in the 2004, back in the 2008.

How awesome! Congratulations on your new XLR and your upcoming weekend road trip to collect it up. Hope to meet you in the near future!

Steve

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back