Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Invisible top fluid leak

Tiger38117

I am losing top fluid at a fairly brisk clip, but I cannot find and evidence of leak. No fluid anywhere, no smell, nothing. Never experienced a significant leak I cant find :dunno:

What am I missing?

thanks

Feel around and look at your headliner. There have been a few others that had a leak they couldn't find and it ended up being the line under the headliner. If it's not there, it is in the trunk area.

I am losing top fluid at a fairly brisk clip, but I cannot find and evidence of leak. No fluid anywhere, no smell, nothing. Never experienced a significant leak I cant find :dunno:

What am I missing?

thanks

A mystery hydraulic leak can get very expensive if allowed to continue. The absolute worst place to have it leak is (as mentioned) under the headliner. It will soak it up for awhile, and then . . . If allowed to come into contact with some of the other materials in the car, it can damage them severely, especially the vinyl covers on the inside of the C pillars that cover the hinge pivot for the top.

Many moons ago, we were taking our submarine down to test (maximum) depth to verify hull integrity. I was placed in a compartment with a set of sound-powered headphones and told to check for leaks or flooding and report to the control room after each 100 foot increment accordingly. Being new, I asked, "What's the difference between a leak and flooding?" With a wink, the chief said to me, "You find a leak and a flood finds you!"

Find your leak! Remove the plastic bolt cover from the headliner that accesses the Header Latch and feel around for moisture. IF you can get an inspection mirror in there, by all means, check it out.

CCC

I currently have a leak under the headliner. In my case the header latch will not disengage. I think the hydraulic fluid is getting pumped to the cylinder until it overflows. Does anyone have an idea why the header latch would not disengage?

A mystery hydraulic leak can get very expensive if allowed to continue. The absolute worst place to have it leak is (as mentioned) under the headliner. It will soak it up for awhile, and then . . . If allowed to come into contact with some of the other materials in the car, it can damage them severely, especially the vinyl covers on the inside of the C pillars that cover the hinge pivot for the top.

Many moons ago, we were taking our submarine down to test (maximum) depth to verify hull integrity. I was placed in a compartment with a set of sound-powered headphones and told to check for leaks or flooding and report to the control room after each 100 foot increment accordingly. Being new, I asked, "What's the difference between a leak and flooding?" With a wink, the chief said to me, "You find a leak and a flood finds you!"

Find your leak! Remove the plastic bolt cover from the headliner that accesses the Header Latch and feel around for moisture. IF you can get an inspection mirror in there, by all means, check it out.

CCC

Theres no moisture or odor inside the bolt hole. The fluid is leaking fast enough that I have trouble believing it could be behind headliner and not show itself.

I currently have a leak under the headliner. In my case the header latch will not disengage. I think the hydraulic fluid is getting pumped to the cylinder until it overflows. Does anyone have an idea why the header latch would not disengage?

It could be :wave:one of the header latch hydraulic cylinders is leaking, preventing proper operation of the header latch itself.

CCC

Can you manually unlock the header latch?

I had my header cylinder fail and start leaking a few years ago. The dealer replaced the cylinder and the header as it was saturated with fluid.

Thanks for the feedback. I believe I have the same situation occurring. I think the Header Latch Cylinder failed. I also believe I have a cracked hydraulic line.

Has anyone replaced the header latch cylinder and the hydraulic lines to the cylinder themselves. I have done a lot of work already replacing the pump, the control module and one hydraulic line to the trunk cylinder. This replacement concerns me a bit more. Primarily appropriately running the hydraulic lines to the header cylinder.

If anyone has experience with this please let me know. I think Cadillac will charge me an arm and leg for this repair.

Can you manually unlock the header latch?

I had my header cylinder fail and start leaking a few years ago. The dealer replaced the cylinder and the header as it was saturated with fluid.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom