Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Is Certifed a scam?

Phrede

Seasoned Member
I just bought my "certified" '08 XLR-V from a local dealer who made a big deal about the car being certified. In the last 3 weeks the car has been back to the service department 4 times and will soon be 5.

Things like turn signal bulbs and wheels grossly out of balance. The top hangs going up/down (every visit), broken molding etc.

I also found out the the maintenance plan is only for oil changes as the wiper blade were beyond worn out. I learned my lesson the hard way, I would have never paid the dealer to change wiper blades.

After I discovered that I was supposed to receive a copy of the 172 point check list and asked for it I was told that we only look at / fix the things we want as directed by the sales manager.

I thought I better do a quick check of the fluid levels right now, and do a more extensive check later. I found that the air filter elements, both of the engines and the cabin, are filthy and there is a broken plastic SC cover.

I am not happy with all of this an feel that the check list was not done at all. Is this typical?

Search this forum for the Cadillac Cusatomer Srevice rep that is on hear at times and find out where to register your complaint. I believe their cretified program to be top-notch and you obviously didn't recieve it on your purchase.:dunno::dunno:

I just bought my "certified" '08 XLR-V from a local dealer who made a big deal about the car being certified. In the last 3 weeks the car has been back to the service department 4 times and will soon be 5.

Things like turn signal bulbs and wheels grossly out of balance. The top hangs going up/down (every visit), broken molding etc.

I also found out the the maintenance plan is only for oil changes as the wiper blade were beyond worn out. I learned my lesson the hard way, I would have never paid the dealer to change wiper blades.

After I discovered that I was supposed to receive a copy of the 172 point check list and asked for it I was told that we only look at / fix the things we want as directed by the sales manager.

I thought I better do a quick check of the fluid levels right now, and do a more extensive check later. I found that the air filter elements, both of the engines and the cabin, are filthy and there is a broken plastic SC cover.

I am not happy with all of this an feel that the check list was not done at all. Is this typical?

Unfortunately all dealers do not have the same customer service ideals. I use two different dealers for servicing my 06' XLR one is about 7 miles (purchasing dealership) from my home and the other about 22 miles. Both dealerships go above and beyond to make and keep me happy.

:cool:

Personally I would consider calling another area Cadillac Dealer and speak to the Service Manager. Tell him what has gone on so far and ask him if he would like your future service business. Also ask them if they would they consider doing a proper inspection of the car, and would there be a fee for that?

If they are a 'good' Cadillac dealer they will probably jump at the chance to gain you as a customer.

CPO = 6 yrs / 100,000 miles coverage. With all the mechanical/electrical complexity of the XLR, I felt it was good insurance. I won't reach the 100,000 miles but my 2007 is covered into 2013. Cadillac Dealership has been first rate with taking care of things and there were a few including an elusive potentiometer with intermittent failure that stopped the top open/close cycle.

I'm hearing that GM has modified their "certified" warranty lately. If you look at some of the latest ads, only certain "parts" are covered for the 100K (mostly drivetrain) - but not "bumper to bumer", like in the past. Most of the "electrical" is only covered for 3 yers or 50K. You must read the fine print carefully now, when buying a CERTIFIED GM warranted car.
When I bought my 2000 DTX, I was told by the dealer that they will only REPLACE a part that is more than 50% worn - anything less, they do not change out.
Just my .02 worth.

:rocker:

Phrede,

I would like to set up a case with GM Customer Assistance. In order to start the process I will need your complete contact information (including full name, mailing address and phone number), VIN, current mileage and the involved dealership sent to me in a private message or email. I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you,
Caron, Cadillac Customer Service
socialmedia@gm.com

Phrede,

I would like to set up a case with GM Customer Assistance. In order to start the process I will need your complete contact information (including full name, mailing address and phone number), VIN, current mileage and the involved dealership sent to me in a private message or email. I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you,
socialmedia@gm.com

The GM at the dealership today promised me complete satisfaction on Thursday. I'm am willing to see the results from that. After that I'll be in contact. Thanks for your interest

How can a Cadillac dealer put a 2008 XLR-V out on their lot in that condition and call it certified?

Shouldn't an '08 still be under the original factory warranty? :dunno:

How can a Cadillac dealer put a 2008 XLR-V out on their lot in that condition and call it certified?
My point exactly. The more I look the more I find.

I found just a bit ago that trunk will only open if you help it. Closing is the same. I am thinking now that the hydraulic pump is not developing enough pressure which could cause the problems with the trunk and the top. The fluid level is OK.

I am going through the car in detail and checking whatever I can. I wish I new someone with a lift so I could look underneath.

I also wish I had one to compare with regarding some items I have question about but have no point of reference. Things like seat air flow rate and audio system auto noise adjustment.

The dealer has promised all of my concerns will be addressed on Thursday. They have a long way to go to regain my trust.

A couple of things in the service history concern me. The Top control module was replaced. The front left turn signal bulb has been replaced twice.

Not exactly the worry free purchase I had hoped for when purchasing a certified premium brand.

Yes, the car is under the full warranty for another 6 months then and additional two years under the certified program, reduced coverage. It is still a hassle to keep taking the car in. I bought the car to drive, not sit in the driveway waiting for a service appointment. The weather here today is perfect for a top down ride, wish I had a convertible.:rolleyes:

Sorry for the rant.

My point exactly. The more I look the more I find.

I found just a bit ago that trunk will only open if you help it. Closing is the same. I am thinking now that the hydraulic pump is not developing enough pressure which could cause the problems with the trunk and the top. The fluid level is OK.

I am going through the car in detail and checking whatever I can. I wish I new someone with a lift so I could look underneath.

I also wish I had one to compare with regarding some items I have question about but have no point of reference. Things like seat air flow rate and audio system auto noise adjustment.

The dealer has promised all of my concerns will be addressed on Thursday. They have a long way to go to regain my trust.

A couple of things in the service history concern me. The Top control module was replaced. The front left turn signal bulb has been replaced twice.

Not exactly the worry free purchase I had hoped for when purchasing a certified premium brand.

Yes, the car is under the full warranty for another 6 months then and additional two years under the certified program, reduced coverage. It is still a hassle to keep taking the car in. I bought the car to drive, not sit in the driveway waiting for a service appointment. The weather here today is perfect for a top down ride, wish I had a convertible.:rolleyes:

Sorry for the rant.

No need to apolgize for the rant, that is what this forum is for. I am aware there are Cadillac dealers out there that are not performing to Cadillac standards. If you are having problems you find out who the District Representative is for your area and contact him. You should also contact Cadillac Customer Service and lodge the same complaints. Red Noland Cadillac in Colorado Springs has been selling a lot of XLR's but when they bring one in it goes into the shop before it goes on the lot or in the show room. It comes out of the shop in perfect condition. You say your dealer has now promised to take care of everything on Thursday, you still need to contact the people I mentioned above and get your complaints documented with Cadillac so they are aware of how this dealer acts. Doing this will protect you and your XLR in the future. Good luck and enjoy your XLR, they are great cars and lots of fun to own and drive.

Glad to hear the dealership will be taking care of you. Please let me know how Thursday goes.

Thank you,

The GM at the dealership today promised me complete satisfaction on Thursday. I'm am willing to see the results from that. After that I'll be in contact. Thanks for your interest

After a week my experience at the dealer has turned into a real nightmare.
I may not have a functioning top at the homecoming. I am sure to have something to discuss with the Cadillac reps.

They told me the top was fixed again, WRONG, this 5th time.
New scratches in the bumper from removing the lower grill without tape
Terrible wiring of third party accessory that was to be corrected is worse now.
I was told that the air filters are washable.
The broken intercooler radiator cover was replace but the badging was put on with too much glue and looks awful.
The name on the title was wrong. Now the temp tags are expiring.
Someone keeps changing the tire pressure.

Does anyone know of a decent dealer in Cincinnati/Indianapolis/Louisville or in between? I am afraid to take mine back.

Caron, you have an email.

Dealer refused to work on my car

The nightmare gets worse.
I made an appointment at a different dealer for this morning to solve my roof problem. I was there on Friday to confirm everything was a go.

I showed up this morning and was told that they did not want to get involved and that they would not work on it. No phone call, nothing.

I am amazed how a dealer can refuse to do warranty work. I spoke to the GM and he reached for his phone. I stopped him and explained that forcing someone who did not want to work on my car was not a good idea.

Now my trip to Bowling Green will be with a top that will most likely freeze mid-cycle. I am tempted to do some free advertising for these two dealers with some signs on my broken car in exhibition.

It is a shame because I really love this car if it were not for this problem and the worse than poor service I am receiving. Is it time to consider legal action to return the car? Are there any real dealers around? Can I buy the diagnostic equipment to monitor the sensors so that I can fix it myself?

This is my first GM product, what a disappointment.

Lockhart Cadillac in Indianapolis, IN or Brown Bros. in Louisville,KY should be able to fix your concern. I don't know how far you are from either of them, but it might be worth the drive.
I will bring along my Tech2, maybe we can figure out what is going on with your folding top.

Lockhart Cadillac in Indianapolis, IN or Brown Bros. in Louisville,KY should be able to fix your concern. I don't know how far you are from either of them, but it might be worth the drive.
I will bring along my Tech2, maybe we can figure out what is going on with your folding top.

Thanks for the info. Louisville is right at 100miles and Indy is about 120, to downtown. So it depends which part of town really as to who is closer. Pretty much a wash in the end and I am willing to do the drive if that is what it takes. Customer Assistance called and left a message. I am waiting for them to return my calls. This all so bizarre and frustrating.

I appreciate your offer to bring the diagnostic tool. I do not want to have your party time interrupted diagnosing my problem, but I believe that it is most likely a sensor adjustment. Can we call it an unofficial tech seminar? :chuckle There may be some others interested.

I personally have decades of experience doing electrical and software design and troubleshooting of sequential processes in automated equipment and have a strong grasp of the technology involved. I think my technical background is just adding to my frustration.

The nightmare gets worse.
I made an appointment at a different dealer for this morning to solve my roof problem. I was there on Friday to confirm everything was a go.

I showed up this morning and was told that they did not want to get involved and that they would not work on it. No phone call, nothing.

I am amazed how a dealer can refuse to do warranty work. I spoke to the GM and he reached for his phone. I stopped him and explained that forcing someone who did not want to work on my car was not a good idea.

Now my trip to Bowling Green will be with a top that will most likely freeze mid-cycle. I am tempted to do some free advertising for these two dealers with some signs on my broken car in exhibition.

It is a shame because I really love this car if it were not for this problem and the worse than poor service I am receiving. Is it time to consider legal action to return the car? Are there any real dealers around? Can I buy the diagnostic equipment to monitor the sensors so that I can fix it myself?

This is my first GM product, what a disappointment.

With our economy the way it is I would think all dealers would be bending over backwards to make the customer happy. The dealers you have described do not deserve to be Cadillac dealers. I would have used the GM's phone and called Cadillac Consumer Relations right then and there. You are driving a 2008, still under factory warranty and from what I understand it is also a Certified Pre Owned which is extending the factory warranty. Cadillac needs and wants to know when their dealers are not living up to Cadillac Standards. I think I told you prior to this post to go to the top, that is the only way you will get satisfaction. Good luck.

With our economy the way it is I would think all dealers would be bending over backwards to make the customer happy. The dealers you have described do not deserve to be Cadillac dealers. I would have used the GM's phone and called Cadillac Consumer Relations right then and there. You are driving a 2008, still under factory warranty and from what I understand it is also a Certified Pre Owned which is extending the factory warranty. Cadillac needs and wants to know when their dealers are not living up to Cadillac Standards. I think I told you prior to this post to go to the top, that is the only way you will get satisfaction. Good luck.

I spoke to Customer assistance today, not much help. They said they will call me back on Wednesday to follow up on the progress. The car is not going to heal itself at my house. They would not recommend another dealer and said all dealers have the same amount of training.

Hopefully someone at Bowling Green (on the GM payroll) will be able to help.

I am a short step away from seeking legal action as I have no other recourse.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom