Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Key fob problem

monepit

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 black raven
Here lately, when I get in my XLR and hit the start button it says no fob detected. It also does it when I push it again to stop it. If I scoot forward in the seat 4 inches everything works fine. I keep it in my right pocket with nothing else. It is not the fob or the battery because the doors and the trunk work fine, even if I stand back as far as I can and push the button. The fob has good range, I found out the other night, by mistake when I pushed the trunk open button from the balcony of a 3 rd story condo. Oh yea, I can't close it with the fob. Down 3 stories and across the lot to push the close button. Anyway, it has to be in the receiver in the council. Where is it and what does it look like. Any ideas!

FOB

I am having the same problem in my 09. Hawk

FOB

I also have a quirky fob. When I am carrying it in my right front pants pocket, shut the engine off, get out of the car and walk past the left front tire, the car gives me that triple-honk, indicating that I've left the fob in the car. Never a problem if I wait a few seconds before walking, or if I walk past the rear of the car. I've found out that I can't carry the fob in my left front pocket and have the car recognize the fob's presence.

Of course, never (!) carry it in a rear pocket. 1) Don't want to sit on it and break it; 2) Don't want to "butt dial" it, as I've done before. When I am wearing a jacket, that's where I carry it, and it always works. BTW, my wife carries the fob to her SRX in her bra; seems to work fine, but probably not a good idea for anyone w/ a pacemaker. :chuckle

Tim

I am documenting the concerns with the key FOBS. I would encourage you to visit the dealer to have the FOB reprogrammed if necessary. Please keep us posted on the status of this issue.

Matt,

Cadillac Customer Assistance

I also have a quirky fob. When I am carrying it in my right front pants pocket, shut the engine off, get out of the car and walk past the left front tire, the car gives me that triple-honk, indicating that I've left the fob in the car. Never a problem if I wait a few seconds before walking, or if I walk past the rear of the car. I've found out that I can't carry the fob in my left front pocket and have the car recognize the fob's presence.

Of course, never (!) carry it in a rear pocket. 1) Don't want to sit on it and break it; 2) Don't want to "butt dial" it, as I've done before. When I am wearing a jacket, that's where I carry it, and it always works. BTW, my wife carries the fob to her SRX in her bra; seems to work fine, but probably not a good idea for anyone w/ a pacemaker. :chuckle

Tim

there is # pic4642A dated 1/14/08 for this problem on models:05-08.the RCDLR needs to be reprogramed by the dealer.:)

I can open the trunk using the button under dash. Sometimes I even hit the trunk button on the fob but it only opens it not closes it too. So have to get out of the car and hit the button to close, on the trunk.

I can open the trunk using the button under dash. Sometimes I even hit the trunk button on the fob but it only opens it not closes it too. So have to get out of the car and hit the button to close, on the trunk.

Yeah, I'm sure it's intentional. Our SRX works the same way. Probably a good idea, since one can only imagine the horror of closing that heavy lid when you couldn't see that someone (else) was hidden by the trunk lid, and was getting something out of the back of the trunk?:bawling:

Smunch...

Tim

Yeah, I'm sure it's intentional. Our SRX works the same way. Probably a good idea, since one can only imagine the horror of closing that heavy lid when you couldn't see that someone (else) was hidden by the trunk lid, and was getting something out of the back of the trunk?:bawling:

Smunch...

Tim

I just bought an '07 SRX this fall - my key fob opens AND closes the rear hatch... maybe they updated it later? :dunno:

I just bought an '07 SRX this fall - my key fob opens AND closes the rear hatch... maybe they updated it later? :dunno:

I'll check it again on our '11 SRX, just to be sure. Sure seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen, tho. The fob on our SRX has a long range (handy when using the remote start), but there sure would be an exposure if it could be closed remotely, IMHO.

I'll update this when I run the "test". :)

UPDATE: Boy, am I embarrassed. I tested our '11 SRX fob and it DOES close the hatch! I believed that I had tested it, but I was wrong. I'm sorry for providing bad info. I knew that the button on the door would close the hatch, but I was mistaken about the fob.

"Lo siento..."
bawling.gif

Tim

I'll check it again on our '11 SRX, just to be sure. Sure seems like a law suit waiting to happen, tho. The fob on our SRX has a long range (handy when using the remote start), but there sure would be an exposure if it could be closed remotely, IMHO.

I'll update this when I run the "test". :)

Tim

You know, that could be the case - when they extended the range for the REMOTE START in the '08 and beyond, they may have taken away the ability to close the rear hatch from the remote fob. :dunno:

I have looked through owner's manuals for the 2004-2009 XLR. The only button regarding the FOB is for opening the trunk that is indicated in the manual. To close the trunk, there is a button located on the underside of the trunk lid. If anyone is having trouble with their FOB, I would again encourage you to go the dealer. They should be able to correct the programming to match your vehicle or issue a replacement. Thank you and I hope everyone is doing well.

Matt,

Cadillac Customer Assistance

You can also close the trunk manually by just pulling down on it.

V Happy

Guys
I have a 2006 V. I was having similar problems with erratic no fob warnings. Trunk always had good range. What worried me was the lock issue.I did replace the batteries in both fobs and still an intermittent operation. I was ready to take it to the dealer when I read a fix by C.C.Clark. CC said to clean the contacts inside the fob with a pencil eraser and replace the batteries with medical grade. I did these two things and voila everything has been working fine without fail for six months. I think this fix is on the other XLR forum.(I hope I can say that here) All I can tell you is it worked for me!!!!!!!!!
V Happy
PS I bought Duracell medical grade on line.

problem solved

To my embarrassment I have solved the fob problem thanks to the previous post. First let me say I am an electrician, a troubleshooter at that. I eliminated the battery because it would open the trunk from 50 feet away. I took it to 2 friends at dealerships, very good mechanics. they both recommended replacing the receiver, antenna and fobs. I was about to order the parts tonight when I red the previous post, so I thought what the heck. I popped the back off the fob and just out of curiosity I checked voltage. 2.83 volts on a 3 volt battery. I got a new battery. 3.38 volts. Installed and all works well again. Just go's to show, check everything even if it doesn't make sense. Thanks V Happy.

V Happy

To my embarrassment I have solved the fob problem thanks to the previous post. First let me say I am an electrician, a troubleshooter at that. I eliminated the battery because it would open the trunk from 50 feet away. I took it to 2 friends at dealerships, very good mechanics. they both recommended replacing the receiver, antenna and fobs. I was about to order the parts tonight when I red the previous post, so I thought what the heck. I popped the back off the fob and just out of curiosity I checked voltage. 2.83 volts on a 3 volt battery. I got a new battery. 3.38 volts. Installed and all works well again. Just go's to show, check everything even if it doesn't make sense. Thanks V Happy.

Moneypit
I was glad to help. One thing I will say is I have replaced my batteries once this started to happen and in a short time it started all over again. I did notice these type of batteries you buy at Wal Mart have no experation date. The Medical batteries did. If I ever have to replace them again I will go with medical grade. I think they are held to a higher standard!!!!! It may just be me but since I've installed medical grade every thing related to the fob seems to work better. Cleaning the battery contacts with the eraser may also have increased proper operation.
V Happy:wave:

Moneypit
I was glad to help. One thing I will say is I have replaced my batteries once this started to happen and in a short time it started all over again. I did notice these type of batteries you buy at Wal Mart have no experation date. The Medical batteries did. If I ever have to replace them again I will go with medical grade. I think they are held to a higher standard!!!!! It may just be me but since I've installed medical grade every thing related to the fob seems to work better. Cleaning the battery contacts with the eraser may also have increased proper operation.
V Happy:wave:
I'll order some this weekend. Thanks for the help.

you can NOT close trunk w/fob, on xlr's only w/ the close button on the trunk.

Sorry but the last part of this statement is incorrect.

Because the closing of the trunk is the last operation of opening or closing of the top, it can be closed from inside the car by simply pushing and holding the top up or down which ever mode it's in will close the trunk lid.

This works perfectly on my 06 XLR and has since I figured it out back in December of 07 when I first got her.

About FOBs.
This happened just last week while at Beeville, Tx. for the running of the "Texas Mile." When I pulled "Star" into the parking section with all those Supercharged Caddies, I had to use the manual door release to get out of the car. I am convinced that
"Star" (Named by Lola's mom, RA back in 08) is pocessed by my deceased wife Judy as it was acting like she would when in an over-whelming situation and I got the feeling that she didn't want me to leave her there all alone. At that time, I was considering remaning her Judy so I started calling her Judy when we were alone and had no further problems with her.
Then after leaving Beeville and Corpus Christie, Tx. I forgot about the change of her name and went back to calling her Star.
Well after the 2 day drive to my Uncle and Cousin's house in Fl., she got my attention by locking me out while parked in their driveway.My cousin ask about a spare "Remote" and I told him that I had the spare that was locked in the trunk along with the key for the rear bumper lock that releases the trunk lid.
From about 6 to 11 PM, my Cousin and I tried to get into the car by using a coat hanger and reaching down and pulling the manual door release and we were successful in getting the door latch to release but the window would not drop to clear the roof. This convinced me that the car battery was dead. So we called it a night and went to bed.
Just after midnight, I remembered that I had a spare bumper key in my wallet and jumped out of bed and while in my PJs went out to the car opened the trunk, expecting to have to lift it manually and was very surprised when it went up under it's own power.:dunno:
The next day, I replaced the battery in the #1 Fob with one my Cousin said was new but it didn't work so I got out the #2 Fob and it's battery was dead also! Now, I had put new LI batteries in both of these Fobs in the early part of 08 and the #2 had only been used about 1% of the total usage of car operating time.

Here's a quick note about carrying both Fobs in these cars at the same time. Wrap the unused one in tin foil and put it in the trunk to keep the car from senseing it.

To fix this problem, I put the #1 Fob with it's dead battery in the glove compartment pouch and went in search of fresh batteries...

Now "Judy" and I are happy together again...:lol:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back