Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Lesser Vette Still Whips the Horse. . .

Fred,

You better think before you make a statemnet like that. The Ford GT gives even the new ZR1 a run for the money. Sorrily they ended production. I must agree though, the Mustang is not a true sports car.

That was nice and of course there is no Ford going to beat the Vette its a wanbtabe,:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Speedway:wave::wave::wave:

Fred,

You better think before you make a statemnet like that. The Ford GT gives even the new ZR1 a run for the money. Sorrily they ended production. I must agree though, the Mustang is not a true sports car.
This battle has been going on for years all the way back when I was a kid. I dont dislike the Mustang in fact I think its a very nice car its just not a Corvette and with the way things are going I would make a guess time is running out for the muscle cars. Its enough to make you sick. If you have ever owned a Corvette it will create a feeling within you that you just cant find in another car thats why its an American Legend:patriot: and I may add Illinois passed a law to allow Corvettes to operate in the State of Illinois with only rear license plates. AWSOME!!!:willy_nilly:

Fred:cool:

Well, I've not owned a Corvette - but I hope to someday. I have owned a 64-1/2 Mustang convertible and it WAS a sports car. No way that would be classified as a sedan.

What is the definition of a sports car?
Any fast coupe? Nope, that won't work.
I would definetly call the Cobra a sportscar.

What is the definition of a sports car?
Any fast coupe? Nope, that won't work.
I would definetly call the Cobra a sportscar.

Well, the article above gives this definition of a "Sports Car:"

A sports car, by the classic British definition, is one that can, in a pinch, be raced.

Also, a true sports car seats only two. . .

Floyd (BB)

Hmmm -
Okay, I think Speedway actually said it right. The Mustang is a real Muscle Car. I've never heard that term applied to a Corvette. So, sorta they're talking apples and oranges ....

I think you are confused by my statement; I'm not talking about the Mustang GT, but the GT that Ford stopped making in 2007. Here is a link for information, and yes it is a true sportscar!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_GT

This battle has been going on for years all the way back when I was a kid. I dont dislike the Mustang in fact I think its a very nice car its just not a Corvette and with the way things are going I would make a guess time is running out for the muscle cars. Its enough to make you sick. If you have ever owned a Corvette it will create a feeling within you that you just cant find in another car thats why its an American Legend:patriot: and I may add Illinois passed a law to allow Corvettes to operate in the State of Illinois with only rear license plates. AWSOME!!!:willy_nilly:

Fred:cool:

I think you are confused by my statement; I'm not talking about the Mustang GT, but the GT that Ford stopped making in 2007. Here is a link for information, and yes it is a true sportscar!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_GT
I remember this car and it is no longer made. Plus the price tag was out of site. There are cars that can beat a vette but I know of no stock factory car that is made in America by the top three America companies that can touch it for price looks or performance on and off the track. It is the AMERiCAN LEGEND and one awsome sports car that when driven down the street if 10 people are walking and see it 8 will look and be in total Aw and desire to have it. :willy_nilly:

Fred:wave::wave::wave::wave:

I've owned four SVT prepped Mustangs over the years, the best for road work was the 2003 when they opted for an IRS. The problems with it showed up the first day I owned it (along with 5,000+ other owners who all complained loudly) in that with it's immediate power the engine over-ran the axle's ability to launch the car, which manifested in the form of severe (and I mean severe) wheel hop. I bet Ford replaced 100 IRS systems in the first month! Everyone wants a road course worthy sports car, the problem with that is simple - it will not win drag races. My current SVT/Shelby Mustang dyno's over 600 rear wheel HP - If it had IRS it would break the first time you tried launching that kind of power. Hell, it hops like a rabbit now; the live axle takes a real beating, but it's made to take that beating.

I've also owned Corvettes and enjoyed the experience, but I had my butt handed to me in too many straight line races to stay in one. Just can't hot rod them like you can my current ride.

Just my 2 cents worth. Both great cars, just not designed from the ground up to be real competitors, even though Shelby touts his product's road course worthiness which even comes out in the attached article. It can hold its own, just not against a world-class car such as the Corvette.

Horse power cost a lot of money. You can do it yourself its still expensive and the problem is the rest of the car normally isnt set up for it. So you have to change out a lot of other stuff whats nice about buying one already equited and fast you get the warranty.

Fred:wave::wave::wave::wave:

I've owned four SVT prepped Mustangs over the years, the best for road work was the 2003 when they opted for an IRS. The problems with it showed up the first day I owned it (along with 5,000+ other owners who all complained loudly) in that with it's immediate power the engine over-ran the axle's ability to launch the car, which manifested in the form of severe (and I mean severe) wheel hop. I bet Ford replaced 100 IRS systems in the first month! Everyone wants a road course worthy sports car, the problem with that is simple - it will not win drag races. My current SVT/Shelby Mustang dyno's over 600 rear wheel HP - If it had IRS it would break the first time you tried launching that kind of power. Hell, it hops like a rabbit now; the live axle takes a real beating, but it's made to take that beating.

I've also owned Corvettes and enjoyed the experience, but I had my butt handed to me in too many straight line races to stay in one. Just can't hot rod them like you can my current ride.

Just my 2 cents worth. Both great cars, just not designed from the ground up to be real competitors, even though Shelby touts his product's road course worthiness which even comes out in the attached article. It can hold its own, just not against a world-class car such as the Corvette.
Hmmm - so I see you're still thinking Yellow 'Vette.

I guess the best way to sum it up for me; Went out to Kerman last month for the "country boy" races. One of the growers has a private stretch of blacktop that divides two large cotton fields, more than a mile in length and as wide as a standard three lane roadway. I ended up running two passes next to a APS twin-turbo equipped Pontiac GTO. Several Vettes there, none of them could take the GTO.

I did....................:lol: Twice.

I'd hate to run those Vettes through a road course but I'm not intimidated by the sight of one at a stop light. Once I get it launched = it's warp speed, Scottie.

I guess the best way to sum it up for me; Went out to Kerman last month for the "country boy" races. One of the growers has a private stretch of blacktop that divides two large cotton fields, more than a mile in length and as wide as a standard three lane roadway. I ended up running two passes next to a APS twin-turbo equipped Pontiac GTO. Several Vettes there, none of them could take the GTO.

I did....................:lol: Twice.

I'd hate to run those Vettes through a road course but I'm not intimidated by the sight of one at a stop light. Once I get it launched = it's warp speed, Scottie.

You were too vague when you said "Several Vettes there. . ." you neglected to mention the year and model of the Vettes--makes a big difference. Plus, were any of the "Vettes" worked on, or were they bone stock. As I'm sure you're aware classes are created for racing so that the various models are as closely matched as possible.

Now, if you and others wanted to race each other with no rules it's kinda like the "fastest gun in the west," there is always somebody faster. . .

Floyd (BB)

Yeah ..... I like the fastest gun in the West method ..... there's little to no chance that Lola will ever see a track - but there are ton's of street lights :laugh: and everyone sends their mating call - even those little Rice Burners ... You know, the other thing is, you can have the fastest, biggest engine in the world, but if you don't know HOW to drive, you may as well be behind the wheel of a Bug.

That's exactly what happens where we play. On any given night, there will be five or six trailered cars; strip-prepared only. It's all in fun, some of the Vettes are wrenched, some are bone stock. There are two 5,000 lb. Lightning trucks that kick my ass on a regular basis, one of them is a low 10 second truck that the owner drives to work every day. And you are so right; there is always someone faster, which is what makes it fun !!

Fact is; unless I install a roll cage, driveshaft loop, transmission shield and a ton of other safety stuff I can't run at Fomoso (closest drag strip) or any other sanctioned race track. So; the local "run what you brung" track is best way for Doris and I to have some fun.

That's exactly what happens where we play. On any given night, there will be five or six trailered cars; strip-prepared only. It's all in fun, some of the Vettes are wrenched, some are bone stock. There are two 5,000 lb. Lightning trucks that kick my ass on a regular basis, one of them is a low 10 second truck that the owner drives to work every day. And you are so right; there is always someone faster, which is what makes it fun !!

Fact is; unless I install a roll cage, driveshaft loop, transmission shield and a ton of other safety stuff I can't run at Fomoso (closest drag strip) or any other sanctioned race track. So; the local "run what you brung" track is best way for Doris and I to have some fun.
Sounds like years ago when we had great times drag racing on the streets. Of course you didnt have all this traffic like you do today. Oh for memories.

Fred:wave:

Great finish to the week. On the way home a new Camaro tried to pass me south bound 99 on the new three lane stretch south of Livingston, Ca. The poor guy, at 120 and four lengths back - It looked like he was opening his door to see if he was still moving.................:reddevil He needs to drive straight to his dealer and kick that saleman's ass for telling him he was the proud owner of the new "king of the muscle cars.........." Poor bastard. Hey, wonder if he bought it in the last 60 days? Chevy promises to buy it back - not too late, he can still get a Ford !!!!!!!!!

Hey, wonder if he bought it in the last 60 days? Chevy promises to buy it back - not too late, he can still get a Ford !!!!!!!!!

Or the Camaro's much bigger brother!!!!!!

Floyd (BB)

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back