Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

make sure you check your trunk drain!!!

james04xlr

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 Xenon Blue XLR
make sure you pull up the carpet on the driver's side of the trunk and check the drain tube at the bottom of the well that houses sensitive electronics to make sure it is free and clear to drain off rainwater if you have a leaky trunk and you drive your XLR in that kind of weather. I never drive mine in bad weather but I decided to take a look anyway and I found a screw lodged in my drain tube. Doing this little 30 second check now could save you $100's in repairs in the future if that well fills up with water and doesn't drain off.

make sure you pull up the carpet on the driver's side of the trunk and check the drain tube at the bottom of the well that houses sensitive electronics to make sure it is free and clear to drain off rainwater if you have a leaky trunk and you drive your XLR in that kind of weather. I never drive mine in bad weather but I decided to take a look anyway and I found a screw lodged in my drain tube. Doing this little 30 second check now could save you $100's in repairs in the future if that well fills up with water and doesn't drain off.

Thanks for the tip, James - going to check mine tonight. :wave:

Thanks James!!!!

I have never had my car out in the rain it is a garage queen. I will not take it out if the weather is bad. Also I have only washed it with a hose a few times. I use my duster on it and then I wax it. I must have 50 coats of wax on it. I will check the drain hose just in case.

Could you tell me in a little more detail of how to pull up the carpet, how far and where the well is located. Don't want to appear dumb but also I don't want to rip apart the carpet and end up screwing something up. :cool:

If I found the right spot, Open the truck, go to the closest to the bumper on the drivers side and pull the carpet back up a foot. There is a removable cover there over a tub with all of the goodies, and the drain hole will be in the upper right corner of the tub.

You can also see it from underneath the car.

I found it helps to have a nice flash light, it is a ways down there.

dry, thanks

Thanks for bringing this issue up once again :worship: it finally inspired me to get off my butt and check mine. Happy to say that my compartment is clean and dry as a popcorn fart! :laugh:

Dockery.....many thanks for the pic and write up! :worship:

I have never had my car out in the rain it is a garage queen. I will not take it out if the weather is bad.

Crimson Pearl had never seen rain either, until we went to Aheville and Biltmore House this past April. It rained pretty good that first night.

But after I got home and got her washed up, it somehow appears that she suffered no damage from getting wet! :rolleyes:

But I certainly can see why you folks that live in the colder climates would not want to take your car out during the winter. I wouldn't either!

Mine is a driver 6-7 months of the year. The balance is storage. It will not touch the salt of the Wisconsin winters. While I won't take it out on a rainy day, I also won't get upset if I'm caught out in a shower.

And I tend to wash and dry cars a lot. I love to detail them. Makes sure I know every imperfection on it.

If you are a washer too, then while the trunk is open and you are wiping everything dry, get in the habit of taking a quick peek in the well every time while the trunk is open.

Dockery- great pic. You beat me to it. I found a torx head screw in my drain that looks like it was probably dropped in there during assembly. The screw had no marks on it at all.

I have never had my car out in the rain it is a garage queen.

Crimson Pearl had never seen rain either, until we went to Aheville and Biltmore House this past April. It rained pretty good that first night.

Sorry!!!,,,,,,, I have to laugh to myself when I hear "my car's never be in the rain". If you've ever been thru the BG plant, and seen the "leak test". I don't think (no disrespect here) God can even make it rain as much as the " leak test puts these cars thru!!! And it water recycled thru again and again,,,, I'd think it worse than rain as far as cleanness. :lol:

You're right, Chad ... I remember that too! 'The Leak Test' :blinzel:

We've been thru some horrible rains traveling from CA to KY - the rain didn't bother me, but it was disturbing to come upon the puddles that were almost as high as the door sills .....

If water is getting into that tank - you might want to check those deck lid seals ....

Finally had the the time to locate and check mine and the area was bone dry and the drain tube was clear. Cannot understand why Cadillac did not make the cover panel more secure.

:cool:

Found mine today and compartment was dry. From under car found a hole in bottom of compartment but it does not have a tube or anything on it--just a drilled hole in the compartment.

You can also give the drain a quick check by crawling underneath the car and squeezing the tip of the plug. It makes sure it hasn't "sealed" shut with road dirt or tar. You can also feel any junk that might be in there (I had a dead bug in mine a couple of years ago).

Thanks so much for posting. This was extremely easy to do also. And sure enough, I had a dead bug in mine also.

For those that are wondering... here's what it looks like.

iPhonePictures012-1.jpg

Thanks for the picture. Thats where the hole in my car is but it does not have the tube sticking down. I have tried to find the tube on GMparts but no luck. Guess I need a part number.

Great picture! I cut off the "duckbill" to ensure unrestricted flow; otherwise, it's easy to get plugged by road grime.

CC :wave:

Great picture! I cut off the "duckbill" to ensure unrestricted flow; otherwise, it's easy to get plugged by road grime.

CC :wave:

I'm thinking I might do the same. It was kind of stuck/sealed closed until I massaged it a bit with my fingers... Thus finding the dead bug.

Why nothing similar on the passenger side?

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom