Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

My Bluetooth and Smartphone Solution

I agree Fred! The XM satellite has better quality sound! But do you loose the single sometimes or does that not effect it, like tunnels, bridges, in town buildings? And please list here or pm what all I need to install this system with better quality sound! Thx Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Basically the ladder of improving sound quality goes something like this, starting with the worse:
WX
AM
FM
XM (Depends on how much compression at the time. I've heard some XM sound worse than FM)
CD-DVD / Bluetooth / Wired USB AUX (depends on the format and bitrate used when storing the files)

I suggest reading the thread about this install, there is a lot of good information there.
http://https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/cadillac-xlr-technical-discussion/7948-mp3-ipod.html

Total Bluetooth project
Kinivo BTC455 Bluetooth interface $40
Ray Kawal AUX audio input adapter $40
LGB-1 pre-amp $35
SNI Ground Loop Filter $8.50

Depending on your individual wants and desires you may want to change some of the components. I had no desire to plug anything else in or maintain XM functionality. But did want to be able to get the most volume.

If using the XM for the hook up do you need to carry the service as in pay for it and number two do you lose ask XM as in to keep the XM service if you wish?

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

I believe the original poster was offering his opinion on his needs/wants - not everyone's.

I believe it was stated multiple times that the alternative method required "tearing out the dash" which is absolutely false and is an example of why you shouldn't believe everything written.

As I have already said multiple times, if you don't mind the lower sound quality this could be feasible for you. If you can tell the difference in sound quality between FM and CD, and the audio quality matters to you, steer clear of this method. Do not try to say that the two methods are comparable as they are not.

It would never work for me, and I know others here. Not only for the sound quality but for the phone mount itself. I like to be able to close the center console while my phone is connected to power.

If using the XM for the hook up do you need to carry the service as in pay for it and number two do you lose ask XM as in to keep the XM service if you wish?

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

There are different interfaces depending on if you want to maintain XM or not. I do not want XM and that is the way I went with these parts. If you are not using the service then you do not pay for it.

An alternative method requiring a different interface adapter would allow you to chose XM or bluetooth or really anything with a 3.5mm plug. It would have a jack somewhere, either mounted or exposed or not, You then plug in the device you wish to use. With nothing plugged in XM works as normal. I'm sure it could also be done with a switch, but have never seen it done this way.

I like using my phone for my music source and simply get in the car and it works touching nothing, even with the phone is in my pocket. If it is a longer trip or if I am low on power I put the phone in the dash mount. I really like the way it is all seamless and automatically mutes the music when a call comes in or if the navigation has voice directions or if I just ask the phone a question, etc. The music resumes when the call/interruption is over. All hands free.

All of this crap is why they make chocolate AND vanilla!

I believe a more appropriate analogy would be Neiman Marcus and K-Mart. :reddevil

An alternative method requiring a different interface adapter would allow you to chose XM or bluetooth or really anything with a 3.5mm plug. It would have a jack somewhere, either mounted or exposed or not, You then plug in the device you wish to use. With nothing plugged in XM works as normal. I'm sure it could also be done with a switch, but have never seen it done this way.

I'm the one who introduces this group to Ray Kawal and his vast assortment of C6 mods that also work in the XLR. In your first example the switch is imbedded in the 3.5mm socket. Plugging anything in opens the circuit switching from the XM Radio as the source to whatevers plugged into the 3.5mm socket as the source. Ray and I also developed the toggle switched mode you mentioned above, but he couldn't ensure it didn't create a ground loop so he doesn't advertise or sell one normally.

I also sent him the specs of my CarPC interface that switches automatically whenever it senses sound is being fed to the system from the 3.5mm socket as opposed to the manual switch. With my spec'd system the attached audio device remains plugged in and as long as it is silent, the XM Radio plays. For example , my CarPC has an hourly chime so when I'm on the road listening to XM Radio, the XM mutes on the hour and I hear the computer chime in with the time. 10 seconds later, the XM resumes.

I believe a more appropriate analogy would be Neiman Marcus and K-Mart. :reddevil

Not everyone needs the label "Neiman-Marcus" when a "K-Mart" label will serve the purpose. Higher price doesn't always equal better, re: Cadillac XLR :D

Not everyone needs the label "Neiman-Marcus" when a "K-Mart" label will serve the purpose. Higher price doesn't always equal better, re: Cadillac XLR :D
Sometimes being cheap is just that and you do get what you pay for. Then there are times like this where getting quality results are not significantly more expensive or difficult but do require knowledge in order to understand the benefits of the superior design.

Sometimes being cheap is just that and you do get what you pay for. Then there are times like this where getting quality results are not significantly more expensive or difficult but do require knowledge in order to understand the benefits of the superior design.

Yep, "sometimes". As I said earlier, not everyone has the same needs/wants/requirements and buying a "cheap" product can "sometimes" serve their purpose. It's not always a lack of knowledge that results in buying a particular item. If they buyer is pleased and happy with what he got, let it be. Old saying I learned many, many years ago regarding making a deal. If the seller is happy and the buyer is happy - - it was a good deal. Seems appropriate in this instance.

and again, I refer you to the Cadillac XLR as an example

I wonder why anyone would buy a Cadillac when a Yugo would do?

Last edited:
from earlier post above "Higher price doesn't always equal better,"

I'm done now.

Then why did you buy one? or did someone give it to you? Do you normally spend your money purposefully on an inferior product?

Better at what? Better at pleasing the eye of the owner?

I thiink you may be in the wrong place to be slamming XLRs. I really hope you are finished. I know I am.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

George Carlin

how many XLR owners are you going to insult in one thread. jesus.
all this over the radio, that when you drop the top sound goes to chit anyway.
its a cool car, we all bought it for the same reason,
you apparently think yours is way better than the rest of ours
because you custom rigged up the radio ?
sure it is.
or maybe you think you are better than the rest of us because your far superior brain can appreciate fine sounds,
while the rest of us neanderthals only hear grunts and whistles?
uhhhhhhhhhhhh huuuuuuuhhhhh.

is this really about my bluetooth is better than your bluetooth?
lets get over ourselves.
we all bought the car because it was unique, not necessarily the fastest, best performing, highest quality, car around.
we got alot of uniqueness for a really good price, mostly due to fast depreciation on a niche automobile.
does that make us smart or stupid???
whatever it makes us, it makes all of us the SAME because we all own XLR's.
if you talk on your phone hands free congrats.
if that was important, i wouldnt have bought an XLR...

how many XLR owners are you going to insult in one thread. jesus.
all this over the radio, that when you drop the top sound goes to chit anyway.
its a cool car, we all bought it for the same reason,
you apparently think yours is way better than the rest of ours
because you custom rigged up the radio ?
sure it is.
or maybe you think you are better than the rest of us because your far superior brain can appreciate fine sounds,
while the rest of us neanderthals only hear grunts and whistles?
uhhhhhhhhhhhh huuuuuuuhhhhh.

is this really about my bluetooth is better than your bluetooth?
lets get over ourselves.
we all bought the car because it was unique, not necessarily the fastest, best performing, highest quality, car around.
we got alot of uniqueness for a really good price, mostly due to fast depreciation on a niche automobile.
does that make us smart or stupid???
whatever it makes us, it makes all of us the SAME because we all own XLR's.
if you talk on your phone hands free congrats.
if that was important, i wouldnt have bought an XLR...
One more idiot added to my ignore list.

Last edited:
Simple Bluetooth with FM with Motorola Roadster 2

using that logic, why isn't there only one car manufacturer? This subject has gotten to the ridiculous. C ya:rolleyes:
I double face taped a Motorola Roadster 2 bluetooth adapter under the onstar buttons on the rear view mirror. It is not noticeble at all and the buttons are convenient, just below the on star buttons. The speaker in the unit has more that sufficient sound level so it is fine for handsfree telephone. The FM is so so but I rarely stream any music from my phone or mp3 player. I still use the CD player for the best quality and listen to some XM. XM is highly compressed and does not compare in audio quality to a CD. Music quality from the Motorola built in speaker is poor, but is handsfree phone operation I desire. Of course it does not mute the radio when you use it but that has not been a problem for me. The battery life has been good, I charge it every few weeks.

Just a suggestion..

JIM

Maybe I am doing something wrong but I can't get the hands free to work. The phone is paired and if I input calls from the screen it works fine.
I have a newly installed Kenwood DNX696S. Any suggestions? Thx.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom