Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Neo BT BLUGM-11 Bluetooth add on

I would LOVE to know the exact same thing. I saw it there on the Neo site but I also found it here for a bit less ($329):
iCarKits - BLUGM-11 for the 2006 CADILLAC XLR.

What worries me is the picture says CoStar on it, and CoStar does make a bluetooth calling box but it does NOT support a2dp:
costartech.com - BlueSTAR

I'm mainly interested in a2dp. On top of that, I believe the OnStar system to only produce mono sound, so audio may sound like crap. I've read some reviews on the CoStar box that says it will drain your battery down.

For now I signed up with XM for $86 for a year. It's sure not my Slacker subscription on my phone but it's better than the radio in the XLR that doesn't pick up worth a junk.

Wow, pcm2a, $86/year is a lot (at least to me). XM will seriously negotiate their rates over the phone. Ask about the "5 for 20" plan; that's what I'm on. 5 months for $20 (plus taxes...).

Tim

Well crap, my negotiation skills failed me! I did negotiate that $86 from something like $119 (if I remember correctly). When it comes time to renew I will have to remember that.

If your going to keep the car think long term. Spring for the lifetime membership and save $ in the long run.

XM pricing

You guys have some insight on these prices, Give up some more info to a newbie.
How did you get these deals? Just chatting with them over the phone or what.
Good work by the way, I like to do a little dealing.

Just tell them you heard about the "5 for 20" deal on a blog, and that you can't afford the rate you're paying. I just got it for my wife's car, too. Told them I had it on the XLR, and now I want the same deal on the SRX. No problem. Now, they even renew it at that rate, unless I cancel.

This is a good business decision for them, IMHO. Keeps the cash coming in, at NO COST to them. It doesn't cost them anything to keep me on the program; in fact, it would cost them to remove me. Once I'm on the auto-renewal program, the rest is "automagic".

Next, I'm going to give OnStar a shot of the same treatment... :cool:

Tim

Just tell them you heard about the "5 for 20" deal on a blog, and that you can't afford the rate you're paying. I just got it for my wife's car, too. Told them I had it on the XLR, and now I want the same deal on the SRX. No problem. Now, they even renew it at that rate, unless I cancel.

This is a good business decision for them, IMHO. Keeps the cash coming in, at NO COST to them. It doesn't cost them anything to keep me on the program; in fact, it would cost them to remove me. Once I'm on the auto-renewal program, the rest is "automagic".

Next, I'm going to give OnStar a shot of the same treatment... :cool:

Tim

Tim
Please post info. on your outcome with ON STAR I think their prices are crazy!! :willy_nilly: I onlystill have them because they offered a deal when I got as new customer.
Thx Caddyman Dan

I received a letter from XM dated 3/7 offering 6 months for $25. Of course, after the 6 months it will automatically renew at then-current rates, unles you call and cancel. I'm planning calling mid-May and get the 6 for $25 plan. I'll then call and cancel in mid-October, since that's when I put her away for the winter.

The Neo BT BLUGM-11 is on sale through the end of the today for $326 - 15% with a coupon = $277 including shipping.
Call them (I looked up the # on google ) or buy it from Icarkits.com
use promo code "BOO" to get the $277 price
I just ordered it after a long discussion with their technical support.

This item replaces your ONstar module completely and is a universal piece, meaning it will fit any GM car with onstar (so you could take it out if you sell your XLR)
The Neo BT BLUGM-11 will work with the onstar controls on the rearview mirror.
It uses the existing onstar microphone and speaker.
Ill let you guys know if it is worth the $277.

The Neo BT BLUGM-11 is on sale through the end of the today for $326 - 15% with a coupon = $277 including shipping.

This item replaces your ONstar module completely and is a universal piece, meaning it will fit any GM car with onstar (so you could take it out if you sell your XLR)

What all does it do, where will it be placed in the car and is there a monthly charge?

OnStar "Deals"

Tim
Please post info. on your outcome with ON STAR I think their prices are crazy!! :willy_nilly: I onlystill have them because they offered a deal when I got as new customer.
Thx Caddyman Dan

Well, here's some updated info from my original post.

1st, XM won't "automagically" renew me at the good rate, as it turns out. I have to call a day before the current arrangement expires, and go thru the "I can't afford it; give me the good deal or cancel it" argument all over again. :mad: However, they seem to always have the good deals available, so I keep renewing at the "5 for $20" rate.

After my 90-day "freebee" trial of OnStar, I signed up for a year of the basic safety subscription and negotiated $50 off the standard $199 price. I didn't opt for the turn-by-turn feature, because it works like crap on my '06 XLR, and is a waste of the additional money (they want another $200 for it). However, when my wife's '11 SRX "freebee" trial expired, we signed her up for it and got like a "hunski" off the standard $399. The turn-by-turn works great on her car. :)

One aggravating thing that OnStar did was to change my phone number on the car without even telling me. I noticed the different number on the subscription paperwork, called them up and raised hell. Eventually they came back and told me that the "old" number (which I had given out to friends) was not available any more (Verizon had issued it to someone else when OnStar fumbled it). I gave them (politely) a piece of my mind and told them that they needed to do something to compensate me for the problems of having to contact those folks to whom I had given the number. They came back a few days later and "gave" me another 300 minutes of phone time and extended the expiration date. I'm OK w/ that and am pleasantly surprised that they cared enough to do it.

Hope this helps some of you in your negotiations. FWIW

Tim

Well, here's some updated info from my original post.

1st, XM won't "automagically" renew me at the good rate, as it turns out. I have to call a day before the current arrangement expires, and go thru the "I can't afford it; give me the good deal or cancel it" argument all over again. :mad: However, they seem to always have the good deals available, so I keep renewing at the "5 for $20" rate.

After my 90-day "freebee" trial of OnStar, I signed up for a year of the basic safety subscription and negotiated $50 off the standard $199 price. I didn't opt for the turn-by-turn feature, because it works like crap on my '06 XLR, and is a waste of the additional money (they want another $200 for it). However, when my wife's '11 SRX "freebee" trial expired, we signed her up for it and got like a "hunski" off the standard $399. The turn-by-turn works great on her car. :)

One aggravating thing that OnStar did was to change my phone number on the car without even telling me. I noticed the different number on the subscription paperwork, called them up and raised hell. Eventually they came back and told me that the "old" number (which I had given out to friends) was not available any more (Verizon had issued it to someone else when OnStar fumbled it). I gave them (politely) a piece of my mind and told them that they needed to do something to compensate me for the problems of having to contact those folks to whom I had given the number. They came back a few days later and "gave" me another 300 minutes of phone time and extended the expiration date. I'm OK w/ that and am pleasantly surprised that they cared enough to do it.

Hope this helps some of you in your negotiations. FWIW

Tim

Thanks for taking the time to post this... good info!!!

Treasureroom - any update on the Neo product? it sounds more promising than Bluestar...

Neo BT BLUGM-11 review after using it for one month.

I THINK the Neo BT BLUGM-11 is the replacement for Bluestar (Im not positive).
</SPAN>
I installed Neo BT BLUGM-11 and did not like the product at first. It was quirky for 3 days or so. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it did not. Sometimes there was no volume, sometimes it was a top volume. Sometimes it connected to my phone….etc. But I guess my XLR got used to it and after about the 4[SUP]th</SPAN>[/SUP] day Neo BLUGM-11 worked with no problems.
</SPAN>
I had to contact technical support a few times because I am not great with this kind of stuff. They were very helpful and emailed me back within 30 minutes of sending my email. </SPAN>

The OnStar module is located in the trunk on the passenger’s side up near the passenger’s seat. Just pull back the side trunk carpet and there it is. BLUGM-11 takes about 1 minute to install with no tools required. However I strongly suggest you change the connection at the fuse block so the BLUGM-11 shuts off when the car shuts off. The can be accomplished with a Bussmann BP/HHH ATM Add-A-Fuse which was about $5 at pep Boys (Picture below). By plugging the black end into the fuse location for the heated seats, I jumped the power from them to OnStar. I then plugged the red wire into the right side of the onstar fuse terminal. I chose the heated seats because they shut off when the car shuts off and the fuse location is close to the OnStar fuse.

My phone connects automatically when I enter the car. It disconnects when I shut the car off or if I manually disconnect it at the phone. The car radio will go silent for 3 seconds when the phone connects. The car radio will go silent when you make an outgoing call. The car radio will go silent when an incoming call is ringing (even if your phone is on vibrate). The car radio will go silent when an incoming text is ringing and my phone is on normal mode. This is annoying because if you get a lot of texts the radio will continuously go silent for 3 seconds. I can avoid this but putting the phone on pager mode. Incoming texts will not cause the radio to go silent in pager mode. </SPAN>

I do not use the voice dial on my phone so I can’t comment how well it works when connected to the XLR.</SPAN>

I can tell you the sound quality on the phone calls is perfect. I have many people telling me they had no idea I was in a car. The Neo BT BLUGM-11 comes with a quick start guide telling you all the fancy things you can do with the OnStar buttons on the mirror. I tried some of them with no success. Honestly, I don’t need to conference call while driving so that does not concern me. The speaker volume is adjusted with the controls on the steering wheel only. The manual says you can adjust it with the volume control on the phone (this did not work for me). The manual also says you can adjust the volume with the buttons on the OnStar mirror. This also did not work for me. Use the steering wheel volume controls.</SPAN>

The Neo BT BLUGM-11 has a 3.5mm stereo phono plug jack built in. This is because the calls are in mono but you want to listen to music in stereo. It is possible to stream music thru the BLUGM-11 without any further connections but the music comes out of the little OnStar speaker and sounds like poop. If you want to wirelessly listen to music, you need to connect the 3.5mm stereo phono plug on the BLUGM-11 to the aux input on your XLR radio via a phono cord. But wait, the stock XLR radio does not have an aux input jack? That right, but you can order one from Ray Kawal (search his name on this site for posts about his aux cords). I have music streaming thru the BLUGM-11 into the aux input jack . The quality is pretty good, about the same as XM/Sirius radio. </SPAN>

Excellent call quality and ease of use is the only reason I am not returning this product. My opinion is that there are many other cheaper Bluetooth adapters that will do just a good as the Neo BT BLUGM-11. However if you want to retain the stock look of your XLR and use the stock OnStar components this is the only device that will do it. The other advantage is the Neo BT BLUGM-11 can be removed in less than a minute if you sell the car. It is a universal device that will work in any car with OnStar. </SPAN>

Attachments

• 41nTH1MlUsL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    41nTH1MlUsL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 405
The Neo BT BLUGM-11 has a 3.5mm stereo phono plug jack built in. This is because the calls are in mono but you want to listen to music in stereo. It is possible to stream music thru the BLUGM-11 without any further connections but the music comes out of the little OnStar speaker and sounds like poop. If you want to wirelessly listen to music, you need to connect the 3.5mm stereo phono plug on the BLUGM-11 to the aux input on your XLR radio via a phono cord. But wait, the stock XLR radio does not have an aux input jack? That right, but you can order one from Ray Kawal (search his name on this site for posts about his aux cords). I have music streaming thru the BLUGM-11 into the aux input jack . The quality is pretty good, about the same as XM/Sirius radio.

I was just re-reading this post and I completely missed this the first time. I would love to have access to my music via bluetooth, I'll have to look at Kawal's site and look for the aux input. How clean is the interface? how well do the controls work for music?

based on Treasureroom's successful installation, today I ordered the Neo Bluetooth module and the Kawal aux input harness. I'll post an update once everything arrives and I have it installed and working. Big "Thank You" to treasureroom for providing the technical information and for answering questions.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom