Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

New member and a 2004 XLR

MarkSki

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 Thunder Grey XLR
Hello All,

I just bought a 2004 XLR. I have an 88 Corvette and was going to buy a newer Corvette, keeping the 88. I did a search in my area for different cars and for the XLR and one popped up.The only one for 1800 miles of Oregon (from a dealer). It has 44000 miles, new Mitch. tires, and all of the other options that came with the 2004.

I had a 2000 Jaguar XK but a woman ran us off the road and left. We flipped the Jag then rolled 3 times. The car was totaled. The XLR is a much better car than the Jaguar XK and I like it better than the new style C6 Corvette. Although it has 100 less horse power, it's metal, you don't see many in my state and Southern Washington. It's comfortable and has enough power for me.

I'm a Stationary Power Engineer running a power plant for a hospital that is also a doctors and nurse school and the largest employer in Oregon.

I'm looking forward to learning more than what I read in the owner's manual. I'm going to pick up all of the service manuals that I can find. I'm a DIY person, I enjoy working on cars and saving LOTS of labor money.

Mark

Hi mark welcome to the best xlr forum on the interweb. Their are a bunch of DIY people here too. Funny when I purchased my 04 two years back the closest I could find my color combo with only 5500 miles was Seattle Washington. Which ended up being the greatest 2600 mile road trip home to date! I also was looking at the c6's but thought how rare these cars are the resale on them will be way better than a vet. IMO they look way better too. You'll love your choice any questions just ask someone will answer. Have fun

Hey mark
I know is a little late but there will be a Xkr gathering in bowling green Kentucky. The 10th anniversary in mid sept. there are threads mentioning this event here on the topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome, Mark... hope you enjoy your new ride with lots of top down time!!!

Welcome, you should enjoy the car, and the good folks here will help. Lots to read, especially and out water retention and drainage in the trunk. Enjoy the car.
Bruce

Welcome Mark,

I'm very sure you'll love your XLR as long as all the problems associated with the first model year have been taken care of.

Also, much of the XLR is made of pretty much the same material as the Vette.

Welcome to a great forum! Glad you survived what sounds like a scary wreck in your Jag. :ugh: Also glad you picked a XLR & to join here. I'd always wanted a Vette ... until I saw the XLR ... and once I test drove a XLR, that was the end of that!

Welcome to the forum!!!! :cool:

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

I'm always glad to see new forum members join - glad you found us! You will thoroughly enjoy your XLR, I'm sure. They are as much fun as a vette - but much, more rare to see. Get used to getting a lot of people staring at you. :lol:

Enjoy the forum - no such thing as a dumb question - we are all here to help one another... just speak up and ask away. :rocker:

Welcome to the forum, a great source of information!

I like Corvettes, but the XLR projects such a totally different image. It always draws attention and generates lots of questions.

Probably a bit far for you, but we would certainly be glad to see and meet you in Bowling Green! :wave:

Just want to speak up with the rest of the crew and say Welcome and that any question is a good one if you are stuck. Now that I have owned one of these great cars for 2 years I know lots of things about it .........but there is always something coming up......Just ask, we all will help when we can. :blinzel:

If you ever post something and there is a number of 'Views' but no one replies, you can rest assured that there are NOT a bunch of us ignoring you but more like us all saying "I kind of remember a discussion about that somewhere".....followed by "freak if I know........." but eventually someone will remember! :chuckle

Anyway, hope to meet you some day at some gathering!

HEY MARK
WELCOME to the best XLR forum on the Internet and if you got question about your new awesome ride a lot of the members had their XLR a long time and usually help you solve any of your problems. Enjoy your new awesome ride and again welcome the forum! All and hope to meet in Bowling Green Ky. this September at 10 year Homecomig Event!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Thanks Dan

Welcome Mark!! Great choice on your new ride and also this great forum. Enjoy. :wave:

Mike

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome!

We won't be able to attend the Bowling Green Homecoming. I didn't have any idea that I would be buying a new to us new car, never mind an XLR. I'm coming to the end of a three week vacation. I bought the XLR Friday of last week and have to return to work Tuesday night. This is the first time in my years of working that I've ever taken 3 weeks off.

But Audrey and I have not been sitting still, we put 1600 miles on the XLR since last week!!

We learned one thing last night.. We took a trip to northern California to one of the Red Wood forests (you would not believe the size of those trees). On the way back we took the coast route. We stopped in Bandon Oregon which is a quaint town. Audrey bought a bottle of cranberry wine and some cranberry chocolates. We had the top up and I put everything in the trunk. When we got home I was in for a BIG surprise. I didn't know this but I do now, the trunk gets HOT. The wine popped its cork and the box of chocolates looks like 1 rather large piece of light and dark brown blob with lumps!! I spent a couple of hours trying to clean the wine out of the carpet. I've had the trunk open all day trying to air it all out. Tuff Stuff car carpet cleaner does not get the smell of booze out of carpets!

We love the XLR. Much better choice than a newer Vette. I have a C4 1988 coupe. The C5 and C6's are not the same. They have the power but not the rumble (or squeaks).

You guys are not kidding about the stares, questions, and good comments we received this week. Some that see the XLR from the rear think it's a new style Corvette, and others could not believe the XLR is a Cadillac.

Again, thanks to all for the warm welcome. I'll save up my vacation to use for the next Home Coming. It takes a year to plan for that.

Sorry to that you can't make it ( and also about wine in the trunk) but there is other trips that get arranged though out the spring and fall where some of the group members attend. So keep an eye here on the forum for them may be you all can squeeze in a weekend trip! I take my 05 "Roxy" (Yes some of us have names for our XLR!) to Car Shows I spend more time answering question & explaining things about an XLR then a salesman trying to sell one! Just remember to wear a big smile and enjoy your new ride because your running with the AWESOME RIDES NOW! LOL.....

Thanks Dan Gouker

We won't be able to attend the Bowling Green Homecoming. I didn't have any idea that I would be buying a new to us new car, never mind an XLR. I'm coming to the end of a three week vacation. I bought the XLR Friday of last week and have to return to work Tuesday night. This is the first time in my years of working that I've ever taken 3 weeks off.

But Audrey and I have not been sitting still, we put 1600 miles on the XLR since last week!!

We learned one thing last night.. We took a trip to northern California to one of the Red Wood forests (you would not believe the size of those trees). On the way back we took the coast route. We stopped in Bandon Oregon which is a quaint town. Audrey bought a bottle of cranberry wine and some cranberry chocolates. We had the top up and I put everything in the trunk. When we got home I was in for a BIG surprise. I didn't know this but I do now, the trunk gets HOT. The wine popped its cork and the box of chocolates looks like 1 rather large piece of light and dark brown blob with lumps!! I spent a couple of hours trying to clean the wine out of the carpet. I've had the trunk open all day trying to air it all out. Tuff Stuff car carpet cleaner does not get the smell of booze out of carpets!

We love the XLR. Much better choice than a newer Vette. I have a C4 1988 coupe. The C5 and C6's are not the same. They have the power but not the rumble (or squeaks).

You guys are not kidding about the stares, questions, and good comments we received this week. Some that see the XLR from the rear think it's a new style Corvette, and others could not believe the XLR is a Cadillac.

Again, thanks to all for the warm welcome. I'll save up my vacation to use for the next Home Coming. It takes a year to plan for that.

I just read your story....make sure you double check the electronics cubbyhole which is the removable trap door on the left side of your trunk. This is a trouble spot for the XLR if the drain hole in the bottom is plugged. On your model year there were apparently little drain tubes which seem to plug easily, they stopped using drain tubes on my year (not sure if the hole is the same size or not. If the drain hole gets plugged and you have any rear window leakage (or exploding wine) and those electronics get wet.....look out:rocket:

I just read your story....make sure you double check the electronics cubbyhole which is the removable trap door on the left side of your trunk. This is a trouble spot for the XLR if the drain hole in the bottom is plugged. On your model year there were apparently little drain tubes which seem to plug easily, they stopped using drain tubes on my year (not sure if the hole is the same size or not. If the drain hole gets plugged and you have any rear window leakage (or exploding wine) and those electronics get wet.....look out:rocket:

I will double check that aqrea and see what I have and make sure it's clear. The bottle was on the other side.

.......When we got home I was in for a BIG surprise. I didn't know this but I do now, the trunk gets HOT. The wine popped its cork and the box of chocolates looks like 1 rather large piece of light and dark brown blob with lumps!! ........

Wow, I did not know that the trunk got that hot. I have carried groceries back there including carbonated drinks and have never had a problem. This is good to know. Also, be warned that the center console area does get extremely hot. Do not put anything thta can melt in there. I think that this issue was solved on the 05's and on, but am not sure.

Also Welcome to the Forum! I hope that you guys enjoy the XLR!

Nope 05's are HOT TOO!
Roxy actually in the shop right now and have the H & hump axle pipes taken off to have ceramic coated!

Thanks Dan Gouker

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry