Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

New Tire Time

jjsea55

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Black Raven XLR-V, Shale interior
In a recent post about rechroming my stock V wheels, I mentioned the time for new rubber was drawing near. This is kinda embarrassing, but when I purchased this Caddy from Carmax it had new tires... Pirelli P-Zero Rosso...in the standard OEM sizes... and I just simply assumed that they were run-flats as per the original issue.

It recently became known to me that these are indeed NOT of the R-F variety... that original issue Pirelli's were Euforias... and they are no longer provided. Well, welcome to reality, Jeff. However, the P-Zero Rosso's are still available.

A thread search revealed that some of you have moved to placing the same tire on all four corners using the stock rims. A size mentioned multiple times was 255/40/19. This thread was a couple of years old and I'm curious if more recent devopments or preferences have become more of a norm? I'd prefer to continue using my stock rims (hopefully to be chromed at some point), and I suppose I'll remain in the non-RF realm and take my chances with inherent hazards.

If those of you with V's have undertaken the same or similar exercise, I'd appreciate your input as to where you acquired, what tires were selected (brand & size), and were these placed on stock wheels with no adverse effects. I'm looking for ride comfort & as good of tread life as is practical with HP rubber. I don't leave visable tracks of black as a general rule, but good handling at cruising speeds in dry & wet conditions is important.

As usual, your input & advice is greatly appreciated!

My V may need tires this year as well. I had a buddy in the tire business search a while back and said there were some run-flats available, but I don't remember which brand. When the time comes, I'll be thinking over the run-flat, non run-flat scenario myself. I have a 2011 CTS-V Coupe and it does not have run-flats or a spare, just a plug kit and air compressor, so I might do the same on the XLR-V. On another note, I've been researching tires for the CTS-V (don't need them yet) and many owners seem to like the Bridgestone RE-11. I'll have to check and see if they have sizes for the XLR-V.

As far as going with 255's at all corners, it will not be a problem, and you will be able to rotate the tires!! :):)

If you like Michelins, I attended an event where a Michelin rep said their Pilot Supersports (I know the Supersport part is right, I may have the Pilot part of the name wrong) will fit XLR-V's "within tolerances" since they don't have the exact size. This was in response to a question from an XLR-V owner complaining about the lack of choice for tires that meet the specs. I don't have personal experience with it & maybe that's just sales talk, but thought I would pass it along.

Just to be sure I'm clear on this... all four of the wheels on the V are identical... Caddy just elected to alter the OEM sizing on the front versus the back... for whatever reason?

Any knowledge as to whether the 255/40/19 sizing is the widest tire that will allow issue-less drivability? I'm liking the idea of being able to rotate the tires.

Thanks for the input! Keep me posted on any revelations...

My Roxy got new tire last March I went regular tires not run flats keep the AAA active just in case I choose the High Performance Michelin Pilot Super Sport summer tread 30,000 mile they can be rotated, they ride very smooth excellent traction in wet and dry! I went with 235/50 ZR18 mounted on the original aluminum polish wheels!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Thanks Dan

Used Run Flats anyone?

I have a set of the stock Eagle Run Flat 18" take offs from my 09 XLR with under 8,000 miles on them if anyone is interested: not sure how much to ask for them?? make me an offer! The kicker is shipping from Canada, I have not looked into how much to ship them either state-side or within Canada. Come for a visit and save the shipping! My son has a tire store, they can install them for you!

I installed Michelin Pilot Sport (Not run flats) and have a mini-compressor and tire plug kit and CAA (aka: AAA). I prefer the feel of the ride on the Michelins and hope I never have to try the plug kit! I do understand the 'lure' of the idea of keeping with run flats: never have to worry about being stranded and we all know how difficult it is to find our size in stock if you got sidewall damage etc. Anyway, if anyone interested, send me a message!

Sandy got a mini compressor also but a can of some kind of stuff like SLIME like stuff to fill the hole I guess?

Sandy got a mini compressor also but a can of some kind of stuff like SLIME like stuff to fill the hole I guess?

As per my son's input who is in the tire business......use a plug kit please. The slime is horrid stuff when you go to have the tire properly repaired. It goops up everything and can throw the balance of your tire off, its a bear to deal with, messes up your rims etc. I suppose if you try plugging and it still leaks the the slime will get you home but if it is just a slow leak after the plug then you can make it to a tire shop without that goop. Double check this info with your local tire guy.

As per my son's input who is in the tire business......use a plug kit please. The slime is horrid stuff when you go to have the tire properly repaired. It goops up everything and can throw the balance of your tire off, its a bear to deal with, messes up your rims etc. I suppose if you try plugging and it still leaks the the slime will get you home but if it is just a slow leak after the plug then you can make it to a tire shop without that goop. Double check this info with your local tire guy.

I'd have to agree here. My tire guy told me if I ever brought one in with the goop, he'd beat me with it! :bash:

The goop also clogs up the TPMS sensor, so it'll need replacing too whenever you find someone willing to clean the goop from your wheel.

I'd have to agree here. My tire guy told me if I ever brought one in with the goop, he'd beat me with it! :bash:

The goop also clogs up the TPMS sensor, so it'll need replacing too whenever you find someone willing to clean the goop from your wheel.

Thanks for backing me on this Giz! I owe ya with a pic in front of the 'Weiner Mobile' or something equally cool! xoxoxox S ~;) :cool:

Last Spring I went with new tires that were not run flats. I thought the OEM Pirellis were awful. I went with Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Position in 255/40-19 on all four corners. I am happy with the ride, performance and noise. Can't say anything about the wear yet. I had RE-11s on another car and loved them but they were not available in the right size at the time, they may be now, IDK.

I'm still waiting for my new forgeline wheels to arrive but I went with Bfg G Force Sport's (255/45/18 front & 285/35/19 rear)

I'm still waiting for my new forgeline wheels to arrive but I went with Bfg G Force Sport's (255/45/18 front & 285/35/19 rear)

Hey my Canadian friend would u happen to know the offset of those rear rims. That's a pretty wide tire you got on there. I checked out the rims. They look pretty sweet. Can't wait for some pics.

I put it in my tractor tire that had a slow leak and it worked there. It kept me from having to replace two tires because the size was not readily available. That is a slow speed application where balance is not that much of a factor. I would never use it in a road tire, especially with a TPMS sensor. Bottom line is, like everything, matching the product to the proper application is important.

Slime... Good for the RIGHT application

When we owned our motorsports dealership, we customarily used Slime on ATV tires. We have a lot of cactus around here, and slow leaks are inevitable on tires being driven over the prairie. I recall one rancher who brought his ATV in for new tires, 'cuz his old ones were worn smooth. He had used Slime on them. When we pulled them off the rim, we had to laugh, because there had to be a half a million (est. :dunno:) needles sticking into the inside of the tire. Looked like a beard. One had to be careful handling those tires, for sure.

We had some customers (fortunately, only a few) who tried to use Slime on motorcycle tires. Awful decision. Their rims were a disaster, and they had dreadful balance problems, that changed overnight.

Moral: use it only for slow speed applications.

FWIW

Tim

Not much cactus around here, but basically the same problem. Honey Locust, wild roses, blackberry etc. are my problems.

images

I just got some GOOD NEWS from my local Costco Tire Center!

Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 ZP P235/50 ZR 18 97W Run Flats are back in production thanks to BMW's new 18" rims on their 2013 and/or 2014 models.

These are the original sizes the 04 thru 06 XLRs came stock with.

My local Costco and Michelin are having a special in May and I was quoted just under $1200.00 for a full set of 4, total out the door price which includes, tax, disposal of old tires, mounted, balanced and Nitrogen charged!

Cant wait to see the pictures with those on, and pretty curious to see how you get that rear tire in there.

I dropped the XLR off yesterday for the new shoes, should have photos posted by the end of the week.

Can't wait to see some pics. I am also very curious to see how you get those rears under the fender. Did I see snow on your baby in your xm post:confused:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom