Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Passenger Seat light

Lola's Mom

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 Black Raven
I put my tool kit (yes, mine) on the front seat because it won't fit in the trunk ... and now the passenger seat light won't turn off ... any suggestions?

Don't put it on the seat--put it on the floorboard on the passenger side. It is obviously heavy enough for the sensors to pick it up and thinks it is a passenger. Or you could buckle the seat belt and the light will go out.

I put my tool kit (yes, mine) on the front seat because it won't fit in the trunk ... and now the passenger seat light won't turn off ... any suggestions?

I tried buckling the belt ... still wouldn't go out. It won't fit in front on the floor. It's one of those kits that are on wheels with a retractable handle. I'm going to have to change to a soft sided one that will fit into the trunk, but meanwhile, that damn light is driving me crazy! :willy_nilly:

You can try disconnecting the battery for about 15 minutes, unfortunately you may lose all your radio presets. :cool:

Thank you ... I guess I'll just have Ray try that ... I'm glad you guys are around, I hate looking this stuff up .... :squint:

Ruth --That's not a tool kit, it's an overhaul package!!

CC :wave:

PS: Vise grips, ratcheting screwdriver with bit set and sockets, duct tape, tie wraps and a cell phone. Should fit in the trunk with the top down with room to spare. The chances of making a repair in the garage are greater than on the road, so why lug around such a magnificent set of tools? (Unless you're doing house calls. . . )

Ruth --That's not a tool kit, it's an overhaul package!!

CC :wave:

PS: Vise grips, ratcheting screwdriver with bit set and sockets, duct tape, tie wraps and a cell phone. Should fit in the trunk with the top down with room to spare. The chances of making a repair in the garage are greater than on the road, so why lug around such a magnificent set of tools? (Unless you're doing house calls. . . )

I buy gold. Scale, snips, cutters .... :blinzel: And yes, I make house calls.

Are you talking about the passenger indicator light in the rearview mirror? That light comes on anytime there is a passenger over a certian weight (or a toolbag) in the seat. I don't know of anyway to turn that off. It confrims the seat is occupied so the passenger airbag will deploy in a collision.

No, it's the airbag light, next to the fasten seat belt symbol, on your instrument panel. It flashes when you first get in and then it is supposed to disappear, but now mine is staying lit. can you help?

Sounds like a trip to the dealer.:( Hopefully it is nothing and they can clear the code causing it. Good Luck!

No, it's the airbag light, next to the fasten seat belt symbol, on your instrument panel. It flashes when you first get in and then it is supposed to disappear, but now mine is staying lit. can you help?

Does it only come on when the tool kit is in the passenger seat or is it on all the time?

Comes on normal .. flashes, then stays on. Just started when I put the case there. But now whether or not someone is sitting there, or the seat belt is buckled or anything else - it always does the same thing .... ignition, flashes, stays on. (thx Bruce)

Wow ... sounds exactly like what may have happened. We have had the driver's side replaced. Ray used his code reader today, but Lola did not throw any code ...
Of course this would happen now that she is out of warranty :squint:

Oil leak: Oil leaks at the timing cover on 4.6L engines may require a gasket or a new timing cover. (2004-05)

Oil leak: Oil leaks develop on the lower area of 4.6L V8 in the area of the oil distribution plate. (2006-08)

Last week when I dropped the "V" off at the dealer I had both of these leaks and they drop the whole engine to fix them, so, an '06 seems also to be plagued by timing cover gasket leaks. Also got a new battery, I hate to think what all of that would have cost if out of warranty!! :pat:

Last week when I dropped the "V" off at the dealer I had both of these leaks and they drop the whole engine to fix them, so, an '06 seems also to be plagued by timing cover gasket leaks. Also got a new battery, I hate to think what all of that would have cost if out of warranty!! :pat:
It would have cost a lot .... you need to drive the Black Sheep more often ... or give the FOB to MA so that she can! :blinzel:

It would have cost a lot .... you need to drive the Black Sheep more often ... or give the FOB to MA so that she can! :blinzel:

I could/should do that, but she's happy with her own car. . .afraid to put a mark on the Sheep.

So if the car was off warranty, would you spend your own dollars or just live with the dribble?

Well, I wouldn't be thrilled to write the check. . .but I would. I don't want to mess up the garage floor, and a little further along in time it could start to smoke!! Can't have that!!! :squint:

Is the oil leak an issue with the 4.4 as with the 4.6?

Dave

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back