Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Petit Le Mans @ Road Atlanta

Cadillac Tech

Seasoned Member
Sept.23-26. www.roadatlanta.com

PEUGEOT ANNOUNCES ENTRY INTO HISTORIC PETIT LE MANS

Peugeot, the reigning 24 Hours of Le Mans champion, confirmed recently that it will send two of its diesel-powered Peugeot 908 closed-top prototypes to compete in Petit Le Mans powered by MAZDA6 at legendary Road Atlanta on September 26th.
Last year's Petit Le Mans marked the Peugeot factory team's initial appearance at Road Atlanta where they came up 4.512 seconds shy in knocking off perennial race-winner Audi in an epic battle. It was the same again at Sebring this year when Peugeot lost out by 22.279 seconds.
More Information>>>
peugeot-3.jpg

CORVETTE RACING INTRODUCES
NEW GT2 CORVETTE WHICH WILL
RACE AT PETIT LE MANS

Corvette0804-2.jpg
Corvette Racing will open a new chapter with the competition debut of the next-generation Corvette C6.R at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course this weekend (August 6-8). Next month it will take to the rolling hills of Road Atlanta for the 12th Annual Petit Le Mans powered by Mazda6.
In anticipation of a single GT class in 2010, Corvette Racing will test and develop the latest Corvette C6.R in the GT2 category in the final five rounds of the 2009 American Le Mans Series. With the upcoming move to a unified GT category, the twin Compuware Corvette C6.R race cars will compete against rivals representing Ferrari, Porsche, BMW, Aston Martin, Jaguar, Viper, Panoz and Ford. (Photo: Richard Prince)

More Information>>>

TEAM ORECA RETURNING TO
U.S. COMPETITION

ORECA0731-2.jpg
Only days after Peugeot made official its entry into the 12th annual Petit Le Mans Powered by MAZDA6, Team ORECA Matmut AIM plans to enter the American Le Mans Series' cornerstone event. The 1,000-mile/10-hour endurance classic is scheduled for Saturday, September 26 at Road Atlanta and now includes two of Europe's most elite prototype operations.

One of ORECA's LMP1 entries placed fifth overall at this year's running of the 24 Hours of Le Mans. The result put the petrol-powered prototype ahead of four diesel P1s, a remarkable accomplishment for the French team.

ORECA has not competed in the American Le Mans Series since 2000 when it fielded the factory Dodge Vipers in GTS. The results: 16 class victories, five class championships: two driver titles for Olivier Beretta, a pair of team championships for ORECA and a manufacturer crown for Daimler-Chrysler in 1999.
More Information>>>

social-1.gif
5300 Winder Highway · Braselton, Georgia 30517 · 1-800-849-RACE · 770-967-6143

I hesitate to say this, but I'm hoping to attend. I can stay with family in the area, and I really need to visit them! It's been a while since I've been down there.... and we had a great time last year, between the VIP area and Johnny O's auction. It was also great to finally meet Charley!!

I hesitate to say this, but I'm hoping to attend. I can stay with family in the area, and I really need to visit them! It's been a while since I've been down there.... and we had a great time last year, between the VIP area and Johnny O's auction. It was also great to finally meet Charley!!

I hope you can make it. We had a lot of fun last year.

It is a great race at a beautiful track. We love being there and are looking forward to seeing how the Corvettes do against the rest of the GT2 cars for 10 hrs. of hard fought racing.

Bruce :wave:

I reserved our golf cart today. It will be nice for getting around and taking photos.

Bruce :D

NIGHT PRACTICE - A FAN
FAVORITE AT PETIT LE MANS

Don't forget Night Practice on Thursday when every American Le Mans Series entry gets its first and only opportunity to practice during the fading twilight, preparing for the race into the night for the finish of the 12th Annual Petit Le Mans Powered by Mazda6 on Saturday. Your 4 day Superticket gets you into the night practice, so be sure to order now!
www.roadatlanta.com/ev_petit_tix.lasso" Don't miss out Click Here to get your advance priced tickets now!
audi-2cars.jpg

DRAYSON RACING DEBUTING PROTOTYPE EFFORT AT PETIT LE MANS
POWERED BY MAZDA6

The international stature and prominence of the 12th annual Petit Le Mans powered by MAZDA6 grew even more Tuesday with the announcement that Drayson Racing will debut a new Judd-powered Lola B09/60 coupe in the American Le Mans Series cornerstone event. Team owners Lord Paul Drayson and Lady Elspeth Drayson unveiled the team's plan to move to the pinnacle of motorsports - the LMP1 class.
More Information>>>

BMW GAINS MOMENTUM
TOWARDS PETIT LE MANS

At Road America, BMW Rahal Letterman Racing scored its first victory in the American Le Mans Series since Petit Le Mans in 2001. In its first year of a partnership, Joey Hand and Bill Auberlen lead a 1-2 GT2 finish for the new BMW M3. Auberlen and Hand gained nearly a full lap on the rest of the field on an early-race wave-by when John Baker in one of ORBIT Racing's Challenge class Porsches went off at Turn 12.
More Information>>>

PLENTY OF EXCITEMENT AT PETIT LE MANS, SEPT. 23RD -26TH!

GET YOUR ADVANCE PRICED
TICKETS NOW AND DON'T MISS OUT!

The 12th Annual Petit Le Mans Powered by Mazda6 is so much more than just a race... it's a 4-day road racing festival! Don't miss 9 different racing series, 12 thrilling races, driver autograph sessions and chats, tech talks, an open paddock all week, grid walk before the race, Vendor Village, Club Patron, Road Atlanta Sports Bar, Car Corrals, Night Practice, Reserved RV spaces, VIP Hospitality Chalet, Petit Pit Stopfor kids and so much more! Remember, kids under 12 get in free so bring the entire family!
Click here for more information on the above highlights and attractions.

social-1.gif
5300 Winder Highway · Braselton, Georgia 30517 · 1-800-849-RACE · 770-967-6143

Bruce,

Surprize. Long time, no speak.

Now that I live in Chattanooga, please give me a shout as you come through. I am checking into whether I'm free for the Petit LeMans weekend and if so will plan on coming down to Hot-lanta.

Because I now work for VW, I may be able to get some AUDI tickets..........I hope.

XLR KEN

P.S. Have you sold any trailer hitches?

Hey, Ken!!! :wave:

Very nice to see you here again!! You've been missed! :rocker:

Hope to see you here regularly.

Floyd (BB)

To All My XLR Buds :wave:, it's nice to be missed. I still have my teeth ready for a big smile to anybody that may be passing through Choo-Choo Town :naughty:.

Homegameroom, I saw where you may be coming South to the Petit LeMans, so I'll be glad to stamp your passport.

Ken ... tell them the best part .... that you still have the XLR!
How about a trip to Colorado next Spring??
We've missed you!

I'm back on track

You got it RA!!! I've still got the '05 Xenon Blue "baby."

Even with working for V-Dub, I don't want to (or rather Ann won't let me) part with it for an inexpensive company lease. It's still her daily driver and one of only three we've seen in Chattanooga; one black, one silver and her blue.

For anyone interested, there is a never-titled '08 Alpine White one for sale at our Cadillac dealership; cheap. Ann chose to keep her blue one.........

For anyone interested, there is a never-titled '08 Arctic White one for sale at our Cadillac dealership; cheap. Ann chose to keep her blue one.........

Ruthie!!!!

It may have your name on her somewhere!!

Floyd (BB)

Good Hearing from you!!

Hey Ken,

Good to hear from you again!!!:wave: Wish we could make it to Atlanta, but already have other plans with some of the Midwest group. It would be great if you could make Colorado Springs next year!!! And everyone is right--you have been missed. :blinzel:

Bruce,

Surprize. Long time, no speak.

Now that I live in Chattanooga, please give me a shout as you come through. I am checking into whether I'm free for the Petit LeMans weekend and if so will plan on coming down to Hot-lanta.

Because I now work for VW, I may be able to get some AUDI tickets..........I hope.

XLR KEN

P.S. Have you sold any trailer hitches?

Ken, it's great to hear from you. You have been missed!
I hope you can make it to Petit. We would love to see you again. Let us know about the tickets.

Petit Le Mans Auction 2009

Once again I will be holding my auction or helping out those with Alzheimers and a senior citizen day care center here in Gainesville. Over the years we’ve raised over $300,000 and it would be great to continue on with it.
To start with, if you are ordering tickets through Road Atlanta, mention that would like your tickets to go to the Johnny O’Connell charity auction. They’ve been great at supporting it over the years, and their outreach to help others is an amazing thing.
As usual, some of the items to look for are tires from Michelin as well as hopefully some other manufacturers. Driver apparel and team apparel, and hopefully some wrecked body work from the season. Corvette Racing has always been the biggest donor, and I’m confident that Gary and Robin Pratt will once again come up with some great things.
It’s always been fun, and I hope to see you all there.
Sincerely,
Johnny O

http://www.johnnyoconnell.com/

Call 800-849-7223. (make sure you request the Corvette Corral package and that your tickets go to the JO charity auction!)

get-attachment.aspx

Corvette Racing Wins GT2 in Grand Prix of Mosport

Magnussen and O'Connell Score First Victory for New-Generation Corvette, Gavin and Beretta Take Third

BOWMANVILLE, Ont., Aug. 30, 2009 – Corvette Racing returned to the American Le Mans Series winner's circle with the first victory for the GT2 Corvette C6.R at the Grand Prix of Mosport. In only the third race for the production-based GT2 race car, Johnny O'Connell and Jan Magnussen scored a .331-second victory in the No. 3 Compuware Corvette C6.R over the No. 62 Risi Competizione Ferrari 430 GT of Jamie Melo and Pierre Kaffer. Oliver Gavin and Olivier Beretta finished third in the No. 4 Compuware Corvette C6.R, one lap behind their sister car. The winning Corvette C6.R completed 117 laps on the 2.459-mile Mosport International Raceway road course and finished sixth overall.

It was an emotional win for O'Connell and Magnussen, who shared their first ALMS victory at Mosport in 1999. Today O'Connell scored his record-setting seventh win at Mosport in his milestone 100th ALMS start. Magnussen celebrated the birth of his second son on Monday, and then shared the victory podium with O'Connell today.

"It's been the best week of my life," said Magnussen. "First a new baby boy, and then the first win with the GT2 Corvette in Johnny's 100th race."

The decisive moment in the two-hour, 45-minute race came at the 2:15 mark during the final round of pit stops. Kaffer's class-leading No. 62 Ferrari pitted for fuel and tires, followed one lap later by Magnussen's Corvette C6.R in second. When Magnussen rejoined the race, the two cars went side-by-side into the fast downhill section following the pit exit. Magnussen held the inside line though Moss Corner and took the lead for good going into the Andretti Straight. The Dane then withstood intense pressure from Kaffer for the remaining 30 minutes to the checkered flag.

"The pit stop was fantastic and we managed to get out just ahead of the Ferrari," Magnussen said. "That out lap was really hard because my tires were cold and he already had one lap on his tires. There was a bit of banging going into Turn 3, but not too bad. That was the key moment in the race for us.

"After that my Michelin tires were super good and I was able to open up a little gap," Magnussen noted. "When the tires stabilized, it was a matter of not making any mistakes. Kaffer and I were fast in different points of the track, so I had to be really careful in some places and I could relax in other places."

O'Connell started the No. 3 Corvette C6.R fourth on the GT2 grid and moved up to second on the ninth lap. Struggling with a loose car, he handed off to Magnussen at 58 minutes into the race with the car in fourth place. Commenting on Magnussen's charge, O'Connell said, "That was one of the finest drives I've ever seen. It was mistake-free, and knowing what he had to do with that car, today was all Jan. He was a rock star, and the crew had a killer pit stop to get him out in front of the Ferrari."

Gavin started the No. 4 Corvette C6.R from the third spot on the GT2 grid, and quickly slotted into second at the green flag, overtaking the No. 90 BMW of Bill Auberlen. He then took the lead eight minutes into the race, passing the pole-winning BMW M3 of Tommy Milner. Both BMWs subsequently encountered problems, finishing ninth and 11th. Meanwhile Melo drove the Ferrari from the back of the pack to the front after missing qualifying due to an accident in practice.

"At the green flag I got a better jump than the BMW on the outside, so I followed the pole-sitting BMW," Gavin recalled. "For a moment I thought I might be able to get him going into Turn 2, but then decided to bide my time. It seemed like he was struggling with his tires and he had a bit of a bobble coming out of the last turn. I just managed to get around him going into Turn 1, and he was very fair and gave me room.

"We managed to pull away from the BMW, but the Ferrari was coming on strong," Gavin continued. "I had a lot of oil on the windshield, then the rain started, and when I turned on the wiper, it smeared the oil and I couldn't see where I was going. It was a blessing that the caution came when it did."

Beretta replaced Gavin in the No. 4 Corvette while the Ferrari took the lead on the pit stop exchange under a full-course caution. When racing resumed, a six-car train of GT2 cars was racing nose-to-tail, and traffic was heavy. Beretta and Magnussen both passed the Ferrari in Turn 5, seizing the opportunity when the leader was balked by a prototype. At 1:59 into the race, Beretta was forced off the racing line by a prototype. He ended up in the grass, but rejoined in third place.

"Olly did his usual fantastic job and was leading the race when he pitted," Beretta said. "I got in the car and was doing good lap times to try to keep the Ferrari behind. Unfortunately a prototype driver caught me on the top of the hill where the car is very light, and I went off. My main concern was not to crash the car. It was just bad luck for us."

Corvette Racing also scored its third consecutive victory in the Michelin GREEN X Challenge. The No. 4 Corvette C6.R had the best overall score among the 19 GT and prototype entries based on energy used, greenhouse gases emitted, and petroleum fuels displaced. The No. 3 Corvette C6 placed second in the competition.

"The Michelin GREEN X Challenge is indicative of the engineering that goes into these Corvettes," said Corvette Racing program manager Doug Fehan. "We're not just engineering a fast car, we're also engineering a green car through fuel efficiency and E85 ethanol. Those advances transfer into GM production vehicles, so what we saw today was a victory for engineering that will produce a greener future.

"BMW gave us a little help at the beginning when both cars had problems, and we knew it was going to be anybody's race between the Porsches, Ferrari and Corvettes," Fehan said. "We had four marques battling it out. Once again Corvette Racing won it in the pits – we went in second and came out in first place, so the team won it today."

Corvette Racing’s next event is the 1,000-mile/10-hour Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta in Braselton, Ga., on September 26. The race is scheduled to start at 11:15 a.m. ET. SPEED will broadcast live flag-to-flag coverage starting at 11 a.m. ET

Mobil 1 presents the Grand Prix of Mosport GT2 Results:
Pos./Drivers/Car/Laps
1. O'Connell/Magnussen, Chevrolet Corvette C6.R, 117
2. Melo/Kaffer, Ferrari 430 GT, 117
3. Gavin/Beretta, Chevrolet Corvette C6.R, 116
4. Henzler/Werner, Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, 116
5. Bergmeister/Long, Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, 115
6. Farnbacher/James, Panoz Esperante GTLM, 115
7. Law/van Overbeek, Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, 115
8. Feinberg/Hall, Dodge Viper, 113
9. Hand/Auberlen, BMW E92 M3, 110
10. Robertson/Robertson/Murry, Ford GT MK 7, 105
11. Mueller/Milner, BMW E92 M3, 71

NEXT EVENT
September 26, Petit Le Mans, Road Atlanta, Braselton, Ga.
TV: SPEED live, 11 a.m. EDT

get-attachment.aspx

get-attachment.aspx

I just ordered our 4 day Corvette Corral tickets. Larry and his grandson Nate should be joining us and maybe Quinn and DD.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom