Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! power window passenger side

klausman

My XLR/V(s)
2006 laser red XLR
After having the top retracted recently and during putting the top back up, the passenger window stopped, and will not close. It stops about 1 inch from where it should close to. After reading some of the posts on here regarding this topic, I used that information in an attempt to fix this.
1. I reset both windows multiple times
2. I replaced the touch pad for opening the door
3. Interrupted the power
4. Repeated the reset

The top goes up & down fine, the windows retract as they should. The problem window actually works as it should with the final 1/2 inch going up when you close the door, but ending up about 1 inch from the top. It's like the window itself has dropped down inside the missing distance.

All to no avail. I would appreciate any pertaining information on this. Thank you:dunno:

Last edited:
After having the top retracted recently and during putting the top back up, the passenger window stopped, and will not close. It stops about 1 inch from where it should close to. After reading some of the posts on here regarding this topic, I used that information in an attempt to fix this.
1. I reset both windows multiple times
2. I replaced the touch pad for opening the door
3. Interrupted the power
4. Repeated the reset

The top goes up & down fine, the windows retract as they should. The problem window actually works as it should with the final 1/2 inch going up when you close the door, but ending up about 1 inch from the top. It's like the window itself has dropped down inside the missing distance.

All to no avail. I would appreciate any pertaining information on this. Thank you:dunno:

Can I clarify one point, does the window drop down again, or does it go to the 1 inch point and stop there? On my XLR, the rising window could reach a stiff point and then drop down again (in express up mode). I think this is to do with 'finger trap prevention'. I fixed mine by correcting the cause of the stiff part in the track, I lubricated it IIRC. For me the problem arose when I left the window down for long periods of time and then came to want it in the up position. It would travel to the top if I held the switch in the manual up position, ie the first click.

From your description though I don't think this covers your exact symptoms. Can you confirm that when you re-index the window you are holding the switch in the express up position for at least five seconds after the window reaches the top of its travel and then hold express down for at least five seconds after arriving at the bottom?

Does the fault arise if you have the engine running and the door open? Is the window moving quickly and easily?

Last edited:
xlrlist01, Thanks for taking the time to answer my post.

Yes, I used the proper procedure to reset. I always run the engine when I play with the electrical gadgets on the car, like windows, top etc. The window appears to be running smoothly as far as I can tell. It's like it's forgotten how far up it's suppose to go.
A new development since I posted the original post.
I got frustrated :mad: with my inability to resolve this, so I made arrangements to have my mechanic look at it this morning, matter of fact I just got back from dropping it off.
When I got in the car this morning, I had to attempt :cool: another go at it. It actually came up further than before, but still not closing completely, so back to square one.
Thanks again, hopefully it will be an easy fix for the mechanic, I will post the results.

update

Just brought the car back home after today's repair work.
I was informed that the problem was with the window regulator, which was replaced.
Part Cost $595.00
Labor cost $330.00
plus whatever brought it to $1,035.00
I had a $50.00 coupon which lowered that to $985.00

I put the top down on the way home, and we all know how that makes us feel :wave:

:dunno:

Just brought the car back home after today's repair work.
I was informed that the problem was with the window regulator, which was replaced.
Part Cost $595.00
Labor cost $330.00
plus whatever brought it to $1,035.00
I had a $50.00 coupon which lowered that to $985.00

I put the top down on the way home, and we all know how that makes us feel :wave:

:dunno:

I encountered the exact problem a couple days ago on my driver's door.

Should you have the same problem again and have some basic tools (and patience) the procedure is actually easy.

First of all the complete window regulator / motor assemblies are available from GMPARTSDIRECT.com for $304.00

The driver's side is GM part# 20823059 WINDOW REGULATOR.

Some considerate person posted excellent instructions on this website I found:

Cadillac Workshop Manuals > XLR V8-4.6L VIN A (2006) > Windows and Glass > Windows > Window Regulator > Front Door Window Regulator > System Information > Service and Repair > Door Window Components > Page 4630

After I ordered the part I actually found someone selling them on Amazon for $255.00 ... if anyone needs a driver's side window regulator this is a great price.
Amazon.com: ACDelco 20823059 GM Original Equipment Front Driver Side Power Window Regulator and Motor Assembly: Automotive

SPECIAL NOTE:
After you install the new window regulator it WILL NOT GO UP until the door is shut. So work that into the installation procedure.

Last edited:
power window actuator

John, I appreciate this input. Hopefully this won't happen again, but if it does, this will come in very helpful.
Merry Christmas :thumbsup

Help 2004 XLR driver window will not go up need help how to remove door panel and repair window motor.

Help 2004 XLR driver window will not go up need help how to remove door panel and repair window motor.

If you can hear the motor humming it's going to be the window regulator instead of the motor. I recently had the one on the driver's side repaired using extended warranty. $800. Cost me $100

If you can hear the motor humming it's going to be the window regulator instead of the motor. I recently had the one on the driver's side repaired using extended warranty. $800. Cost me $100
It's not humming the window goes down and then up but stops it makes a grinding sound How do you take the door panel off?

To remove the door panel:

1. Ensure a couple of chilled beers are in the fridge
2. Place two beer glasses in the freezer.
3. Lower the door window.
4. Remove the pull handle plug.
5. Remove the two fasteners behind the pull handle plug.
6. Remove the courtesy lamp from the trim panel.
7. Remove the fastener which retains the courtesy lamp in the door's trim panel.
8. Use a trim tool (not a screwdriver!) to remove the fasteners that secure the trim panel to the door. The trim tool goes around the male fastener which fits in the female receptacle in the door. Do this incorrectly, and you will probably damage the retainers. Trim tool sets are cheaper than damaged parts and you'll find lots of excuses to use them.
9. To start the prying process to remove the trim fasteners, start by removing the fastener at the rear of the panel, which is raised about above the trim panel seam. Working forward, remove the remaining trim fasteners.
10. Lift the trim panel upwards and away from the door.
11. Disconnect the electrical connector from the harness.
12. Place the door panel aside.
13. Remove any remaining trim fasteners.
14. Transfer any subsequently removed trim fasteners to the door panel.
15. Remove a frosty glass from the freezer and pour yourself a cold one(s) as you think about the money you're saving (which will pay for more beer!)

CC :wave:

Last edited:
door panel removal

Thanks again CC ,,,, your help is always appreciated :thumbsup

Hope I never need to use your info above..... I've replaced window regulators on other cars,,,,not much fun and usually stressful. Good suggestion about the cold beer :laugh:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom