Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

R/rear turn sinal

Steve Lee

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
My 2005XLR turn signals acted up on a right turn on the way to a Caddy dealer.The right side was just a little faster then the left. Upon checking at the dealership, both sides were working, but the right was just slightly faster. Caddy told me I needed the r/tail light at $5200.00 installed because the LED bulb is not replaceable!!! Ebay has LED bulbs for the car for sale. Is caddy scamming me? Can I just replace the bulb?

There are a couple of places that will rebuild your lights, one I've seen on here is Vettetronics - hopefully I spelled it right. Do a forum search on "tail lights" & you'll find threads on the ones that people have used (I haven't personally).

PS on your color question, assuming your car has original paint it's called Crimson Pearl. If you look on the Tech Center drop down for your year, you can find how many were made in your color & the names of all the colors used that year. :wave:

My 2005XLR turn signals acted up on a right turn on the way to a Caddy dealer.The right side was just a little faster then the left. Upon checking at the dealership, both sides were working, but the right was just slightly faster. Caddy told me I needed the r/tail light at $5200.00 installed because the LED bulb is not replaceable!!! Ebay has LED bulbs for the car for sale. Is caddy scamming me? Can I just replace the bulb?

No you can not just change bulbs. My car did the same until all the LEDs failed on the right. I sent my lights to Vettronics *1 (618) 975-3607‬. Nicely done and well worth the cost considering it’s all new leds and used lights will likely burn out again. Used lights are $3k each pls or minus. Vettronics rebuild was $1,000 both sides plus shipping.

Last edited:
@ $549, this might be a better deal: XLR Tail light Lamp LED REPAIR SERVICE for Single Assembly LH or RH Cadillac | eBay

The profit margin for opening, soldering (cheap!) components, testing, and resealing tail lights is very high even at that price.

CC
I think if you check you will find the work is way above your skill level. Vettetronics has been doing this for some time. The profit is about 200 for about a days work. Those leds in the light are special and not available from just any source. The computer inside the light can be easily damaged not to mention to remove the lens is difficult and the age on the plastic already causes them to crack. He does not charge 1000 per side as mentioned but more like 550. I think he will do them for 500 if you area forum member and do not go thru ebay

It would be interesting where they got that price as they cannot buy the lights new and I would not imagine them buying used ones from junk yard or ebay to install.

the ebay listing is vettetronics. the price on ebay is $550
so good way to go if you have a good taillight that just needs new leds.
the real crime is that the dealer actually quoted a replacement cost of $5200 !!
as they probably were jsut going to do the rebuild thing anyway...
no new units are available ;)

I think if you check you will find the work is way above your skill level. Vettetronics has been doing this for some time. The profit is about 200 for about a days work. Those leds in the light are special and not available from just any source. The computer inside the light can be easily damaged not to mention to remove the lens is difficult and the age on the plastic already causes them to crack. He does not charge 1000 per side as mentioned but more like 550. I think he will do them for 500 if you area forum member and do not go thru ebay

Way above my skill level? LMFAO. You don't have the slightest clue regarding my skill(s) level, proving you have no idea what you're talking about, which isn't surprising --based on your previous posts. Not sure why you feel the need to publicly embarrass yourself with non-factual, inflammatory statements, but it's entertaining. :chuckle

CC

Last edited:
Way above my skill level? LMFAO. You don't have the slightest clue regarding my skill(s) level, proving you have no idea what you're talking about, which isn't surprising --based on your previous posts. Not sure why you feel the need to publicly embarrass yourself with non-factual, inflammatory statements, but it's entertaining. :chuckle

CC
I can very easily say the same thing about you. I was going by your description of how to do the job that clearly shows you have never done one. I have an extra that I will gladly send you and pay you the 550 if you can do the same job as the professional that has done dozens of them.
I think you where doing the exact same thing you accuse me of in your description of the taillight repair.

Says the guy who has been pouting since I pointed out how slim the chances of you EVER bringing an affordable 3D-printed headlight to market. I'm still waiting to see that product. If you can pull it off, I'll be stupefied and admit I was wrong. However. . .

Your only consistent behavior here has been generating ill-will toward the other members.

You whined and said you were done with this forum. Then you back-tracked and returned:

"well apparently people cannot read. I made a very good offer to take their old one in trade. I have sold 2 at 3000$ And traded one new one for a used one and 800$ plus about 6 have sold for more than that on ebay so that must be the value. I am laughing with the nay sayers all the way to the bank as I have a source for a dozen more if needed or I want to spend my time on selling them. I am retired and do not need any money. I have more than I need. Proceeds actually go to a very worthy medical center in Nashville. Just like to find ways to help people and enjoy what I am doing with my spare time hobby. XLR folks don't need any help. T-bird guys have welcomed me with open arms and my 2 projects there have been well supported. Actually gotten many positive feedbacks from people there who read the posts on xlr. Goodbye"

I don't need to prove my ability to you whatsoever. In a few years when I retire and have the time, I might provide a lower-cost alternative for owners to get their lights repaired. They deserve a better value for their hard-earned money than what's currently offered.

You PM'd me awhile back saying I couldn't handle the truth. I laughed so hard I never found time to reply. Until now.

With almost forty years of electronic repair experience for the Defense Department (Electronic Integrated Systems Mechanic) and Aerospace Industry, (Engineer) and certified to NASA-level electronic repair standards for most of that time, (I train and certify craftsman to build and inspect at this level now (IPC/CIT) as a collateral duty) I'm more than up to the task. Automotive tail light repair is not rocket science, --and I'm very aware of the difference. How 'bout you Mr. Big-Talk?

What's the most expensive piece of hardware you've ever held in your hands? What's the most expensive system you have ever worked on? You'd last less than five minutes in a clean room with all the hot air you expel.

You presume much to judge me or comment on my abilities. Why not put your paper where your mouth is? (Remember, you called me out, so I'm just responding to correct what I feel is an error on your part.)

I've got an even better challenge for you: We post our certifications and awards here, and if mine can somehow top yours, you leave the forum forever. Deal? --And no signing up under a different alias later on, okay?

The common theme repeated in your posts leads me to believe you're little more than an opportunistic poser hoping to make a buck off of the good people here. Fortunately, your skills don't back the hype, so you appear to have failed there too. If you want to offer a service, why not become a paying sponsor?

Those of us who have been long-time forum members have seen a number of Big-Talkers over the years. Thankfully, they didn't last long and found other bridges to troll from under.

Keep digging, you've got nowhere else to go but up at this point, since you've hit rock bottom. The PMs I get regarding your behavior toward others would second that.

You've made my Ignore list, so you needn't bother with a reply. I suggest you add me to yours and save yourself further embarrassment, at least as far as the truth is concerned. . .

CC :thumbsup

Last edited:
Exactly, CCC...
My money’s on you, any day of the week. I have nothing but total confidence & respect for your recommendations & input.
However, Mickeytee, you’re a fu**ing joke and I saw that since your 1st post on here...you do prey on others and we all see that...**** off.

ras

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Give me you address and I will be glad to send you one that is already apart so you do not have to break the lens. You will see it is not soldered as you claim but is a pressed in LED. as you well know these are not made to be soldered. I can give you the contact info for the only manufacture of this bulb so you can explain your vast knowledge to him. I just got back from testifying in a 42Million dollar lawsuit in Texas for faulty repairs.. So I think I know a little about what I am saying, but you just go ahead and make those 3d lights. I will be the first to buy one. Oh and I have a good number of people that I have helped so It does not matter to me that you don't agree. :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup OH and I don't think you ever followed up with an address for the scan program I have on the headlights. ? Its written in vxmodel and if you do not have the software already to read that and convert I will send you a trail edition. DSCN5387.jpg

for those who are reading and do not know what the bulbs look like. Here is a photo. You can see that the "simple" job of soldering is not simple because the bulbs are punched into the metal circuit board. The leds themselves have a special metal that resists solder and is made to prevent Galvanic destruction of the two metals that are not the same. So a new circuit board has to be fabricated if you want to use solder. Also you have to replace all the bulbs. When one dies it results in voltage change to the others and they will soon fail. But of course everyone knows that.

Again I state that Vettronic is very well versed in what he does and his price is very fair for the work involved. If you want to get set up to do the same repair there will be plenty of work in the future as Gm only required a bulb that would last 7-9 years and as we know that time is up. That is per the manufacture of the actual factory LED bulb. Not my opinion.

Last edited:
I have never claimed to be the rocket science you are. I have never worked on anything expensive other than the few 5-10 Million cars such as the GT40 serial 108 that I restored. I get my hands dirty. I do not work In a clean room unless it is to assemble a vintage formula one engine. My background is in proper collision repair that prevents injury. That is why I was called to testify in the Dallas case because of improper repairs that resulted in excessive injury. I also have a bunch of pms that asked that I not leave because of folks like you. So I will stay in my field and it will be fine if you do the same

i have to correct myself. My cost on light rebuild was $1000 for both left and righ. Plus shipping. Sorry for the misquote.

Somebody on the forum, told me that you can't just replace the bulb in the tail light, and I believe that he is familiar with the tail lights and told me where to send them and the cost to repair.Then, "Why are tail light bulbs for XRL Caddys advertised on ebay for sale??? What kind of scam is that???"

CC
You have helped on this forum for years. All (most)of us members truly respect you for your XLR knowledge. If mickeytee follow this forum for as long as some of the members he would understand your pay grade. Your pay is our appreciation. Keep up the good work CC:wave:
V Happy

Somebody on the forum, told me that you can't just replace the bulb in the tail light, and I believe that he is familiar with the tail lights and told me where to send them and the cost to repair.Then, "Why are tail light bulbs for XRL Caddys advertised on ebay for sale??? What kind of scam is that???"[/QUO
Not sure which listing you are looking at but there is a format some sellers use where you can list just about every car made. You will see bulbs listed if you search for XLR taillight bulb. The listed can be anything and it will say (fits XLR) That's a spam listing. Makes it hard to actually search for parts for a specific car

Somebody on the forum, told me that you can't just replace the bulb in the tail light, and I believe that he is familiar with the tail lights and told me where to send them and the cost to repair.Then, "Why are tail light bulbs for XRL Caddys advertised on ebay for sale??? What kind of scam is that???"[/QUO
Not sure which listing you are looking at but there is a format some sellers use where you can list just about every car made. You will see bulbs listed if you search for XLR taillight bulb. The listed can be anything and it will say (fits XLR) That's a spam listing. Makes it hard to actually search for parts for a specific car

I thought it was a scam! Thank you. Question: The company on the internet, on EBAY, Says they are difficult to take apart to repair, and won't guarantee that they won't show small cracks in them when you receive them back, because of that. What is your "batting average" with them being in the condition they were when you shipped them? My car is Gorgeous, and the tail lights are perfect in appearance, and I want them to be that way when I get them back.

I thought it was a scam! Thank you. Question: The company on the internet, on EBAY, Says they are difficult to take apart to repair, and won't guarantee that they won't show small cracks in them when you receive them back, because of that. What is your "batting average" with them being in the condition they were when you shipped them? My car is Gorgeous, and the tail lights are perfect in appearance, and I want them to be that way when I get them back.

I’d also think if they don’t replace all the LED bulb’s (which they may do that because they be all connect together anyways) I’d have them all replaced in that unit, who would want to replace a bad bulb only, then have another go out after a repair to that extent! Then maybe have another fail in near future!

Sent from Grand Daddy iPhone using Tapatalk

Somebody on the forum, told me that you can't just replace the bulb in the tail light, and I believe that he is familiar with the tail lights and told me where to send them and the cost to repair.Then, "Why are tail light bulbs for XRL Caddys advertised on ebay for sale??? What kind of scam is that???"

Supply in demand. Tail lights are not widely available. Used replacement is high in cost. That is why the service with Vettronics is worth the money. You get new bulbs that should last are long or longer than original. The tailight units are sealed and the bulbs placed with heat. If your units are not cracked or damaged in any way the Vettronics rebuild is your best option.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom