Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

recover seats

david12601

My XLR/V(s)
2004 satin nickel
I was thinking of getting new cushions and covers for my seats on the 2004 xlr so I googled a bit and I am finding part number 88991576 shale passenger seat cover has been discontinued......anyone having this problem also ???? parts for the drivers seat cover #88991574 are still available.....I just received tracking number for my parts to install sway bar should be here tomorrow.....may have to take a sick day......

Yeah, I was wondering when that was going to happen. The forced obsolecense of our XLR. It starts by discontinuing parts that are not routinely ordered and then goes from there. The 04 is nine years old and unless there are many common parts with the 09's then the parts are going to be more and more difficult to get. Also with rarity often comes additional expense. Not good. :banghead:

A good upholstery shop can match the color and use the 'old skins' as a template. I did a Two-tone interior in my V a couple of years back, and it turned out awesome. Plus every bit of the seats are leather now, as opposed to just the top sections. It shouldn't be that expense, although my friends wife gave me a good deal! She been doing it over 15 years and does many custom cars in our area.

FWIW

seat amd door pamels

I was thinking of getting new cushions and covers for my seats on the 2004 xlr so I googled a bit and I am finding part number 88991576 shale passenger seat cover has been discontinued......anyone having this problem also ???? parts for the drivers seat cover #88991574 are still available.....I just received tracking number for my parts to install sway bar should be here tomorrow.....may have to take a sick day......
My fake suede inserts on my 06-V were starting to look seedy so a found a guy in Santa Ana, CA about 10 miles away that took the seats out, removed the suede and installed perforated black leather inserts in seats a door panels with red piping. It gave it a much sportier look like the 09. New interior seat2.jpgNew interior panel2.jpg There is Weseloh Chevrolet in Carlsbad, CA that can get just about anything for these XLR's

Looks god, standby!

My fake suede inserts on my 06-V were starting to look seedy so a found a guy in Santa Ana, CA about 10 miles away that took the seats out, removed the suede and installed perforated black leather inserts in seats a door panels with red piping. It gave it a much sportier look like the 09. View attachment 3168View attachment 3169 There is Weseloh Chevrolet in Carlsbad, CA that can get just about anything for these XLR's

What did you do about the temperature control air passage in the seats? Perforate the leather?

Rusty 06 V

A good upholstery shop can match the color and use the 'old skins' as a template. I did a Two-tone interior in my V a couple of years back, and it turned out awesome. Plus every bit of the seats are leather now, as opposed to just the top sections. It shouldn't be that expense, although my friends wife gave me a good deal! She been doing it over 15 years and does many custom cars in our area.

FWIW

Yeah- I agree with the posts. Just take it to any decent upholstery shop, and they can fabricate a new piece using the original as the template. Shale is a VERY VERY common leather color.
I had my driver's side bolsters replaced. Was much cheaper having it fabricated versus buying the GM parts. The color matches perfect with the rest of the seat. I think I paid around $250-300 for the labor and the leather.

I still have the ultra suede center inserts on my seats, which as standby states is perforated. If you change the center section, the upholstery shop can do that as well.

What did you do about the temperature control air passage in the seats? Perforate the leather?

Rusty 06 V

My fake suede inserts on my 06-V were starting to look seedy so a found a guy in Santa Ana, CA about 10 miles away that took the seats out, removed the suede and installed perforated black leather inserts in seats a door panels with red piping. It gave it a much sportier look like the 09. View attachment 3168View attachment 3169 There is Weseloh Chevrolet in Carlsbad, CA that can get just about anything for these XLR's

looks great. now the big question is where in florida can they do this? my personal opinion would be to have them take the black all the way up to the headrest. But still looks great.

Going through the same thing. I can't find the passenger seat cover either, so I am looking for a good upholstery shop here. Very disapointed I cant find original equipment seats. My trim around the seat control buttons on both sides are broken also. Fortunately it looks like I can order those still.

Going through the same thing. I can't find the passenger seat cover either, so I am looking for a good upholstery shop here. Very disapointed I cant find original equipment seats. My trim around the seat control buttons on both sides are broken also. Fortunately it looks like I can order those still.

I recently re skinned my drivers seat, did the foam also, with OEM parts. My biggest problem was that the bottom foam was not correctly made. I took a while to get a good one with the air flow ducts correct.

Any Tricks?

I recently re skinned my drivers seat, did the foam also, with OEM parts. My biggest problem was that the bottom foam was not correctly made. I took a while to get a good one with the air flow ducts correct.

Thinking about doing the same. Were there any tricky or difficult parts to re-skinning the driver seat? I don't think I will replace the foam.

Hey Cubby...

FWIW

Hey could you share her info... I'm looking into either re-doing my drivers seat (It has 2 very minor blemishes) or doing a whole different look (Depending on price). I would love to do a two-tone job that matches my paint.

Last edited:
As long as you have the seat cushion leather off, you might want to reconsider replacing the foam underneath (at least for the driver's side.)

Replacement is very quick and simple to do; it lifts straight out. The foam rots and compresses over time, more so on the driver's exit side.

Replacing it will ensure a "like-new" seating experience. When you see how nasty the cushion looks after the many hours spent sitting on it, including the stains from the dirt (and leather cleaners) that eventually go through the vent holes, you may change your mind.

I replaced all of my seat cushions when I re-skinned the seats. The seat back replacement didn't make any appreciable difference, but the cushions sure did! They weren't too expensive either.

CC :wave:

Okay, I have to say this one...

I think there might be some in my profile pictures.

Okay... Cubby probably has thee coolest custom seat job I've seen on this site to date.... VERY VERY COOL... Cubby558. Cudos to ya, buddy seriously.

Stapling?

I would not try to do it alone. It takes some pulling and stapling at the same time. Pay attention as you take the old ones off. Mark the bladder switch wiring so you know where to connect it back.

Pictures
https://plus.google.com/photos/118284146524601387443/albums/5991897163153182481

I just reviewed the procedure in my service manual, and it makes no mention of stapling - just hooks, loops, and clips. Where exactly are the staples? I'm assuming a hardware store 1/4" staple using a pneumatic stapler will be just fine?

BTW - when I click on the link to your picture, google+ makes me request access, so you may have a request on your account

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom