Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

recover seats

Center Insert

Thanks Phrede, the photos make this a lot clearer. One thing that I still don't understand is the removal of the seat back insert. Manual says:

1. Remove the insert at the seat back. Push down on the insert to disengage the insert from the ventilation
duct.
2. Remove the lower fir tree retainers at the bottom of the insert.
3. Remove the insert from the seat.

Does this mean you simply push down from the front of the seat and the top pops free? I wouldn't think it come out just like that, but I don't see how you can access it from the back with the plastic casing there. The parts diagrams seem to show that the suede fabric covering the seat back insert is not integrated/stitched to the leather for the bolsters and headrest. Is this so? Seems odd to me.

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to avoid 1) breaking something expensive :bash:, and 2) getting it apart and then getting stuck on something i don't understand. Thx

Thanks Phrede, the photos make this a lot clearer. One thing that I still don't understand is the removal of the seat back insert. Manual says:

1. Remove the insert at the seat back. Push down on the insert to disengage the insert from the ventilation
duct.
2. Remove the lower fir tree retainers at the bottom of the insert.
3. Remove the insert from the seat.

Does this mean you simply push down from the front of the seat and the top pops free? I wouldn't think it come out just like that, but I don't see how you can access it from the back with the plastic casing there. The parts diagrams seem to show that the suede fabric covering the seat back insert is not integrated/stitched to the leather for the bolsters and headrest. Is this so? Seems odd to me.

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to avoid 1) breaking something expensive :bash:, and 2) getting it apart and then getting stuck on something i don't understand. Thx

I didn't realize google needed authorization to view the pics, sorry. I need to find a different server for the pictures.

Going from memory, which is not as good as it once was so I expect I'll forget something.

The center section is completely separate from the bolsters/sides. It has a separate foam and cover. Each seat has 3 pieces. Bottom, outer back and inner back.

After removing speakers from the seat back unzip and lift up the center of the back section to expose two "buttons".
Remove the tab from the "buttons" that a flap sewn to the bottom of the center section is attached to on the back of the frame.
Push the bottom of the center section slightly towards the front of the seat.
Push down the center section to disengage from the heating/cooling duct.

See the "buttons" near the right side of the photo. Also notice the push in retainers on the bench in the background. These came in from the front side and hold the bolsters and air bladders in place.
2012-11-15-15h15m17.jpg

It is now free to remove.

I remember I wish I had deflated both the lumbar bladders before beginning.

Hope this helps, No problems asking questions.

Last edited:
I remembered after my last post that I still have some pieces left over so I took some pictures of the center section.

There are two "buttons" that the holes on the tab fit over on the back of the seat.

Hope this helps.

20140320_172500.jpg20140320_172518.jpg20140320_172544.jpg

You have to use a lot of downward force to free the seat back cushion from the vent tube at the top of the seat. This pic (of the passenger seat) should give you an idea of how long the tube is.

CC :wave:

Attachments

• Seat Back Vent Connection.jpg
    Seat Back Vent Connection.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 408
  • Removed Seat Back.jpg
    Removed Seat Back.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 370
  • Seat back Cushion Removed.jpg
    Seat back Cushion Removed.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 410
I reskinned my drivers seat shortly after I bought my car. The worst part I remember were the hog rings - very sturdy metal rings that hold the leather covering at the front of the base of the seat. They were difficult to get off and difficult (though not impossible) to get back on. The reason I took everything apart was that I had a issue with one of the wires that acts as a support for the seat. It broke when I put my weight on one knee on the seat when I was cleaning something in the car and it snapped. The replacement was cheap and not too difficult to install.

I also replaced all the foam while I was at it.

I reskinned my drivers seat shortly after I bought my car. The worst part I remember were the hog rings - very sturdy metal rings that hold the leather covering at the front of the base of the seat. They were difficult to get off and difficult (though not impossible) to get back on. The reason I took everything apart was that I had a issue with one of the wires that acts as a support for the seat. It broke when I put my weight on one knee on the seat when I was cleaning something in the car and it snapped. The replacement was cheap and not too difficult to install.

I also replaced all the foam while I was at it.

I don't remember any hog rings Maybe a model year thing :dunno:

A good upholstery shop can match the color and use the 'old skins' as a template. I did a Two-tone interior in my V a couple of years back, and it turned out awesome. Plus every bit of the seats are leather now, as opposed to just the top sections. It shouldn't be that expense, although my friends wife gave me a good deal! She been doing it over 15 years and does many custom cars in our area.

FWIW

Hi Cubby, I am in Northern IL. and my 2007 seats are starting to show their age. Would you be able to provide me the contact information for your friend's business.... I have been so hesitant to have the seats done, because I would rather work with someone who has proven themselves...

I'd love to help you guys out, but she took a fall last year before Thanksgiving; shattering her elbow and breaking a leg. She hasn't been doing anything but rehab since then and is probably going to retire from her upholstery business. I'll be out her way next month and will stop and see what her status is hen and let you know.

Hey could you share her info... I'm looking into either re-doing my drivers seat (It has 2 very minor blemishes) or doing a whole different look (Depending on price). I would love to do a two-tone job that matches my paint.

Hi Cubby, I am in Northern IL. and my 2007 seats are starting to show their age. Would you be able to provide me the contact information for your friend's business.... I have been so hesitant to have the seats done, because I would rather work with someone who has proven themselves...

I'd love to help you guys out, but she took a fall last year before Thanksgiving; shattering her elbow and breaking a leg. She hasn't been doing anything but rehab since then and is probably going to retire from her upholstery business. I'll be out her way next month and will stop and see what her status is hen and let you know.

Thank you so much Cubby!!!

Thanks Cubby.... You ARE the man and I love those seat bro.

Mine at the sides are looking a little worn because of always getting in and out. Also have noticed a somewhat green tint to the area. Here are some pics. Sorry for the darkness.
268076e0f480395e79de877aec99be8e.jpg
d3e9d0ba244b9c822fe7cdf05b49e9d2.jpg
. Also my armrest that I had dyed a yr ago doesn't take well to being cleaned.
b459c469a4d440d43063d607cf7d78d6.jpg
3a7b18df8e1e6554d007d3d685f1c845.jpg
so I think there is a auto leather company in my area. The only thing is it's 45 drive in a not so great area of town

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Using a leather conditioner will help those cracks or rippling. Leather needs to stay lubed. Someone told me a log time ago and never forgot it." Lubrication is important in every aspect of life!":laugh:

I hate to say this but that's looking like 1969 Cadillac seats, I have photos posted in this thread showing a re-upholstery job on my 06 seats that look brand new. Removed the fake suede & installed black perforated leather in seat inserts and inserts on door, so they can be freshened up, it's just going to cost a few bucks. Mine cost me around $800 which is cheap. Find yourself a older man like I did that had been in the business, of course this is in CA, but there are people around that will do it for bread money.
I do have a mark from my wallet, but that can be dyed as I have had that done before, now I turn around & drop into the seat without forcing my weight on the bolster. Top down and cruising PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) in a half hour. Wish you were all here.:blinzel:
New Interior seat.jpgNew interior panel.jpgThere was a remark about the height of the back part of the seat that it didn't go up high enough. I see the persons point but there is a break there and I was going to have a large V put on that but never got around to it.

Mine at the sides are looking a little worn because of always getting in and out. Also have noticed a somewhat green tint to the area. Here are some pics. Sorry for the darkness.
so I think there is a auto leather company in my area. The only thing is it's 45 drive in a not so great area of town

Hi hawkeye372,
My seat bolsters were looking EXACTLY like yours!!
I tried every single leather cleaner, conditioner, etc... and even tried re-spraying them.

The only solution I was happy with was just biting the bullet and having the panels replaced by an auto upholstery shop.
It was $275, and the replacement leather was a perfect color match. 30k miles after the replacement and still looks good ;-)

-Mark

Hi hawkeye372,
My seat bolsters were looking EXACTLY like yours!!
I tried every single leather cleaner, conditioner, etc... and even tried re-spraying them.

The only solution I was happy with was just biting the bullet and having the panels replaced by an auto upholstery shop.
It was $275, and the replacement leather was a perfect color match. 30k miles after the replacement and still looks good ;-)

-Mark

Thanks San Diego I have cleaned the seats and even had the arm rest redyed. I just bought a new maguires conditioner and restorer. The seats were already worn a little but and starting to discolor. So if it gets worse I will take your advice and have them redone. I have just around 36 k on my clock and still love my ride. This is really the only thing that bothers me. So far.

Yeah, it's wild that the leather looks so bad for 36k. Mine looked pretty horrible at 55k, and I finally had it replaced at 60k.
Re-dying is a temporary fix for low-use areas.

Have you tried SEM Classic Coat Flexible spray coating? Bottle 17203- GMC 149B Shale.
Amazon.com: SEM 17203 Shale Classic Coat - 16 oz.: Automotive

This has worked well on my passenger side, which doesn't get that much constant use.

It's really annoying when you see some cars with 150k+ miles and the leather still looks brand new (some BMWs, Mercedes, Lexus, etc).

Although being in such a low-slung car causes a lot of premature wear as you enter and exit. The Acura NSX and Honda S2000 are notorious for premature leather wear.

-Mark

I have just around 36 k on my clock and still love my ride. This is really the only thing that bothers me. So far.

Yeah, it's wild that the leather looks so bad for 36k. Mine looked pretty horrible at 55k, and I finally had it replaced at 60k.

Have you tried SEM Classic Coat Flexible spray coating? Bottle 17203- GMC 149B Shale.

This has worked well on my passenger side, which doesn't get that much constant use.

It's really annoying when you see some cars with 150k+ miles and the leather still looks brand new (some BMWs, Mercedes, Lexus, etc).

Although being in such a low-slung car causes a lot of premature wear as you enter and exit. The Acura NSX and Honda S2000 are notorious for premature leather wear.

-Mark
I'll look into this. Thanks
guy

-Mark

Let me just say I'm the 3rd owner. I purchased in October of 2012.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back