Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Roof Operation

I just got a 2007 XLR and when I operate the roof, the bracing behind the seats move quite a bit. is this normal during roof operation or do I have a problem? :confused:

Hi, welcome to the forum!

FYI, when I first got my car, I noticed a liberal amount of grease in the horizontal slide elements (I don't know the technically accurate names) on each side of the trunk, and wondered about it. Since then, I've watched the operation several times, and I think the lube is essential. My top operates very smoothly, with no binding of any kind. :) Check the lube of the components. You can stop the top up/down operation mid-way through, and see how the pieces work.

FWIW

Tim

Hi, welcome to the forum!

FYI, when I first got my car, I noticed a liberal amount of grease in the horizontal slide elements (I don't know the technically accurate names) on each side of the trunk, and wondered about it. Since then, I've watched the operation several times, and I think the lube is essential. My top operates very smoothly, with no binding of any kind. :) Check the lube of the components. You can stop the top up/down operation mid-way through, and see how the pieces work.

FWIW

Tim

Hi Tim, The top does move smooth during operation, but the initial movement when separating the roof from the windshield there is movement in the panel behind the seat. Very noticeable if seats are all the way back in travel. Kevin

Hi Tim, The top does move smooth during operation, but the initial movement when separating the roof from the windshield there is movement in the panel behind the seat. Very noticeable if seats are all the way back in travel. Kevin
Well, Kevin, in that case, maybe the latches that "grab" on to the windshield frame are sticking. I'm sort of a lube-it-if-it-sticks kind of guy. Those latches are on the front of the roof segment, so stop the operation half-way and see if they're OK. On mine, I also put some door latch grease on the shiny rods that the roof latches up to. Maybe one or two latches are hanging on to those little rods in the windshield frame, and the roof's starting back before they're free. :dunno: Sure can't hurt. :)

Tim

Mine does this, too, and I have watched from both the inside and the trunk. I think its normal because the pieces in the trunk are running smoothly, but some of the hydraulic arms must move in that area for the top to come down. I think they are connected to what I call the flapper (technical term), the three piece rear deck . When this area raises the back of the waterfall bulges. Again, I think this is normal.

I have had a lot of roof issues in the past. My roof is currently running fine and I can notice some flex in the seat back. When you consider the length of the moment arm cantilevered out when the roof separates from the windshield, it is not surprising. It transitions from it's heaviest load to it's lightest load as the roof touches the windshield which will make things more noticeable.

IMHO lubricating something not intended to be lubed can cause problems like attracting dirt and grit. I would refer to the service manual for lubrication points and type of lube.

Mine does this, too, and I have watched from both the inside and the trunk. I think its normal because the pieces in the trunk are running smoothly, but some of the hydraulic arms must move in that area for the top to come down. I think they are connected to what I call the flapper (technical term), the three piece rear deck . When this area raises the back of the waterfall bulges. Again, I think this is normal.

How much did you have to pay to get her to let you out of the trunk? :wave:

The back of my seat has always bulged a bit (I feel it - I'm 6'2" and have the seat pretty far back)... I think it is normal. BTW, how many miles on your '07?

How much did you have to pay to get her to let you out of the trunk? :wave:

Good one Pherde! she probably ignored the banging, screaming, & yelling coming from trunk! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Thanks Dan

I just got a 2007 XLR and when I operate the roof, the bracing behind the seats move quite a bit. is this normal during roof operation or do I have a problem? :confused:

Hollywood
I do believe according to all the posts here it seams to be a normal function, mine does it too! Often noticed it but figured it was suppose to do it! I ask at the Cadillac Dealer about grease maintenance and they recommended not to fool with it unless something did not seem right or wasn't opening / closing properly! In plain words they don't recommend a maintenance for lubing that area!

Hollywood
I do believe according to all the posts here it seams to be a normal function, mine does it too! Often noticed it but figured it was suppose to do it! I ask at the Cadillac Dealer about grease maintenance and they recommended not to fool with it unless something did not seem right or wasn't opening / closing properly! In plain words they don't recommend a maintenance for lubing that area!

Yes mine does it too. I guess its like a morning stretch for the roof. Its just like when you move for the first time in the morning. I have the roof down most of the time but when its up i notice it a little when i do lower it

ok here is a good one. Went to wash my car today at the touchless car wash around the corner from my house. got back home to finish drying her off.i opened the trunk and noticed along the hinge bracket that i have exposed wires. Walked over to the other side of the car and noticed that the bracket was closed but had some other sort of cover over it. So i just snapped the one piece back in but might have to go to the dealer or auto store and find a cover for that other exposed area? :dunno:
photo.JPGdrivers side

photo.jpgpassenger side

ok here is a good one. Went to wash my car today at the touchless car wash around the corner from my house. got back home to finish drying her off.i opened the trunk and noticed along the hinge bracket that i have exposed wires. Walked over to the other side of the car and noticed that the bracket was closed but had some other sort of cover over it. So i just snapped the one piece back in but might have to go to the dealer or auto store and find a cover for that other exposed area? :dunno:
View attachment 2763drivers side

View attachment 2764passenger side
I really would not be too concerned. It appears the wiring is being held in place and there is no risk of it getting pinched.

Another concern is, the about the wiring getting wet. The passenger side has a protective sleeve and brackets. The drivers side just has the one bracket that I snapped back into place, and no protective sleeve. But I guess as long as the top doesn't go up and down where I have to open the trunk then I'm alright unless I get a blowing rain storm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guy your wires ( are not bare ) they are plastic coated and they can't get wet inside a closed trunk as long as there not loose or hanging out to catch anything you should be fine!

Ok thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well,

I took the car and had the roof recalibrated and now the flex is not bad. I think one of the sensors was a bit out of spec and was getting the hydraulics to push to its limit to finish roof operation.
I would expect some flex considering the tube steel frame that has to lift all that trunk and roof.
I did however learn how to manually move the roof just to make sure I know how to do it if I ever have an issue.

Sunny days are here. Time to have some fun!

Well,

I took the car and had the roof recalibrated and now the flex is not bad. I think one of the sensors was a bit out of spec and was getting the hydraulics to push to its limit to finish roof operation.
I would expect some flex considering the tube steel frame that has to lift all that trunk and roof.
I did however learn how to manually move the roof just to make sure I know how to do it if I ever have an issue.

Sunny days are here. Time to have some fun!

Awesome to hear! Drive safe out there!

William R.
Cadillac Customer Care

Roof operation

Looking at an '04 w/ 42k. May purchase.
The top seems to work partially. Trunk lifts, panel behind seat lips up, but top does not separate from wind shield. It pulls back only a fraction then all stops.

Thoughts?

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back