Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Roof panel separating on an '04

I have been another lucky 10 year 04 XLR owner with only 33k miles to have this problem. Driving down the Florida Turnpike this morning I suddenly heard a rush of air from my rearview mirror area. I was only a few miles from the service plaza. Pulled into the Shell gas station and sure enough the front middle portion of the roof has lifted up. I have been reading these forum posts and the news story and thought it’s not going to happen to me. I was wrong. People are surprised that I have held onto this car with all the problems I have had with so little miles. I had bought a extended warranty. Thankfully. Cadillac has always taken good care of me and I love having a car that you don’t see every day. Hopefully they can solve this problem before our roofs blow off and cause a serious accident. My car is now parked as it is not worth risking that.

Best thing to do is park it. It will blow off. Its just like the headlight outer lens on 06 and late 05. Once that seal is broken they will peel off like a grape. I have tried to peel them off before and the tops are stuck well until the seal starts to break loose. Once it does, you can peel it off with a plastic putty knife.

Claude Nolan Cadillac now has the car...took it to them this morning. They provided an Enterprise Rental car as a loaner. Once the roof is fixed, they will diagnose the engine oil leak, at my cost.

That’s great they gave you the loaner. I have set a appointment this Thursday at Plaza Cadillac. I also emailed the socialmedia@gm.com with my car info and dealer name. Hopefully they can assist in getting mine covered for repair too.

Also file a report with the NHTSA. They said this has been under their radar for some time now. I took mine in yesterday and got a estimate for repair, that was forwarded to GM. Cost is $346.63. Now waiting to see if they will cover it.

this is almost funny. GM has said repeatedly over the years in their collision repair procedures to NEVER reuse a panel that has previously been bonded to a car. IE peeling away the inner fender and reattaching it. It even said that when you remove the inner to do a frame splice that he inner fiberglass or SMC panel must be replaced. Now apparently they are just rebonding the tops back. Which really should work because the cost is now in their favor.

Here is my update from the dealer this morning. GM has authorized covering my repair. Only they don’t want to reattach the original roof panel. They are going to replace it. I’m waiting for the new panel to come in and get painted. Then schedule a appointment. This is great news.

:thumbsup Great news H2,,glad GM is stepping up to the plate. Probably only because some have reported the dangerous condition to the Feds.... Keep up with 'updates' as the repair/fix is done please!

Here is my update from the dealer this morning. GM has authorized covering my repair. Only they don’t want to reattach the original roof panel. They are going to replace it. I’m waiting for the new panel to come in and get painted. Then schedule a appointment. This is great news.

That’s Awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H2con, can you give me the contact info of who you spoke with at cadillac/gm? What dealership did you use?

H2con, can you give me the contact info of who you spoke with at cadillac/gm? What dealership did you use?

All contact that was made with GM was through the socialmedia@gm.com email. They then contacted my dealer Plaza Cadillac. It went in last Thursday for the estimate that was sent to GM. I got the call today from the dealer and a email from socialmedia@gm.com to verify if I heard from the dealer.

I picked up the car on Tuesday of this week. It now has a new roof panel and the weatherstrip for the driver's side quarter window. They would not address the oil leaks, other than to quote $5800 to pull the engine and reseal. I was hoping for a more definitive diagnosis, but they said that the valve cover gaskets needed to be replaced (they were replaced 3 weeks BEFORE they had it), the rear main is leaking (it is not-the interior of the bell housing is dry), and the oil pan gasket is leaking (at least they did not charge the $107 diagnostic fee). I read where someone (maybe on this forum), used an engine support and dropped the front suspension, allowing the repairs to be made from underneath. I have a support bar and may tackle it IF I decide to keep the car. Anyway, I am indebted to whomever got GM's attention to repair the top. A special thanks to Jenifer J.!!!

HI PURE ZEN.

I was away for few years and lately i have try to communicate with CCClark , looks that he when in a GO with one the XLR owner, with the same issue that would have like to share in friendly way with no confrontation.

Wish to see him back.....he is a strong valueable member.

IAN

2 wheel, did they give yo ua bill to see how much GM is paying? I think anyone that has had the repair done at their own expense or had insurance somehow pay for ti should be getting the ir payments back. The support bar wont work on holding the engine. The fiberglass inner wheelhouse will not hold it. you would need an over head hoist or a cherry picker but then it may be in the way under the car.

Got an email from GM on Thursday referencing the roof separation. They asked for my "servicing dealer". Will keep you all posted on the resolution.

I dropped my car off on Monday. They gave me a loaner. I picked it back up today and everything looks great. The dealer said GM wanted them to overnight my top to them so they could inspect it.

I am still in limbo with my top, and the poor car still sits in the garage. I have been corresponding with GM via email for the past couple weeks. They have asked for the dealership in my town, but I have not received anything promising yet. This morning I received an email from GM stating they were still waiting "for a determination" from the dealership. The email also mentioned that they will be "escalating this to an internal team to expedite this matter". I am hoping for a positive resolution as you all seem to be having.

Hy XLR owner.

Few weeks in 2011 after i purchase my XLR from a GM dealer and inspected at an other Cadillac dealer, i was at a car exposition on a friday night and spoke with 2 technictians of also from a different Cadillac dealer, they ask me if i was getting problems with the roof latch that will unlock by itself, i found that their question sounds ridicule, as per their statement some customers return their car for this un safe faillure.

Now today i realise that it could happened, as we saw on this site some roof covers flying on the road, they say that a photo worth a thousand words is in it, enclosed is a photo on internet that shows a 2008 Elecktra completed roof cover, the cover shows internaly the air that circulated freely and the air seems to come from the rear and the sides weatherstrips.

An other photo shows of pop out roof cover, showing dirt on the RH side indicating that the cover was not seating properly on the roof boby and it could get the air coming in as per previous photo shows it, the possibility of unlevelled cover could withthe help of the vibrations and the hot weather had the roof unlock and creating a very strong air pressure.

An other photo shows the type of material to bound the cover on the roof frame, it looks like a 3M ruban stickers, if that tiny ruban do not propely with both shapes of the components there could be a chance off bad bounds is in it.

The last phase on a folding top, is the roof latch to lock properly, if an hydraulic or else problem occur it could release the lock, and the top could open of a quater or half inch and create a monster air draft and the roof cover with its sticker could not be able to stay on.

My car is store presently and i am scare now to go out with it on hyways, i will for sure have it inspect at my Cadillac dealer on my next visit for an oil change service.

IAN A 1  Electra blue top panel s-l1600[2].jpgA 1 uploadfromtaptalk1412799176038[1].jpgA 1 002[1].jpg

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom