Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Rubber moldings; discoloration & decomp.

M

mswaim

Doris and I are curious if any of you are experiencing discoloration and even some slight surface decomposition on the rubber moldings around the trunk, the moldings just to the rear of the doors, etc.

We had a similar issue with the 04, but the 07 is much worse. It's in the shop getting the top re-painted, the body shop manager seems to think it's my fault. He feels I am using an abrasive washing technique that is causing the discoloration. :dunno: Yea, I know...........If he used both hands and a map he couldn't find his @ss, afterall this is the third re-painting of the top. Hey, maybe that is my fault too.

They have agreed to replace all of the gaskets - how magnanimous of them.........:rolleyes:

Kent - I believe you may have experienced a similar issue?

Anyone else?

I noticed a bit of "graying" on the rubber(?) on the surface of the doors, although not on any of the rubber gasket material on my XLR. I haven't noticed any change on the "V." I recently bought some dielectric grease I will apply to all those rubbery surfaces so they stay black and pliable.

Floyd (BB)

My car came with quite a bit of discoloration caused by oxidation on the door glass gaskets and leading edge windshield molding. I cleaned it all off with IPA and a lot of elbow grease, then applied some great vinyl & rubber dressing I got from Griot's Garage. (Armorall only masks the oxidation, it won't remove it.) It looks great and I haven't had any more issues.

Parking a car outside in strong UV rays for extended periods is horrible for rubber. The Griot's product is the best stuff I've ever used. It's non-greasy, long-lasting, leaves a nice matte-black shine and offers excellent UV protection. It looks especially good on the dash pad and interior rear deck too. Highly recommended.

CC :rocker:

Car cover for you guys that have your cars out in the rays. Mine is in the garage all week and still looks good. That Toyota place where Doris works must have some parking what is in the shade.
Happy Everything
Doris and I are curious if any of you are experiencing discoloration and even some slight surface decomposition on the rubber moldings around the trunk, the moldings just to the rear of the doors, etc.

We had a similar issue with the 04, but the 07 is much worse. It's in the shop getting the top re-painted, the body shop manager seems to think it's my fault. He feels I am using an abrasive washing technique that is causing the discoloration. :dunno: Yea, I know...........If he used both hands and a map he couldn't find his @ss, afterall this is the third re-painting of the top. Hey, maybe that is my fault too.

They have agreed to replace all of the gaskets - how magnanimous of them.........:rolleyes:

Kent - I believe you may have experienced a similar issue?

Anyone else?

I could see some breakdown if it was highly exposed to sunlight over time, but it is a two year old car that sees the garage almost as much as it sees daylight. Our CTS's moldings are perfect and it sees much more sunlight - and the same washing technique.........me and a bucket of soap! :laugh:

I have a problem with all the outside molding on my 2006 Black Star. Apparently they painted the molding black and it has chipped off every where. I took it to the dealor and they said they would have to get a okay from the factory to replace all of it. When I bought it I was assured by the General Manager that Cadillac would take care of it. Well as you age your suppose to get wiser unfortunately he doesnt recall saying that to me and I failed to have it in the contract. So I will wait for the factory to respond.

I have a Corvette and have always used 303R (they use this on the space shuttle) on all the rubber and leather. This stuff is expensive but it has an extremely good UV protectant in it and in Arizona you need all the protection you can get. I highly recommend it. If you put it on your tires as a dressing it keeps it from coming off on the side of your car when you drive it. Also the more coats you put on the brighter and newer it makes the car look.

Fred (speedway)

I had noticed it and had planned to take some elbow grease to it one day but my dealer noticed it when I took it in last month and had it replaced no questions asked. He said there is a service bulletin or some such communication on it from GM. One of my coworkers had hers done about a year ago, same dealer and also with no questions asked but she had to point it out to them.

I have a great service department which is why I have stuck with Cadillacs even after the pains of owning a Catera.

That 303 Speedway mentioned is great stuff. I use it on my RV which is in desert sunlight 365 days a year.

Bruce - any input on a service bulletin to address this?

Thanks Kent - you obviously have a dealership who values after-sales service and patronage.

Doris and I are slow learners. You would think after three Cadillacs and a Corvette, our stealership would place some value on our continued patronage, but they would rather bend our ears over their declining sales and how they hope the bailout plan will assist them in keeping afloat.. :(

Hi! Thought I'd add my 2 cents to the comments on this thread. I use "Meguire's Mirror Glaze Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner and Conditioner #40". I have used it for years on my 70 and 71 Pontiac Firebirds. It does a great job, It does not leave that wet greasy look you get from Armour All. It has kept the original interiors (vinyl and plastic) of my firebirds,both of which I still own, soft and pliable. (Yes, the oldest interior is 39 years old and the youngest is 38.)

I noticed that the rubber on top of the doors of my 06 V was getting dull and powdery looking. Some elbow grease and the Meguire's brought back a like new shine that lasts for a long time between applications. I use #40 on all the rubber and plastic on the car.

You should be able to find it local at any of the chain auto supply stores at a reasonable price.

I hope you find this info useful

Jack

rubber

Jack, I too have used the Meguir's rubber product for many years but, I also have used the "Worths" product from Germany. There rubber conditioner seem to actually revitialize the rubber plus making it flexable again too and leave no greasy effect! Then for dark trim or flat black rubber theres a fantastic product called "Black Again" it litterly refinishes it with very little work. Jim F

Adam's also makes some excellent products, their VRT is for Vinyl, Rubber & Tires and works greatty. Non greasy and won't sling off tires. They also have an Under Carriage spray for keeping the wheel wells nice and subtle black looking - smells like grapes. Tracy loves when I do her undercarriage :)pat:) - because the garage smells nice.
Bruce

I'm not even going there on this one:pat::pat::pat::pat:
Adam's also makes some excellent products, their VRT is for Vinyl, Rubber & Tires and works greatty. Non greasy and won't sling off tires. They also have an Under Carriage spray for keeping the wheel wells nice and subtle black looking - smells like grapes. Tracy loves when I do her undercarriage :)pat:) - because the garage smells nice.
Bruce

Thanks for all the helpful tips, moving forward I will pick up one of the products and use it. Quite frankly, I've never kept a car long enough, or had one with trim that deteriorated in such a short period of time, especially a garage queen like this one.

I'll check with a tech over on another GM website about the service bulletin, although its a moot point since they agreed to replace them all. To me, its the principle now; if there is a service bulletin covering said trim I want to point it out to the moron who feels my washing the car with a wool mitt caused the damage............:squint:

Thanks again!

I called my Cadillac service department today, to find out when the rubber moldings for PD would be in. I guess GM has a new area tech, who wants to see the car before they make the final decision. His comment to Gary was that we are using the wrong products on the car, and we have damaged the rubber, how stupid is that???? Did someone post that GM has a bulletin on the moldings?? HELP!!!!:pat::pat:

Thanks for all the helpful tips, moving forward I will pick up one of the products and use it. Quite frankly, I've never kept a car long enough, or had one with trim that deteriorated in such a short period of time, especially a garage queen like this one.

I'll check with a tech over on another GM website about the service bulletin, although its a moot point since they agreed to replace them all. To me, its the principle now; if there is a service bulletin covering said trim I want to point it out to the moron who feels my washing the car with a wool mitt caused the damage............:squint:

Thanks again!

I looked at my invoice copy to see if there is a reference to the communication from GM but all I see is Condition code DV and Fail code 4N and a part Auth: TH 102708 5 hours total labor. Looks like 12 pieces including the windshield header.

I have a problem with all the outside molding on my 2006 Black Star. Apparently they painted the molding black and it has chipped off every where. I took it to the dealor and they said they would have to get a okay from the factory to replace all of it. When I bought it I was assured by the General Manager that Cadillac would take care of it. Well as you age your suppose to get wiser unfortunately he doesnt recall saying that to me and I failed to have it in the contract. So I will wait for the factory to respond.

I have a Corvette and have always used 303R (they use this on the space shuttle) on all the rubber and leather. This stuff is expensive but it has an extremely good UV protectant in it and in Arizona you need all the protection you can get. I highly recommend it. If you put it on your tires as a dressing it keeps it from coming off on the side of your car when you drive it. Also the more coats you put on the brighter and newer it makes the car look.

Fred (speedway)

I got a call from the Dealor Service rep today and was informed that the Factory Rep would not look at the car nor participate that it was caused by the sun. Hard to believe he wouldnt even look at the problem I am guessing its because they have discontinued making XLR's.

Speedway:(

Just to update - the GM area tech came by and looked at the car; he told Doris he felt we somehow damaged the trim pieces - even though you could point out areas untouched by washing yet they also were damaged.

Doris had the service manager pull our file and showed the area tech just how many problems we had with the car, including the fact it was in the shop for its third re-paint. After thumbing through our two inch thick file and reviewing their data base he admitted it seemed "excessive".

The area tech position as I see it must be a demotion or a position given to the guy who screws up the most, since this one had a hard time even beginning to understand some of the previous issues, such as a clock function of the radio which refuses to stay set. Every time you get in the car it is incorrect, off by hours sometimes. His answer - "Yea, that's pretty common, when they come in for service the guys sometimes cut power and the clock will need to be re-set"???????? What??????

And they want us to bail their butts out????

Doris and I decided the next issue = we will give it back to GM.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom