Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Rusty Rotors

thumper

My XLR/V(s)
2008 XLR-V
Hello everyone. I'm a new member of this forum.
I just picked up my 08 XLR-V a couple of weeks ago.
I absolutely LOVE the car.
I tried to find one here in Canada but I had no luck. I finally had to import one from California. It's in showroom condition, inside, outside, under the car and under the hood.

The only problem with it is the unsightly rust on the rotors.

I am not talking about rust in the area swept by the brake pads. I'm talking about the outer edge where the fins are and the inner "tophat".

I suspect the previous owner had the discs replaced with the cheapest ones he could get in order to pass the safety inspection.

Has anyone else had this problem? I did a search of the forum but couldn't find anything.

What should I do? Replacing with new plated rotors is expensive. I don't know if I could paint them with high temp paint.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Believe it or not, they are probably the original rotors. The '06-V I bought was the same way and I had the dealer change them out before I purchased the car. I've had the car 4 years now and they are holding up quite well. You should be able to find someone to clean them up and have them recoated.

Good luck and congrats on your purchase.

The unsightly rust can be covered with a high temp paint like said, or go on eBay type in c6 corvette brakes and their are chrome covers that cover the lug area you are talking about.they cost 150.00. Happy driving!

Personally I would clean up the rust (it is only surface rust) and paint them carefully: either satin/flat gray or satin/flat clear but be careful you don't get paint on the 'braking' portion as that could load up your brake pads. ;)

So: a fellow Canadian :worship: where do you live?

I would go with the zinc plated rotors. I bought mine on eBay for $240 including ceramic pads. I had a local shop install them. They are drilled and slotted also and really look great. They have been on the car about a year and a half and still look new. Plus, I have all new brakes on the car and the xlr rotors are prone to warping, the drilled and slotted discs eliminate that so I don't have to worry about them.

I would go with the zinc plated rotors. I bought mine on eBay for $240 including ceramic pads. I had a local shop install them. They are drilled and slotted also and really look great. They have been on the car about a year and a half and still look new. Plus, I have all new brakes on the car and the xlr rotors are prone to warping, the drilled and slotted discs eliminate that so I don't have to worry about them.

I did the same, Dave - mine about about a year and half old too and the black is still looking good around the base of the rotors. Also, I also like how the drilled/slotted rotors look on the car. :rocker:

Thanks to everyone that replied or pm'ed me.
I think I'd like to go with new drilled/slotted/plated rotors but I'm having trouble finding any.
There's lots out there for the XLR but not many for the XLR-V.

I found some on ebay ranging in price from $300 to $800 for set of 4 with pads but most suppliers won't ship to Canada. I'm also a little sceptical on the quality.

Can anyone recommend a manufacturer for 2008 V rotors? What's been your experience with them?

I understand that the V's used the same rotors as some models of Corvette. What year and model vettes were they used on? Maybe I should be searching for vette rotors.

Thumper your right you can use vette brakes any year that is a c6 platform. Check the overall diameter of your rotors. I have a reg. Xlr and am upgrading my setup to a z51 package which allows a 13.4 in the front and a 13 in the back. It consist of a caliper bracket that brings the caliper out a little to accept the larger rotors. I don't know if the rotors are bigger on the v I believe so. If you start cross referencing numbers on eBay for rotors from a vette to a xlr with AC delco numbers their the same. Good luck.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom