Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! She Died :(

majik755

:dunno: Well walked out to my car and there is no life, door won't open, trunk won't open. Luckily I left the windows open because she's garaged, so I manually opened the door and tried accessory mode, start, lights...nothing. I'm thinking/hoping battery, I bought the car preowned and not sure if it's the original. Any other ideas, or confirmation of my theory. I'm heading out later for a trickle charger to see if it allows me to get any sign of life out of her.

:dunno: Well walked out to my car and there is no life, door won't open, trunk won't open. Luckily I left the windows open because she's garaged, so I manually opened the door and tried accessory mode, start, lights...nothing. I'm thinking/hoping battery, I bought the car preowned and not sure if it's the original. Any other ideas, or confirmation of my theory. I'm heading out later for a trickle charger to see if it allows me to get any sign of life out of her.

Hmmmm, yep .... probably the battery .... they're very small .... lot's of stuff to remember for a new owner .... do not put your top up or down without the engine running .... no radio playing on accessory mode ..... drive your car a lot to keep that battery charged .... if it sits for about a week, the onboard computers start draining it .... look in the history at past threads, you will see how to tend to that battery. When we first got Lola I was so enthralled with showing off the top up/down feature that I wore down the battery after about 5 times .... BTW - I have had 3 new batteries.

Hmmmm, yep .... probably the battery .... they're very small .... lot's of stuff to remember for a new owner .... do not put your top up or down without the engine running .... no radio playing on accessory mode ..... drive your car a lot to keep that battery charged .... if it sits for about a week, the onboard computers start draining it .... look in the history at past threads, you will see how to tend to that battery. When we first got Lola I was so enthralled with showing off the top up/down feature that I wore down the battery after about 5 times .... BTW - I have had 3 new batteries.

Good advice RA.

Is it possible to upgrade to a bigger battery?:cool:

there is nothing to worry about .. i assume its battery issue
hopefully get fixed soon :)

Resuscitation Underway - May she live long

Thanks for the replies. I hooked it up the trickle charger and the displays showed the battery at approximately 3% 5. 7 volts, as soon as the charger was turned on the underhood light went on. Battery seems the likely culprit. Guess its time to start looking for a better battery, not sure how old the existing one is, but based on this, replacement seems like the wisest and best option. Any suggestions?

I also struggle to keep mine charged... I also ended up buying a trickle charger for those times it sits more than a week...

Thanks all

Thanks again for all the input. New battery installed ans she's alive! Reindexed windows, everything looks fine except that 3 of the 4 Tire monitors are reading zero. Breathing again.

:dunno: Note to all, two of the three places I went for a battery tried to sell me the wrong size/class according to their computers. Costco online tried to get me to a class 25 (way to tall) and Pep Boys had the XLR listed as a class 90, reversed terminals but could have fit. The old battery was an AC Delco class 86 and I bought a new Bosch battery class 86, perfect fit.

Go take a drive, the TPM's should reset themselves.
Thanks again for all the input. New battery installed ans she's alive! Reindexed windows, everything looks fine except that 3 of the 4 Tire monitors are reading zero. Breathing again.

:dunno: Note to all, two of the three places I went for a battery tried to sell me the wrong size/class according to their computers. Costco online tried to get me to a class 25 (way to tall) and Pep Boys had the XLR listed as a class 90, reversed terminals but could have fit. The old battery was an AC Delco class 86 and I bought a new Bosch battery class 86, perfect fit.

Was there an obvious upgrade option for a possible higher capacity battery?

Bobo, thanks, any excuse for a drive, took your advice and everything's reading properly now.

Richard, no all the other batteries were is different physical size or terminal placement was wrong. After going through this experience I realize there is no room for changes in this car, the battery fits like a glove in the corner of the engine compartment, nothing else would have fit. Would be nice if a larger capacity battery would have fit...

Thanks again for the support, glad to have my drive back.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom