Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Important! shifter assembly

rockyrhoads

Seasoned Member
My 2006 V needs a new shifter and like my headlight(R) it is backordered and not available in the US or Canada. finding some reference to a couple of solenoids any body know about a fix instead of replace? Am getting tired of disconnecting the battery to put her to sleep.

Rocky

Hard to tell what your issue is with so little symptom elaboration information to go on; the following may or may not be applicable to your situation.

If it's the Shift Lock Control Solenoid that's bad, you can bypass it mechanically under the trim plate by lifting the latch pawl that the solenoid moves. It ensures the transmission shift lever can't move from Park until the brake switch is depressed. If it fails, the vehicle will not start. You can hear/feel the solenoid throw when the brake pedal is depressed and the ignition switch is enabled.

This is very easy to bypass until you can obtain a part -used or otherwise. You just have to be aware of its operation safety-wise. The transmission can be inadvertently shifted out of Park when the vehicle is running without your foot on the brake.

CC :wave:

Last edited:
Hard to tell what your issue is with so little symptom elaboration information to go on; the following may or may not be applicable to your situation.

If it's the Shift Lock Control Solenoid that's bad, you can bypass it mechanically under the trim plate by lifting the latch pawl that the solenoid moves. It ensures the transmission shift lever can't move from Park until the brake switch is depressed. If it fails, the vehicle will not start. You can hear/feel the solenoid throw when the brake pedal is depressed and the ignition switch is enabled.

This is very easy to bypass until you can obtain a part -used or otherwise. You just have to be aware of its operation safety-wise. The transmission can be inadvertently shifted out of Park when the vehicle is running without your foot on the brake.

CC :wave:
sorry ...heres the play by play. When I stop and shift to park the trans locks in park but the dash says shift to park. this stops the electronics from going to sleep and the battery will discharge over night. It also will not let me put the top down(thinks I'm in gear). So next day I have to connect the battery and leave the fob on the hood for about 20 min. and then everything is roses and sunshine till a couple of drive cycles and so on.The brake pedal release is working fine and the dealer says replace the shifter but GM has it backordered forever and so on. thought maybe someone had a similar experience . Thought of the neutral safety switch dealer said it was inside the trans ???

Is the problem throwing codes? Go to an auto parts store and have them pull up codes, if any. If you know someone who has access to a TechII can do it.

shifter

I own a shop codes all lead to the shifter. I cannot find one in the US or Canada. The dealer had it for 2 weeks and I had to call about it to be told oh yea it's the shifter they said it was available(LOL) going to pick it up tomorrow another week and counting. I will probably tear it apart to see what makes it tick.

Rocky

Shifter assemblyg

Rocky
lm just going to throw a suggestion out there. If they are saying the neutral safety is in the tranny could it just be your shift cable some how. I think it would not be difficult to see if pulling on the shift cable or the tranny linkage arm puts the shift to park warning off. Just a thought?
Bob:dunno:

well it seems that GM released a few shifters so if someone else needs one better get it soon....in the meantime I have studied the old shifter and the only parts that could fail(other than a catastrophic failure) is two solenoids will get back after some testing and see if I can get the solenoids to repair it. But now the top is dead fuse good no motion ......just gonna drive it this weekend and enjoy to hot for the top down here in TEXAS anyway. Is there a meet in bowling green this year?

Rocky
We'll be in SA the end of the month. Wanta meet up? From 29th through 31st. Staying at the Menger. Buy you a drink at the Roosevelt bar?

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom