Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! starting this project

wrecks

I found one that got hit from behind for 2K and one without a real bad frontal would be lovely
Rocky.........email Floyd and ask him for the Vin #, All wrecking yards are on a nationwide list of totaled vehicles, you just have to call one of your local wrecking yards, give them the Vin and ask them to do a car locating for you:blinzel:. Then you contact that yard and ask for their price delivered to you. But you better hurry before the birds pick it apart.
Bob

2K vehicle

That's a good buy, I suggest if your replacing the rear bumper that you buy the 09, I think it has a little more class then the diaper group from 04. I always thought that bumper looked like a diaper.
:laugh:
I found one that got hit from behind for 2K and one without a real bad frontal would be lovely

That's a good buy, I suggest if your replacing the rear bumper that you buy the 09, I think it has a little more class then the diaper group from 04. I always thought that bumper looked like a diaper.
:laugh:
have found quite a few listed as salvage titles but would have to go put hands on to verify chassis damage. Mine did have minor kink that was not even noticeable when repaired and no suspension damage save the R/F shock . I does make quite a difference as to whether it is repairable within budget. I think that since they are hard to find that even a rebuilt title would be sellable if documentation is in order

one more delay

well not getting her back till tomorrow seems as though the last connector was ordered wrong ,replacement on the way to complete programing. Sure will be nice to hear it start up again. spending today filling out paperwork for texas DPS to have title reinstated:rolleyes:

update

got her back and all electronics are working. put it back on the frame jig to adjust the hood..right side was kinked a little at the hinge will get some pics and upload next week ROCKY

update

cannot believe all the little parts to put this front end together. just ordered front and rear wheelhouse close outs and all the screws and clips to hold it together..will arrive Monday. Finished the fiberglass repair on hood,door and the rail on the bottom of the r door. ordered new wheels in black chrome and sent the old ones off to be stripped and rechromed will see which ones I like better and offer the others for sale. Hope to be ready for paint by weeks end,, decided to finish with oem black and final with a sky blue pearl for color change effect. ROCKY

cannot believe all the little parts to put this front end together. just ordered front and rear wheelhouse close outs and all the screws and clips to hold it together..will arrive Monday. Finished the fiberglass repair on hood,door and the rail on the bottom of the r door. ordered new wheels in black chrome and sent the old ones off to be stripped and rechromed will see which ones I like better and offer the others for sale. Hope to be ready for paint by weeks end,, decided to finish with oem black and final with a sky blue pearl for color change effect. ROCKY

Sounds like real progress, Rocky. We need pic's, guy. :wave:

Tim

Yea, a few have asked for pics but none where forth coming. I would like to know how many $$$$'s are in the total cost when he is done. I bet he wouldn't want to try and get his money out of this project by taking it to Barrett Jackson. Probably wouldn't meet his reserve.:dunno: just sayin.
Sounds like real progress, Rocky. We need pic's, guy. :wave:

Tim

Sounds like it will be a neat ride when you're done!

cost

Yea, a few have asked for pics but none where forth coming. I would like to know how many $$$$'s are in the total cost when he is done. I bet he wouldn't want to try and get his money out of this project by taking it to Barrett Jackson. Probably wouldn't meet his reserve.:dunno: just sayin.
not that bad standby..as of right now I have $19,500 and why would I ever take it to an auction:(

pics

so far everything that has been done does not appear to be much. The chassi work is not noticeable as was the electronics programing. I will take pics of the RF electronics placement on the wheelhouse and the fiberglass repairs just so you can see how it is progressing and post Monday evening. the real progress will be coming next. As was suggested I am clamping the wheelhouse in place an fitting the RF fender first and then taking the fender off to inject the structural adhesive. This is necessary to get the proper fender placement and alignment with the hood

so far everything that has been done does not appear to be much. The chassi work is not noticeable as was the electronics programing. I will take pics of the RF electronics placement on the wheelhouse and the fiberglass repairs just so you can see how it is progressing and post Monday evening. the real progress will be coming next. As was suggested I am clamping the wheelhouse in place an fitting the RF fender first and then taking the fender off to inject the structural adhesive. This is necessary to get the proper fender placement and alignment with the hood

Make sure you don't take the wheelhouse back off, just inject the structural adhesive wherever you see a gap...

I don't know, but maybe eventually you will. Guess you bought this unit pretty cheap and had no idea. Id' take my 06-V to the auction and probably would buy it myself.:laugh:
Best pic of 06-V.jpgThis was taken 6 years ago and it still doesn't have a ding anywhere on it. If you didn't look underneath, which most people don't, most people think it's brand new and floored when I tell them it's an 06 and then they want to know how much if I were to sell it. $70,000 I say. "Oh, guess you really don't want to sell it!". Very astute, I say. This first person stuff has to stop.:( Think I'll take a selfie.

rockyrhoads;51110]not that bad standby..as of right now I have $19,500 and why would I ever take it to an auction:([/QUOTE]

Hey Rob, is that the same stuff I use to caulk my tub?:laugh:

Hey... first I thought you were talking to Rob, the site administrator. No offense taken, but, my name is Rod.
And it may be close, but it's somewhat stronger. I suppose you COULD use it, but you had better be quick. I dries rock hard in about 5 minutes... and stays that way. Not flexible at all.

not that bad standby..as of right now I have $19,500 and why would I ever take it to an auction:(

Not to worry!
After all is said and done it should be LOVE at first site/drive and keep forever! So you will end up keeping her anyways!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
" 05 GRAND DADDY"

Ay yes, the older I get the worse my typing gets, I was thinking about a buddy of mine named Rob while typing this post.
I was on PCH at the beach on the 4th of July in 06 and stopped at a light. While watching two chicks in string bikinis on the other side of the street I wasn't paying attention to my foot on the brake and next thing I found myself planted in an airport luggage vans bumper. The reason I mention this is because it was the first time any auto repair found out Cadillac was using a space age glue to attach the fender to the rail. It took two days before they figured out how to get it off with an impact gun. Hope your feeling much better.:wave:

Hey... first I thought you were talking to Rob, the site administrator. No offense taken, but, my name is Rod.
And it may be close, but it's somewhat stronger. I suppose you COULD use it, but you had better be quick. I dries rock hard in about 5 minutes... and stays that way. Not flexible at all.

progress pics

IMG_20140110_113233_0.jpgIMG_20140110_113258_0.jpgIMG_20140110_113307_0.jpgIMG_20140110_113437_0.jpgIMG_20140110_113225_0.jpgpic 1 is the RF wheelhouse with electronics attached and clamped in place. 2 is the fiberglass repair to the hood also had to repair the strut mount under the hood. I tried to find a V hood to no evail but the repair was not that bad. 3 is the LF wheelhouse clamped into place. 4 is a better shot of the RF wheelhouse and 5 is the fiberglass repair to the RF door but does not show repair to the hinge area that was cracked and allowed the door to drop about 1 inch when opened that would have been an expensive replacement so I am glad that I was able to repair it. Waiting for a fastener order from GM to finish aligning the front fenders so the adhesive can be applied. GM dealer referred me to a local auto paint store for the adhesive and special applicator gun made by 3M. ROCKY:wave:

how did this happen?

Sorry don't know how I started a new thread maybe the site administrator can shuffle this around
View attachment 3610View attachment 3611View attachment 3612View attachment 3613View attachment 3609pic 1 is the RF wheelhouse with electronics attached and clamped in place. 2 is the fiberglass repair to the hood also had to repair the strut mount under the hood. I tried to find a V hood to no evail but the repair was not that bad. 3 is the LF wheelhouse clamped into place. 4 is a better shot of the RF wheelhouse and 5 is the fiberglass repair to the RF door but does not show repair to the hinge area that was cracked and allowed the door to drop about 1 inch when opened that would have been an expensive replacement so I am glad that I was able to repair it. Waiting for a fastener order from GM to finish aligning the front fenders so the adhesive can be applied. GM dealer referred me to a local auto paint store for the adhesive and special applicator gun made by 3M. ROCKY:wave:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom