Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! starting this project

rockyrhoads

Seasoned Member
just bought a 06 v series out of Brooklyn, unit 2156, and have located all the body parts for the restoration. the car is being shipped as we speak. This car has a salvage title but no bags deployed. the scuffle destroyed both front fenders, nose cone and all the lights, the upper grill remained in place and who knows how a hole got blown out of the top of the right rear fender. Will not know if any support pieces have been damaged until it arrives. I am a disabled vet living in san Antonio Texas. This is a car I have always wanted and wonder if any one has any input on this project....trouble spots, assembly advice ect. Rocky:wave:

Contact mtrocket on this site. He is an auto body repairman and repaired his '07 a few years ago. He may not respond right away, he is currently going through rehab from a fire at his shop, but he most certainly can give you some tips.

just bought a 06 v series out of Brooklyn, unit 2156, and have located all the body parts for the restoration. the car is being shipped as we speak. This car has a salvage title but no bags deployed. the scuffle destroyed both front fenders, nose cone and all the lights, the upper grill remained in place and who knows how a hole got blown out of the top of the right rear fender. Will not know if any support pieces have been damaged until it arrives. I am a disabled vet living in san Antonio Texas. This is a car I have always wanted and wonder if any one has any input on this project....trouble spots, assembly advice ect. Rocky:wave:

Hi Rocky, that's a big project!! good luck with it and this is the site for the info. you'll need. :)

I'm sure that many here would enjoy seeing pictures of this project!

Please post pictures of your progress.

thanks

Hey Rocky,
I just sent you a PM.
Rod

thanks rod and cubby...I will probably sponge rods mind a lot..LOL. Have been restoring classics for a while although mots have been of the 3 wires and a carb variety. 40 ford..73 f250 stepside...76 911s slopenose...sold my 02 escalade and bought a 2013 SRX and sold my dodge dually and kept the 73 f150. Drove in the Allison Legacy stock car series and stll have 2 of those I am trying to sell. my garage is very full and looking forward to this new venture. I don't think there is much damage to the rest of the car. The hood is still in place and latches and sits nice and square and supposed to run and drive like a dream..we will see. I will post some pics as soon as the raven lands ROCKY

Welcome to the forum and the best of luck on your project. :cool:

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

headlights

I have looked at numerous used headlights and found all to have the same fault. the upper inside lens(amber chamber) seems to have fogged on all. Is this a common problem, is there a fix or repair to clear the lens? ROCKY

PHP:
I have looked at numerous used headlights and found all to have the same fault. the upper inside lens(amber chamber) seems to have fogged on all. Is this a common problem, is there a fix or repair to clear the lens? ROCKY
it's a common flaw in 2004/2005 XLR's. '06 and up use a different headlight... Don't have this melted DRL issue. Good luck in your search.

thanks dave

it's a common flaw in 2004/2005 XLR's. '06 and up use a different headlight... Don't have this melted DRL issue. Good luck in your search.
well I guess I have to sped the big bucks to get it right. no sense in putting up with the blemish if I don't have to. The local dealer wants $1306 each for new ...anyone know a chaper place to get new ones?

Try gmpartsdirect.com

well I guess I have to sped the big bucks to get it right. no sense in putting up with the blemish if I don't have to. The local dealer wants $1306 each for new ...anyone know a chaper place to get new ones?

Sounds like a great project. Since one of the rear fenders is blown out, you might consider calling D3 and see if they still have the molds for their wide-body kit. Would be an awesome stance for your build.

969457_532662493437127_542569395_n.jpg

Get me the VIN & I can check my cost on these parts.
Rod

Check ebay you'll see a lot of melted ones but their are some brand new ones if I recall they were in the 600 dollar range. Good luck with your rebuild.

I don't guess this would be option for you because your doing a whole wrecked rebuild unless you wait until your completely done with it!.
I had taken my 05 to a local Cadillac dealer and I imagine they wanted my future repair business, because they replace both for just the labor cost of 500$ for me! I also may of just got lucky!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Thanks Dan

I don't guess this would be option for you because your doing a whole wrecked rebuild unless you wait until your completely done with it!.
I had taken my 05 to a local Cadillac dealer and I imagine they wanted my future repair business, because they replace both for just the labor cost of 500$ for me! I also may of just got lucky!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Thanks Dan

The problem I've found with that, Dan, is once a vehicle has been totaled, ALL OEM vehicle warranties are rendered null and void. Not sure about aftermarket warranties, however...

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom