Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Storage Compartment Issue

KCJ

My XLR/V(s)
2006 Base Model
Hello to all,

I have recently joined the XLR Forum and already have a question to pose. My baby is a 2006 Infrared Base with 30,000 miles. Purchased in April of 2018. In the grand scheme of things, my issue is pretty minor. Just annoying. Has anybody had a problem getting the button to pop out of the Upright Center Storage compartment so you can open it. This is the one between the seat backs. It has been working, but now will not pop out when I push on it. Again, not a major issue, but I do have some stuff in there I would like to get out without breaking the latch. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
KCJ

It's a weak link for sure. Mine came apart shortly after purchase 4 years ago. Fortunately, nothing was broke. I used some silicone grease on all the moving parts and haven't had a problem since

plus one for rexster .A little grease is about all you can do. when you push them, they do come out a little slow. There is friction ring i nthere to hold it. New lids pop up on ebay for about 125 from time to time .Someone posted one here for sale for less than 100 I think

Thanks rexster for the quick response. I would do the same with mine if I could ever get it to pop back out. I would hate to pry on the lid as I'm sure that would just break the latch mechanism. Did you come up with a trick to get the button on yours to pop out or did it just eventually happen on it's own.

Thanks,
KCJ

Hello Long Tall Sally,

Yes I have already considered a replacement lid. There are a few black ones out there unfortunately my interior is the stone color. Hopefully I can eventually get the button on mine to pop back out then I would try some silicon on it. But so far, it will not budge when I press on it.

I have a new one in shale if you are interested. Email me at cubby558@me.com and I’ll send pictures and particulars.

Cubby558

Hello Long Tall Sally,

Yes I have already considered a replacement lid. There are a few black ones out there unfortunately my interior is the stone color. Hopefully I can eventually get the button on mine to pop back out then I would try some silicon on it. But so far, it will not budge when I press on it.

The mechanism comes apart quite easily. I don't have the car (in the shop) to check how, but I've had it apart a couple of times. Take your time, lube it with silicone grease, and it'll be fine

there is not trick to oening it. make sure the lid is aligned and has not dropped doen or anything. Push on the lid cover as you push the button in the center it should click in to release it to gradually work its way out . you are not going to be able to pry it out if it does not click when you push it in. Might spray a little wd40 around the front of the button to work its way back. once open you can take the button off with just removing the big nut and oring hold it on I believe But then I do not believe you can take the actual latch apart without damage. you should not need to just lube her up as stated before

Thanks Long Tall Sally, I have tried slightly lifting up on the lid as I press the button but no effect. The button pushes in OK it just won't release to come out. I shot some WD-40 into it and am letting set for a while.

Thanks and stay tuned.

Hello Cubby558,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you. Thank you for the offer of you cover. The color "Shale" you have would be correct. I misspoke when I said mine was stone. I am still working on mine to get it working but running out of ideas. So I may be back to you soon to talk about the one you have for sale. Just curious, is it just the lid you have or the whole unit?

Thank you,
KCJ

Complete unit, four screws and it’s swapped out. Here are photos:

8C1E7B4E-C146-4D7B-9B26-54F89FAA7EBB.jpg EE24234B-52B8-400B-B253-B7E93FC5B0C8.jpg

$100 plus shipping.

Hello Cubby558,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you. Thank you for the offer of you cover. The color "Shale" you have would be correct. I misspoke when I said mine was stone. I am still working on mine to get it working but running out of ideas. So I may be back to you soon to talk about the one you have for sale. Just curious, is it just the lid you have or the whole unit?

Thank you,
KCJ

Hello to all,

I have recently joined the XLR Forum and already have a question to pose. My baby is a 2006 Infrared Base with 30,000 miles. Purchased in April of 2018. In the grand scheme of things, my issue is pretty minor. Just annoying. Has anybody had a problem getting the button to pop out of the Upright Center Storage compartment so you can open it. This is the one between the seat backs. It has been working, but now will not pop out when I push on it. Again, not a major issue, but I do have some stuff in there I would like to get out without breaking the latch. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
KCJ

Mine is glacier like slow in popping out so just leave it extended as the twist to open is quite quick and realistically not in the way. Just got tired of waiting for the button to open and I use the compartment every trip. You can pry the button out with a small thin flat blade screwdriver or letter opener, be sure to push in firmly first. Then once button is out rotate clockwise to operate the latch.
If you still have any problems I can make a video of the procedure. (Cadillac’s idea of classy. Soft touch slow opening compartment button)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine is glacier like slow in popping out so just leave it extended as the twist to open is quite quick and realistically not in the way. Just got tired of waiting for the button to open and I use the compartment every trip. You can pry the button out with a small thin flat blade screwdriver or letter opener, be sure to push in firmly first. Then once button is out rotate clockwise to operate the latch.
If you still have any problems I can make a video of the procedure. (Cadillac’s idea of classy. Soft touch slow opening compartment button)

Remove the button from the lid, spray down with a silicone spray. The workings are gummed up. Or, lay towels down all around to catch over spray and hit the button from the rear of the lid with the spray.

Welcome Aboard!

Welcome to The XLR Site. Great cars and better people. ;) Hope you got the center console storage issue sorted. Mine so far (knock on wood) is still working OK. So maybe something else in the future I may have to deal with?

Welcome To The XLR Site. :wave:

Remove the button from the lid, spray down with a silicone spray. The workings are gummed up. Or, lay towels down all around to catch over spray and hit the button from the rear of the lid with the spray.

When you say “remove,” do you mean release the button to its extended position, or is there a way to pop the whole button and latch from the cover?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When you say “remove,” do you mean release the button to its extended position, or is there a way to pop the whole button and latch from the cover?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The whole mechanism is held in place by a lock ring located on the back side of the door

people are telling you what to do after you get it open. they do not realize that the button will not release. the hinge has a couple of screws holding it on from the bottom. I am not sure but I believe they are also inside the compartment. If it does not relese when you push it in and you hear a click, you are most likely going to have to break it to get it open. The latch itself only comes with the comple lid so its a major blow to break it to get it open. Once open the latch itself is held on with a big nut but to get to the nut you have to pry apart the lid in half and it is held together with one time use clips from the factory and some are glued . Some people say theirs came apart with out breaking but I have seen 6 or more and they all break when you take them apart.

Well now I’m recently finding one repair after another. My glove box now won’t close. The other day I left the car outside because my building was getting pressure washed the next day. So to make sure the trunk wouldn’t open I flipped the valet switch. Then after my appointment I flipped the switch back so I could drop the top. That’s when the handle came loose. Now my visor cover for the mirror has come loose on one side. Guess that the car is telling me that she’s still mad at me for leaving her outside

the glove box door on the dash? if so the latches on them are known to break. They interchange with other caddies and can be found on ebay for around 35$ or so. sun visor mirror covers also break and some have clued the hinges back. I think there is an aftermarket cover someone makes or at least sun visors are pretty cheap also on ebay

Thanks I’ll look into this visor issue since I rarely use the mirror

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry