Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Transmission shifting issue

jjsea55

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Black Raven XLR-V, Shale interior
Last night I experienced my first "warning" issue with my '06 V. I returned to a parking garage after attending a football game and before exiting the building the Traction Control light and the Check Engine light illuminated. As I proceeded it appeared that my transmission was not wanting to shift properly and the starts from stops were somewhat strained and not brisk like usual.

Fortunately, I didn't have but a few miles to drive to my motel, but in post-game start/stop traffic. I toggled the console switch a couple of times and the Traction Control light went out, but the Check Engine light remained on steady. This morning I arose early and took her out for a check drive(we were 250 miles from home!) and she drove normally, but the CE light remained on. I called Onstar for a diagnostic and the guy said there was a history code from last night implying the tranny was "confused" about when to shift (I didn't get the code from him). He said to have it checked, but that if no further issues arose that the CE light would probably go out after a few engine start/stop cycles. That is exactly what happened when I stopped for gas on the way home.

Perfect trip home, thank goodness, but wondering if any of you had experienced something similar. It is a bit difficult for me to get the car to my dealer during the week, but I could drop it off one evening and have them check it out the next day. Thanks for input!

I have had my transmission act up on me a couple of times - pretty infrequently. It has not been consistent enough to justify bringing to a dealer. Unless it happens with more frequency, I would just keep an eye on it and if it happens again, see if you can narrow down any common denominators from last night's incident. Good luck, hope everything is OK and that the computer just had a brain-fart or something.
:rocker:

Are you still running with your original battery? Or has it been replaced yet?

I've heard of unusual behavior from our cars with weak batteries.

Yes, I've changed the battery a couple of months ago and it is strong. I'll driver her some this week to check her out... thinking and hoping temporary glitch (the old brain fart, as mentioned). Thanks for the replies!

My escalade did the same thing. It even felt like the tranny was slipping. It ended up being a rear wheel sensor for the ABS. I guess the computer thought the wheel was spinning and reduced power. New wheel sensor and its fixed now.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom