Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Transmission situation.

WHAT A DAMN DAY - - - -

i WAS DUMBSTRUCK THIS MORNING WHEN I FIRED UP RAVEN FOR THE 2ND TIME TODAY (05 XLR) AND WAS UNABLE TO SHIFT OUT OF PARK. I CALLED MY MECHANIC AND HE PROCESSED A TOW TRUCK TO MY HOME. THANK GOODNESS THE CAR WAS IN MY DRIVEWAY. MY NEXT STEP WAS TO GO ON THIS WONDERFUL SITE WHICH IS PERFECTLY CRAFTED, AND HUGELY INFORMATIVE. I SEARCHED THE PROBLEM AND CAME UP WITH BUKI'S ( APOLOGIZE IF MISSPELLED ) EXACT SAME PROBLEM. MEMBERS RESPONDED AND POINTED OUT IT WAS PROBABLY THE TRANNY CABLE, WHICH IT WAS. i WAS CONCERNED THE FLAT BED DRIVER WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO ROLL THE CAR TO THE LIFT SINCE WE WERE LOCKED UP. WHEN HE ARRIVED i EXPLAINED THE POSSIBLE PROBLEM , VIA XLR NET'S CONTRIBUTORS. HE ASKED ME TO POP THE HOOD SO HE MIGHT BE ABLE TO RELEASE THE TRANNY OUT OF GEAR. I DID AND THEN REMEMBERED TO TELL HIM IT COULD BE ACCESSED AT THE TRAN. UNDER THE REAR END. BEING A LARGE MAN LOOKING AT A LOW BACK END HE JACKED THE REAR UP AND WHEN HE GOT UNDER HE COULD SEE THE CABLE WAS DETACHED AND THE END PIN WAS BROKEN. HE MANEUVERED IT BACK IN PLACE WITH THE HOPE I COULD SHIFT INTO REVERSE , AND THEN DRIVE THE CAR IN MYSELF WITH THE IDEA I COULD AVOID $150 TOWING FEE. THE GUY WAS AWESOME AND I MUST CERTAINLY DOUBLE PAY THIS ONE FORWARD. THE CAR STARTED AND HE WAITED TO SEE IF I COULD THEN GET INTO DRIVE WITHOUT HIM HAVING TO RECONNECT IT AGAIN WHILE JACKED UP. I WAS ABLE TO SHIFT TO DRIVE AND WAS ON MY WAY TO SANTA MARIA A 30 MINUTE DRIVE FROM PISMO BEACH, AFTER PROFUSE THANKS AND A NICE TIP. SO I'M ON THE FREEWAY AND ONCE I HIT 65 I NOTICED THE FRONT HOOD BOUNCING. AWW SHUCKS (THAT'S NOT WHAT I REALLY SAID) I RECALL PULLING THE HOOD RELEASE BUT IN ALL THE EXCITEMENT NEVER LOCKED THE HOOD BACK DOWN. IMMEDIATELY PULLED OFF TO THE EMERGENCY LANE, SINCE I HAD ONE HOOD POP OPEN ON ME YEARS AGO, ( A LIL PORSCHE BATHTUB) AND IT WAS QUITE EXPENSIVE. AND I WASN'T ABOUT TO HAVE THAT HAPPEN AGAIN. SO I'M ON THE SIDE OF THE FREEWAY IN DRIVE AND THE XLR WILL NOT ALLOW ME TO PUT THE EMERGENCY BRAKE ON. IF I GO TO PARK I'M IN THE SAME PLACE I WAS THIS MORNING. MAYBE I CAN JUMP OUT REAL QUICK, RUN TO THE FRONT AND JUMP BACK IN REAL QUICK WHILE THE CAR WAS CREEPING FORWARD SLOWLY. NAH, THAT IDEA SCREAMED 6:00 NEWS AND BESIDES THAT WHILE IN DRIVE I COULDN'T RELEASE THE DOOR. WELL I COULD ALWAYS CLIMB OUT THE WINDOW REAL QUICK..NOT...
THEN I THOUGHT, ALRIGHT PUT ON THE EMERGENCY FLASHERS AND DRIVE SLOWLY IN THE RIGHT LANE ALL THE WAY TO SANTA MARIA, AND THEN I THOUGHT , BOY I SURE GOT UP ON THE STUPID SIDE OF THE BED TODAY. AND GEE WHY DIDN'T I THINK TO PEE BEFORE I SAID GOOD BYE TO THE TOW TRUCK DRIVER AND TOOK OFF. GEEEZZZ. DUH, I DROVE SLOWLY TO THE NEXT EXIT AND PULLED OFF INTO A BUSINESS WHERE I SAW A FEW LINGERER'S BY THERE TRUCK. UH EXCUSE ME " WOULD YOU BE KIND ENOUGH TO PUSH THE FRONT END OF MY HOOD DOWN IF I PROMISE NOT TO RUN YOU OVER". THE LOOK I RECEIVED COMPELLED ME TO GIVE A REASONABLE EXPLANATION FOR MY DILEMMA REGARDING THE EXQUISITE PIECE OF MECHANICAL ENGINEERING I WAS SOMEWHAT TEMPORARILY TRAPPED IN.... HAHAHA, I ARRIVED SAFELY AT THE MECHANICS AND BECAUSE OF ALL THE EXCELLENT INFO FROM THIS SITE I WAS ABLE TO EXPLAIN TO MY MECHANIC THE PROBLEM AND THE PART #. I'M GRATEFUL IT WASN'T MECHANICAL.. THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS TO THIS SITE. NEEDLESS TO SAY IT HAS BEEN A CRAZY DAY FOR ME, IT STARTED THIS MORNING 1ST THING WHEN I WAS AT MY THERAPY APPOINTMENT. MY THERAPIST TOLD ME MY NARCISSISM CAUSES ME TO MISREAD SOCIAL SITUATIONS, I'M PRETTY SURE SHE WAS HITTING ON ME.... THANKS FOR LISTENING, DAVID

HA HA great story - glad it worked out as it did. I think I'd have spent the afternoon in a bar!!:drink:

My 06 XLR V was at at Chev dealer to get a new battery. When I left the dealer I noticed that my check engine light was on. Then when driving away the trans shifted to 3rd and seemed to miss a gear, emitted a thud and then 3rd engaged. From there it would not shift, up or down. I stopped the car and shut off the engine. I restarted it and the transmission shifted normally. I returned to the dealer and they ran the codes. It showed P 2730 and P 0700. The suggested fix was a new trans module at a cost of $1,135. I declined and drove the car home after I had them clear the codes. The check engine light did not come back on and the trans is shifting just fine. Could the problem I experienced have been related to the battery replacement, as in an electrical issue or a computer glitch caused by the battery change, or should I dig into the trans?
The car has 42K and is a garage queen.
I posted on this thread because I couldn't figure out how to post a new thread.
Help would be much appreciated.

Yes these cars are very sensitive as we was taking along Saturday Drive back from a car show, the lighted massage came on and showed to check gas cap as we drove on kinda forgot about it as we was on a highway that was emergency stopping only when the message came on again later coming down a country road it started acting like it was running out of gas , so my wife said may you should check the gas cap, got out and turn it back on as it was lose! Got back in and it never did it after that it ran fine! Was that it??? I guess ran fine afterwards!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Dan: Thanks for the reply. In the meantime I spent some time on the Corvette forum and found that if a battery gets too low it has been known to effect the shifting module located in the transmission. It's as if the module looses its memory for shifting. Turning on and off the system, with a new battery, apparently restores the modules ability to shift. The method used by the dealer to keep the memory in radio presets, the seat presets, and all of the other electric presets in today's electronic cars just isn't sufficient too deal with the needs of the module in the trans. My car is shifting just fine now and the check engine light has not returned. I hope it stays that way.
Elliot

stole this from the corvette forums, i bet it works for us too.
common problem for auto trans corvettes
plastic bushing inside cable end disintegrates, either at shifter or at trannny.
bushing can be replaced!!
common kit mentioned on C5 and C6 repairs
dorman 14041 $6 at autozone
use 2nd smallest bushing
403 - Forbidden

at corvette forum was some discrepancy if same bushing worked on both shifter end AND tranny end, most said it absolutely does.
someone with a new cable in hand could confirm if kit bushing looks similar to whats in both cable ends...

from the c5 section
Automatic Shifter Failure - Page 4 - Corvette Forum

and the c6
c6 shifter linkage problem resolved. - Corvette Forum

some mentioned an oversized stud kit for the tranny side
a simple replacement kit for $21 from here
this one is for the c5 , i bet it fits, i will email the company... update there kit is only for the c5.
ours is actually similar to the c6. they dont have a c6 kit. not compatible, maybe have to drill it out or something.
92-05 Corvette 4L60E Shifter Cable Repair Pin | ATF Speed.com

Thanks very much for posting this info - we bought the Dorman grommets & are going to try to do preventative maintenance on the V & see if we can switch out just the grommet. Cable went on the base when it was 6 years old, the V is 8 so we're probably on borrowed time.

Help! Transmission situation

XLRRATING
Please let us know how this works out with the Dorman kit. If you determine it is a fix and which grommet fits the V there should be one in every glove box!!
V Happy:wave::wave:

XLRRATING
Please let us know how this works out with the Dorman kit. If you determine it is a fix and which grommet fits the V there should be one in every glove box!!
V Happy:wave::wave:

Sure will - not sure when we're taking this on but will report back when we give it a shot.

Thanks for the pic helpful. Now on the trans lever is there a round stud that the clip attaches too,or is there a ball stud ? Maybe ill jack mine up and see for myself. Then I can see the condition of mine.
Just from the pictures looks like the white bushing probably dry rotted,cracked causing it to fall out. Then the black clip fell off the rod attachment on the trans lever. Not allowing the cable to shift anything. Need something to keep the larger black clip from coming off the lever even if the white one breaks. Ill post when I get a chance to look at mine and see what's going on.

This type fastener worked on my Jeep - - clipped onto the stud that goes thru the plastic clip. Available and most any Ace Hdwe.

Axle Cap Nuts - ABCOR FASTENERS INC.

I had to get under Roxy today so while I her jacked up I decided to search for the shifter cable. Here's a few pictures, it looks good so itmay of been change before I bought her, would seem little odd as there was only 53k in 2011 ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444172688.019421.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1444172703.636037.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1444172773.658644.jpg
I was thinking about spray it with silicon or something to help preserve it. Any recommendations?

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Last edited:
I had to get under Roxy today so while I her jacked up I decided to search for the shifter cable. Here's a few pictures, it looks good so itmay of been change before I bought her, would seem little odd as there was only 53k in 2011View attachment 5849View attachment 5850View attachment 5851
I was thinking about spray it with silicon or something to help preserve it. Any recommendations?

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

As I said earlier, this setup is very similar to a Jeep Wrangler - I had the exact same problem. I don't see why you couldn't replace these as well with a metal or nylon bushing and an axle cap (see link below) which would prevent the cable from slipping off the shift lever if the bushing failed.

~http://www.abcorfasteners.com/axle-cap-nuts.html

Below link is for bushings I bought for the Jeep - look identical to what's in the photos above - $3.00 each

ImageItemQtySubtotal
prod-image.php
MOPAR Transfer Case Shift Cable Bushing
Part# 68064273AB
6$17.94

<thead id="yui_3_16_0_1_1444172533057_13794">
</thead><tbody id="yui_3_16_0_1_1444172533057_13752">
</tbody>

Last edited:
As I said earlier, this setup is very similar to a Jeep Wrangler - I had the exact same problem. I don't see why you couldn't replace these as well with a metal or nylon bushing and an axle cap (see link below) which would prevent the cable from slipping off the shift lever if the bushing failed.

~http://www.abcorfasteners.com/axle-cap-nuts.html

Below link is for bushings I bought for the Jeep - look identical to what's in the photos above - $3.00 each

ImageItemQtySubtotal
prod-image.php
MOPAR Transfer Case Shift Cable Bushing
Part# 68064273AB
6$17.94

<thead id="yui_3_16_0_1_1444172533057_13794">
</thead><tbody id="yui_3_16_0_1_1444172533057_13752">
</tbody>

First question where did you buy them at $3 a piece?
Second question is you said about using the axle caps. Would you have to take a snipper pliers and cut off the little plastic peace that looks like suitcase handle used like a pulltab finger handle to remove, cut that off then you can apply the axle cap here where the pulltab is?

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

SHIFT CABLE BUSHINGS

First question where did you buy them at $3 a piece?
Second question is you said about using the axle caps. Would you have to take a snipper pliers and cut off the little plastic peace that looks like suitcase handle used like a pulltab finger handle to remove, cut that off then you can apply the axle cap here where the pulltab is?
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Source for the Jeep bushings (you'll need to check to make sure the size is same on XLR) is: Morris 4x4 Center - SearchMorris 4x4 Center - Results for shift cable bushings

Yes, I snipped the "handle" looking piece off and put on the axle cap noted in earlier post above.

So does anyone have a definitive answer if the Dorman 14041 bushings work on our shift linkage? I ordered 2 of them in case they were the same size on each end of the shift lever cable. As a safety measure, I also ordered the GM shift lever cable just in case. First choice is to see if the bushings work and if not on goes the new shift cable. Weather has been crap last couple of days. Parts will start coming in tomorrow so Friday will tell the tale.

I have the shifter cable here, but just been very busy and had not had a chance to get the little plastic parts and check.
BTW this shifter cable is about 3 ft. long!!! So where I order it from they put it in 2 cardboard mail boxes taped together in the center to ship by regular mail it was to long to ship at the $9 shipping they charged to ship (so they wanted $30 shipping from GMPartsdirect.com and 55 for the cable = $85 total) anyway it was still cheaper because it was 51 +9+ the extra $11 = $71 total, because the way they shipped the boxes!

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Last edited:
We have not yet tried out the Dorman parts yet, the V just spent a bunch of time in the shop for something else (most of the length of time was due to a warranty co. flap), so we have not gotten involved with the tranny.

I got the Dorman stuff this afternoon, no time to look underneath today, will look at it tomorrow to see if that is the problem. Crossing my fingers............

I got the Dorman stuff this afternoon, no time to look underneath today, will look at it tomorrow to see if that is the problem. Crossing my fingers............

I'd sure consider trying to use an axle cap once you install the new bushings - - - should prevent the cable from slipping off next time the bushing wears out.

Transmission shift shaft

shift linkage part #12569499 fits 04-05 year models if your dealership can find one. Quick research says it can be shifted at the tranny from the rear under the car. Here is a thread from several yrs back on another forum that a couple active members from here were responding too over there back then:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-xlr-forum/210295-05-xlr-stuck-drive.html

ccclark or qizmo have anything to add?

Could someone tell me which side the shift linkage is on the transmission before I crawl under the xlr. Driver or Passanger? Also is the shaft exposed or do I have to remove any cover to expose it?

I'd sure consider trying to use an axle cap once you install the new bushings - - - should prevent the cable from slipping off next time the bushing wears out.

Update on the linkage: Took the car in to my shop. Had the Dorman bushing kit but also had purchased the replacement cable just in case. Bushings on shifter end and on the transmission end were both gone so mechanic replaced the shift cable. I had printed out replacement instructions from my account on Chilton's and he had the adjustment down pat. No slop or slack. I figure if the original lasted almost 10 years, I won't have to worry about it again.

Could someone tell me which side the shift linkage is on the transmission before I crawl under the xlr. Driver or Passanger? Also is the shaft exposed or do I have to remove any cover to expose it?

Cable runs from shift lever to left (driver side) of transmission. You have to remove the H pipe (exhaust) and closeout panel to get to shift lever connection point. I can put up a pdf file on how to do it if you want. I let my shop mechanic do it after I looked at it.

transmission

Cable runs from shift lever to left (driver side) of transmission. You have to remove the H pipe (exhaust) and closeout panel to get to shift lever connection point. I can put up a pdf file on how to do it if you want. I let my shop mechanic do it after I looked at it.

Thanks, I'm not going to do anything right now. I purchased the bushing if I need to replace down the road. I may call on you to put up the pdf then.

David J

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back