Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Trunk Issue that seems to be tied to the Convertible Top

greytiger201

My XLR/V(s)
2004 Crimson Red XLR (Saint)
So we just bought this XLR in January and I am so excited to have it! Even though it has never been in an accident according to the CarFax, my dad and I have noticed one issue. The trunk seems to stick and not want to open, as if the pump or hydraulic lift is not working, but we are unsure if it is a sensor or something more severe. The trunk will only open if it is completely lifted up and does not close automatically unless pushed half down first. We have tried the trunk button inside the trunk, under the steering wheel, and on the keys and checked to see if the valet trunk lock was on/off. This also seems to be tied to the top working. We can get the top to go down, the trunk lift is rather slow, but the button needs to be pumped 2 or 3 times to get the top to come back up. We even had to pop the trunk to get the mechanism to start working and put the top up. When the trunk appeared to be stuck the warning "TOP NOT SECURE" popped up on the dashboard. My dad and I would love to know if this is a sensor, fuse, or more serious issue. Thanks for your help/advice!

Sounds like a problem with the hydraulic pump to me. Could be low on fluid, in which case you would need to find the leak, or it could just be faulty. There is a valve on the side of it, make sure it is fully closed. This valve is used when the top needs to be raised or lowered manually. Some could have done this in the past and not fully closed the valve, which would cause the pump to not be able to produce full pressure thus making the top need assistance going up or down. There is a part in your owners manual that goes over this manual top process. The pump is in the left rear corner of the trunk area, you will see a panel on the floor that you will pop up to access this area.

here is a link to some info and pics of that area in the trunk - Does Anytone Really Understand the Roof Top Operation?

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom