Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Trunk latch

tyrone

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
06 red xlr
Anyone experience the trunk latch that holds the trunk lid down , not releasing all the way and the trunk lid not being able to raise ? The catch has a spring that will pull the lever back to clear the u bolt on the trunk lid and alittle wd40 is not freeing up the catch on a constant basis. The local dealer has never sold the latch and they want over $400.00 for the part. Thanks.

Mine failed last year on the PA trip. Luckily using the key in the bumper access, opened the trunk every time. Took it to the dealer when I returned home and it was replaced under my CPO warranty. The bill was over 1000.00 with their labor.

Anyone experience the trunk latch that holds the trunk lid down , not releasing all the way and the trunk lid not being able to raise ? The catch has a spring that will pull the lever back to clear the u bolt on the trunk lid and alittle wd40 is not freeing up the catch on a constant basis. The local dealer has never sold the latch and they want over $400.00 for the part. Thanks.

trunk latch

Mine failed last year on the PA trip. Luckily using the key in the bumper access, opened the trunk every time. Took it to the dealer when I returned home and it was replaced under my CPO warranty. The bill was over 1000.00 with their labor.

Did they tell you the latch piece failed and that was the piece they replaced? Thanks.

Yes (sort of, I took the latch out and put it back in). I cleaned the wiring connectors on the BCM and the latch. I suggest you try that first. Use proper contact cleaner (not WD-40).
The connector by the latch is revealed by taking the sill plate off. As I recall, removing the latch is not difficult at all. I disconnected the battery and removed and cleaned all the BCM connectors. Re-index the windows once you have reconnected the battery. The latch signal is badly described in the workshop manual. It is maintained as a 12V (or batt) signal (supplied by the latch unit) at all times, except the release command (from the BCM) drops it to ground. Again, going on my less than perfect memory, this is not what the manual describes, hence you must be very careful indeed in testing the latch signals because they are different from what you might expect and you could short out the BCM. If you do test the circuit, make sure you have a suitable series resistor.

Last edited:
trunk latch

I received my new trunk latch assembly from GM Parts Direct today. It cured my trunk raising problem. It closes now with the solid clunk like it did before. Opens without hanging up on the latch that didn`t get pulled out of the way. Good to go ..... and nows its raining.
icon9.gif

Is key switch electrical?

My key does not manually open the trunck. The key turns in the cylinder OK but the latch does not release. Does the key switch have an electrical connection to it, or is it straight mechanical?

Thanks

Thanks for the info.

The key latch in the rear bumper is strictly mechanical. It should unlatch the trunk, but the trunk will NOT go up. You have to lift it up manually.

This is the fail-safe method for getting into the car if your battery dies, so there is nothing electical involved.

Yes, I did know that you have to manually lift the trunk once it's released - just didn't know if the key switch was full mechanical. So now I guess I have to take it apart and see what's going on.
Thanks for the info.

If your battery is not dead, using the key will lift your trunk electrically. If the battery is dead you will have to lift the trunk manually. I know this because my latch malfunctioned last year in PA, but the key would open the trunk.

My key does not manually open the trunck. The key turns in the cylinder OK but the latch does not release. Does the key switch have an electrical connection to it, or is it straight mechanical?

Thanks

The key latch in the rear bumper is strictly mechanical. It should unlatch the trunk, but the trunk will NOT go up. You have to lift it up manually.

This is the fail-safe method for getting into the car if your battery dies, so there is nothing electical involved.

If your battery is not dead, using the key will lift your trunk electrically. If the battery is dead you will have to lift the trunk manually. I know this because my latch malfunctioned last year in PA, but the key would open the trunk.

On mine, even with a good battery the key only releases the latch, the trunk lid does NOT lift electrically. I have to lift it by brute force.

It works!

Yes, I did know that you have to manually lift the trunk once it's released - just didn't know if the key switch was full mechanical. So now I guess I have to take it apart and see what's going on.
Thanks for the info.
Checked out trunk key last night. Found the cable had unhooked from the latch. Re-connected it and worked great. Turned key and trunk opened automatically. Didn't have to buy anything. Thanks for everyone's input.

Rod,

You may have a problem then, or you didn't turn the key far enough. See below.

On mine, even with a good battery the key only releases the latch, the trunk lid does NOT lift electrically. I have to lift it by brute force.

Thanks for confirming my earlier statement, that the key does in fact open the trunk electrically and hydraulically.

Checked out trunk key last night. Found the cable had unhooked from the latch. Re-connected it and worked great. Turned key and trunk opened automatically. Didn't have to buy anything. Thanks for everyone's input.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom