Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Trunk operation

Stella

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004xlr
Have owned the car a little over two months now. Came across a weird situation hopefully somebody will clear up for me. Since purchased I've gone in the trunk handful of times and dropped the top twice. Went to drive yesterday had some bags to go in the trunk hit fob nothing, so I opened the door and tried the button on dash, nothing. Tried the same procedure a couple times, while started, nothing. Noticed that the red light on door was giving pulse flashes longer than the normal 3 or 1. Went to the rear popped the emergency access and used the manual key and the trunk opened. Went to the fob and the dash button nothing. About a week ago I read that the tumblers in the emergency key lock get seized up so I had went in their and lubed the lock with a syringe type of oil container. I swore that when I penetrated the little flap for the key on the lock the car made a faint beep noise. I hadn't thought anything about it till now of course. Anyway for the trunk I found the problem was the valet switch inside glove box was ON. What's weird is I never switched it to valet, and the car sits in the garage, locked and covered. I think I've been in the glove box now 3 times so I know I didn't switch it or accidentally. My only guess is that when you use the emergency key that it switches the car over to valet mode? Everything works fine now, just thought it was weird. Thought maybe it was the ghost of the previous owner being mad that he got rid of her. His loss my gain. If listening don't worry I'll take care of her!

I've had to use the emergency key once or twice, and never had the problem you experienced. The emergency key cylinder is just that... a cylinder that is mechanically hooked to the truck latch - nothing electric - so don't see how the valet switch would have moved by your use of the emergency key...

Yeh I don't know for sure that I heard the faint beep, but I swear I heard something?:confused: I didn't know if once u put key in that it would change settings on car. One good thing is my lock is now oiled up, I am aware of how to get in car now and I know how the valet switch works.:D thanks for all the help that you members give. greatly appreciated!:patriot:

Rod,

Actually there is an electrical connection, as you use this tumbler for programming key fobs. Don't remember the steps in my head, but I know it is in the manuals. I did it to program '08 fobs to my '06 V.

I'm sure it wouldn't move the valet switch in the glove box, though.

I've had to use the emergency key once or twice, and never had the problem you experienced. The emergency key cylinder is just that... a cylinder that is mechanically hooked to the truck latch - nothing electric - so don't see how the valet switch would have moved by your use of the emergency key...

Rod,

Actually there is an electrical connection, as you use this tumbler for programming key fobs. Don't remember the steps in my head, but I know it is in the manuals. I did it to program '08 fobs to my '06 V.

You are correct, Cubby - I did the same for my '08 FOB's. The process to get the car in "program" mode is to turn the key in the back bumper 5 times, quickly. So yes, I would assume there has to be some electronics going to the tumbler... but I doubt it would effect the valet sw.

I'm glad this came up as I had read and intended to go back there and lube the lock cylinder and had forgotten that piece of intended maint. I also bought 2 new fobs and need to go through that fob not present procedure to assign them to #1 and #2

Rod,

ChicagoDave said:
You are correct, Cubby - I did the same for my '08 FOB's. The process to get the car in "program" mode is to turn the key in the back bumper 5 times, quickly. So yes, I would assume there has to be some electronics going to the tumbler... but I doubt it would effect the valet sw.

Haven't had to program my fobs so didn't have the need for this, so didn't realize that. Thanks guys...

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom