Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Update on different DIC service messages

MarkSki

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 Thunder Grey XLR
I got the car back and it was fine for a week. Then I drove over a set of rail road tracks and up popped service everything. It's was taken back to the dealer and I watched them run a Tech 2 on the car while it was still runningaftergetting all of the messages and everything checked out ok. Its been at the dealers for two weeks now.

I found a service bulletin from 2010 that talked about electrical connection fretting, a tupe of corrosion that can be so small you would need a mag glass to see it. Dielectric grease applyed after cleaning the male and female connectors solves the problem. Vibration can cause the codes to go off and that's what I've been seeing if I were to hit a bump, manhole cover, ect.. I called the dealer and gave the service rep the service bul.. number and date. Hopefully they will look into this and see if my dic messages stop popping up. I'll send another update.

That what they found with my gas gauge it was nothing more the a connector shorting out cleaned and anti lubed it's been fine since they fixed it last year! Could very well be your problem!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Hello MarkSki,

I am sorry to hear of the vehicle concerns you've been experiencing. If you would like to further discuss your situation and keep me updated after you hear back from your dealership next, please feel free to reach out to me. I can be contacted via private message or by email at socialmedia@gm.com. I am more than happy to document your concerns and comments within our system and assist anyway that I can.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

This tech needs to learn how to use the computer or the phone,,,,,,

quote: " Its been at the dealers for two weeks now.

I found a service bulletin from 2010 that talked about electrical connection fretting, a tupe of corrosion that can be so small you would need a mag glass to see it. Dielectric grease applyed after cleaning the male and female connectors solves the problem."

Two weeks? And you provided the 'service bulletin for the cure?

I'd find a different dealership service department to work on my car....... unacceptable!

quote: " Its been at the dealers for two weeks now.

I found a service bulletin from 2010 that talked about electrical connection fretting, a tupe of corrosion that can be so small you would need a mag glass to see it. Dielectric grease applyed after cleaning the male and female connectors solves the problem."

Two weeks? And you provided the 'service bulletin for the cure?

I'd find a different dealership service department to work on my car....... unacceptable!

What other dealership uses a Tech 2 besides Caddy?

F
The grounding points on these cars have been an issue. Be sure they check them as well.

I was told they were checked the last time the car was in for these same messages which was the time before when they changed out the fitting at the end of the steering wheel for the stabilatrac.

GM, Opel, Saab, Isuzu, Holden. Different brands use different software.

Which are loaded on different cards inside the same Tech-2. A Tech-2 has two slots, so can hold two cards at once, (though I only have the one card for North American GM cars IIRC).

Where do you buy the Tech 2 from? I have read of some buying from eBay and another from a site on the web. The eBay prices are 1000. to $2000 per unit.

The web site was around $400 - $500.

What is the difference?

I'm stuck between an electric winch or the Tech 2 if they are both $500. Those last 2 to 3 feet winching my 25' Monterey is killing me.

Sure would like to wiin a lottery! :blinzel:

Thanks for the info people.

Where do you buy the Tech 2 from? I have read of some buying from eBay and another from a site on the web. The eBay prices are 1000. to $2000 per unit.

What is the difference?

I'm stuck between an electric winch or the Tech 2 if they are both $500. Those last 2 to 3 feet winching my 25' Monterey is killing me.

I bought my Chinese clone for $300 from Aliexpress. Had to put my own stickers on. It works just fine and looks just like ones costing thousands including branding.

Remember that many of the products marketed by US companies are made in China.

I bought my Chinese clone for $300 from Aliexpress. Had to put my own stickers on. It works just fine and looks just like ones costing thousands including branding.

Remember that many of the products marketed by US companies are made in China.

What company from that site? There are several selling the same thing at different prices. Some show 2 CD disks and others show up to 5 CDs. All are almost the same price after shipping costs. Some include shipping, others show a smaller price then add shipping.

After getting the Tech 2 do you need the service manuals to decode what the tech shows you? I'm like a newbe with all the questions. I hope I'm not hijacking someones thread.:D

OH....it's MY thread!!

Hello MarkSki,

I am sorry to hear of the vehicle concerns you've been experiencing. If you would like to further discuss your situation and keep me updated after you hear back from your dealership next, please feel free to reach out to me. I can be contacted via private message or by email at socialmedia@gm.com. I am more than happy to document your concerns and comments within our system and assist anyway that I can.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

Thanks Laura but William R. started one 71-1289709276 but I have not heard from him in a while.

What is the difference?

A authentic one has markings on the inner compartment door. I looked on CL and found one from a dealer 700 bucks,came with the candi module,everything. ALOT of dealers went under and they mysteriously disappear.
The knock offs probably will work for the couple times you'll use it. Like anything else you pay for what you get. Alittle different when a company sets a standard for their product made by a Chinese company vs a Chinese company trying to reengineer something and use inferior parts. Either it should be made in America "just saying"

What company from that site? There are several selling the same thing at different prices. Some show 2 CD disks and others show up to 5 CDs. All are almost the same price after shipping costs. Some include shipping, others show a smaller price then add shipping.

After getting the Tech 2 do you need the service manuals to decode what the tech shows you? I'm like a newbe with all the questions. I hope I'm not hijacking someones thread.:D

OH....it's MY thread!!

I got mine from Shenzhen Acartool Auto Electronics Co., Ltd. I'm not sure what is currently offered. I purchased mine in OCT2013. It took 8 days to arrive after order.

It looks, feels and acts just like the ones GM dealers used. Quality looks good and I have no reason to think it will work just a few times and fail. For all I know, Vetronix/Bosch had theirs made in China. The label says made in USA from foreign components on both. Yes, the ones the GM dealers use are made of foreign components :eek:

Remember the labels were loose in the box and I put them on the unit, in the USA. I do not think there is enough of a market for the Chinese to reverse engineer everything, including all the software and labels. I feel it is much more likely that the components are/were made at the same place in China and these are taking a different marketing path after being assembled in China with a MUCH lower price. Putting a couple of PCBs in a case and connecting a couple cables could be the extent of "assembled". Maybe just putting the labels on and inserting a memory card, like I did, could mean assembled :dunno:.

I would be more concerned about purchasing a used unit that may have been abused rather than a new one assembled in China. That's me, YMMV.

I've been satisfied with other items purchased directly from China before. You need to be very careful with the descriptions and assume nothing! Sometimes the items are on inferior quality other times not. There is a certain amount of risk, but in this case I was willing to take the risk considering the price. It would not surprise me that the exact same unit that can be purchased directly from China for a few hundred dollars is sold for thousands of dollars more in the US after passing thru a few hands and markups.

Mine came with the PCMCIA memory card for GM products, 1 CD (that I have never used), CANDI unit (needed on XLRs), and all the cable adapters needed across the board. The CD has additional TIS2000 software. The Tech2 is much more than a diagnostic reader. It can be used to read sensor data, force outputs, program the roof and much more.

I use service manuals that I was able to purchase online cheap. I like being able to search electronically and print what I need. I recommend it if for nothing else the wiring diagrams.

I have a background in engineering, have experience using similar devices, an understanding of control systems and did not have much problem learning the Tech2. It is mostly menu driven.

HTH

A authentic one has markings on the inner compartment door. I looked on CL and found one from a dealer 700 bucks,came with the candi module,everything. ALOT of dealers went under and they mysteriously disappear.
The knock offs probably will work for the couple times you'll use it. Like anything else you pay for what you get. Alittle different when a company sets a standard for their product made by a Chinese company vs a Chinese company trying to reengineer something and use inferior parts. Either it should be made in America "just saying"

What are the markings?

There were only two dealerships that closed in the Portland area and I'm sure the T2's went with a tech for his/her future use.

SOMETIMES you get what you pay for, other times you get the shaft and I don't mean swaybar shaft ;)

Spoke to my wife, right now the winch won. Looks like I'll have to work an overtime shift for the T2.

Phrede thanks for the info. I've purchased a few items that came from that exact town/city/area in China. The latest was an RC Helicopter. $18.00 vrs the same in a state side store for $68.00.

BTW are there any markings on/in your T2 that Stella talked about?

What ISN'T made in China these days. Growing up everything was marked Made in Japan.

Phrede thanks for the info. I've purchased a few items that came from that exact town/city/area in China. The latest was an RC Helicopter. $18.00 vrs the same in a state side store for $68.00.

BTW are there any markings on/in your T2 that Stella talked about?

What ISN'T made in China these days. Growing up everything was marked Made in Japan.

Not sure what the markings are so I'm not sure if they are there or not.

For anyone contemplating the purchase of a Tech II, you'll need to buy the shop repair manuals to interpret the DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes.) You will also need to purchase a CANdi (Controller Area Network Diagnostic Interface) module if it isn't already supplied. The CANdi module is connected between the vehicle interface (under the steering column) and the Tech II, allowing for bi-directional communications with both of the XLR's (high and low speed) networks.

Not only will the shop manuals allow you to interpret the codes, but they'll show you how to use the tech II to explore and test all of the nodes (components) attached to the networks. It also has an overview of each area that tests are performed to give you an idea of how everything is supposed to work nominally. The shop manuals aren't just for interpreting the tech II's results. They explain in great detail how to take the car apart and put it back together.

The "official" tech II for GM was made by Bosch, but clones abound. (I say "was" because the PC-based TIS system is the latest and greatest; the tech II is obsolete, but still very useful.) Make sure you buy one with the latest firmware rev (which is installed on a removable memory card.) Blank cards can be found cheaply, but you'll have a tough time getting one loaded with the firmware if you don't have a (very) good connection at your dealership.

CC :wave:

CC are the books more comprehensive than manuals on cd?

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom