Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Wanted - plastic gromet for XLR carpet floor mat

WVsunnydays

My XLR/V(s)
2006 platinum XLR-V
I need a round plastic grommet with a hole in the center, also called a retainer, that goes into the stock XLR carpet floor mat. This grommet has a top half and a bottom half and clamps together through the hole in the carpet mat. I don't need the retaining post that mounts into the floor of the vehicle. These are available from the dealer.

Unfortunately, the grommet that I need is part of the floor mat and I don't want to buy a new floor mat just to get a grommet. This is the same grommet also used to hold the trunk divider in place and also for the trunk storage compartment lid.

I'll bump this thread for info, as well. However, I need the bracket that is held by the grommet that slips over the post... mine has split on the passenger side mat. Thanks!

I need a round plastic grommet with a hole in the center, also called a retainer, that goes into the stock XLR carpet floor mat. This grommet has a top half and a bottom half and clamps together through the hole in the carpet mat. I don't need the retaining post that mounts into the floor of the vehicle. These are available from the dealer.

Unfortunately, the grommet that I need is part of the floor mat and I don't want to buy a new floor mat just to get a grommet. This is the same grommet also used to hold the trunk divider in place and also for the trunk storage compartment lid.

I will look through my XLR stuff & see if I have what you need. :wave:

Sorry, no luck finding the pieces you need
Bruce, do you have any way to track down this TSB to see if it offers us a solution, part numbers?

From rom previous thread:

"I know this thread is a few months old but, there is actually a service bulletin to replace these retainers with a new style. The service bulletin is 08-08-110-010. Complete with part numbers. Hope this helps. I am replacing my retainers too. - See more at: https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/care-and-maintenance/6988-mat-and-trunk-divider-grommet-fix-2.html#sthash.70jGgdff.dpuf"

TSB - The actual TSB has pictures.

Here is the information from the bulletin. This procedure will cause you to upgrade to the newer style floor mats and cut the carpet - think about whether or not you want to do that first.

The trunk partition retainers are a better style. -

If you make these changes - save any good retainers - I have checked every surplus parts depot - there are none.

Hope this helps.

Condition
Some customers may comment that the floor mats will not stay in place or the trunk partition
(on the XLR) will not stay retained to the carpet.

Correction
Installation of New Floor Mat Retainers (Corvette and XLR)
1. Remove the old floor mat retainer from the floor by prying with a screwdriver under the
top lip of the retainer and twisting.
2. Cut a 25 mm (1 in) wide slit in the carpet, 30 mm (1-1/4 in) back from the center of the
hole that was left from the retainer Step 1.
3. Slide the new retainer through the slit in the carpet and snap it closed in the old retainer
hole.
4. Install new floor mats.

Correction
Installation of New Trunk Partition Retainers (XLR Only)
1. Lay
the trunk partition on a clean, hard surface.
2. Pull the old retainers from the trunk partition by prying up with a screwdriver under the
top lip of the retainer and twisting.
3. In order for the retainers to snap together, you will have to flatten the perimeter around
the hole in the partition.
4. Trim the right and left sides of the retaining hole in order to snap the new retainer to the
partition.
5. Install the retainers so that when the partition is laying flat in the trunk, the concave half
is facing upward.
6. Use a rubber mallet to seat the two halves. In some cases, it may be necessary to repeat
Step 2.
7. Pull up the trunk carpet in the rear and separate the jute from the carpet to remove the
old retainers.
8. Install the new floor mat retainers and install the partition.
Parts Information
Requires second design floor mats with hook and loop.

Part Number Description
10351595 Hook
(order three per vehicle)

25940668 Retainer - Partition Lower (order two per vehicle)
25938714 Retainer - Partition Upper (order two per vehicle)
25941470 Retainer - Trunk Upper (order two per vehicle)
25938728 Retainer - Trunk Lower (order two per vehicle)

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this information. It looks like the rear carpet is fairly easy to lift up to install the new retainers. The ones on my cargo divider were missing when I purchased the car so it will be good to get it secured.
9/28 - Just ordered three retainers, two for the divider and one for the storage compartment. About $85 for more small plastic parts. Hope it works this time.

Last edited:
A solution to the grommet problem

:cool:

9/30/2014 Update:

I went ahead and ordered the current carpet retainers (grommets) from GMpartsdirect.com. Part No. 19167704. The hole is too large as someone responding to my post stated. Therefore, I took the good retainer from the cover of the trunk storage compartment and put it into the passenger side carpet. I put the new oversized grommet into the trunk storage cover. I cut some electrician's tape into a thin strip and wrapped it around the post for the trunk cover grommet so it fits snugly into the hole of the oversized retainer (grommet). It works fine. Just the West Virginia hade tree mechanic coming out in me.

Below are some pictures of Part No. 19167704 that I used. The 1st. picture is of the top & bottom halves of the retainer held on a pen. I have the bottom half of the original (smaller) grommet from my car in case anyone needs it. Let me know and I'll mail it to you.

100_0580.jpg100_0578.jpg100_0581.jpg

Last edited:
Trunk divider grommet issue

:cool:

9/30/2014 Update:

I went ahead and ordered the current carpet retainers (grommets) from GMpartsdirect.com. Part No. 19167704. The hole is too large as someone responding to my post stated. Therefore, I took the good retainer from the cover of the trunk storage compartment and put it into the passenger side carpet. I put the new oversized grommet into the trunk storage cover. I cut some electrician's tape into a thin strip and wrapped it around the post for the trunk cover grommet so it fits snugly into the hole of the oversized retainer (grommet). It works fine. Just the West Virginia hade tree mechanic coming out in me.

Below are some pictures of Part No. 19167704 that I used. The 1st. picture is of the top & bottom halves of the retainer held on a pen. I have the bottom half of the original (smaller) grommet from my car in case anyone needs it. Let me know and I'll mail it to you.

GM finally admitted there screw up and came up with a sort of fix. See TSB#08-08-110-010 dated August 2008 for details. The parts needed for the trunk are 20908158 & 20902359 (up graded p/no's from TSB). You'll need (2) of each p/n for the trunk.

I ordered the original type retainers for the trunk cargo divider, they are the same as the ones for the floor mats. They part #'s are 10344096 and 1034497.

Last edited:
Let me know if they fit

Rod

I purchased and returned those part numbers as they were not the correct size. I have a different part number for the original part.

Please let me know if they fit your car.

Thanks
Tom

Rod

I purchased and returned those part numbers as they were not the correct size. I have a different part number for the original part.

Please let me know if they fit your car.

Thanks
Tom

The part numbers I mentioned clip inot the OEM floor mats perfectly. These part numbers correspond to the "pin" portion of the retainer (the part on the floor that the mat clips into). I'm pretty sure you cannot purchase the grommet part that fits into the mat separately.

I installed the new retainers in my V trunk divider today.

038.jpg039.jpg

I installed the new style, divider retainers today. A little more difficult than the TSB would have you believe, but with a little help from an impact socket to flatten out the carpet to accept the new retainer and we have a good solid connection to the trunk floor.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom