Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Weather Stripping

beaver_jd

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Red XLR / 2007 XLR-V
Much of my weather stripping is looking poor and dried out from the California heat. What can I put on it to bring some life back to it. Thanks.
John F.

I have not tried the 303 product, although I know a lot of people swear by it. I did try something called Einszett Gummi Pflege that a friend who is a BMW nut recommended. It ran down the windows & paint & was a PAIN to get off. I considered using GM weatherstrip lubricant (GM part #3634770), & Krytox GPL 205, and I found research indicating these two are the same thing. However, I found people saying those would run too & were even harder to get off the paint than Gummi Pflege, so I didn't actually try them.

At this point I go with Zaino Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss, Zaino Store : Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss. No silicone & has UV protection, haven't had any problems with it running, but if it does it won't stain the paint.

I've been singing Z-16's praises for over ten years because (like Zaino's other products) it just plain works.

It's non-oily, won't fling off, (tires) and leaves a non-glossy shine on plastic and rubber.

To be fair, I've never heard anything negative about 303; I just like being able to order all my time-tested car care products from one source.

CC :wave:

Expierence

So does the 303 product give the same or as good results as the z? Inquiring minds want to know.

Chad,
I edited my earlier post. I meant to post a link for Gummi Phlege. The Gummi Pflege popped up with a cost for case lots for $202. Not too many of us need that much. After reading the description of the 303 product, it also looks worth a try as well.
Tim

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

XLRATING,
I thought I read somewhere that Krytox had a high temp to reach b-4 breaking up....would that include becoming runny?
I know it's expensive, but I bought a little tube for other things on my X....if I'm wrong, I hope it doesn't get runny...
ras

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XLRATING,
I thought I read somewhere that Krytox had a high temp to reach b-4 breaking up....would that include becoming runny?
I know it's expensive, but I bought a little tube for other things on my X....if I'm wrong, I hope it doesn't get runny...
ras

I tried to find what I ran across before on that stuff getting on the paint, couldn't find it but I think it was more an "operator error" issue in putting on too much/not letting it soak in, etc. I know there's liquid & gel versions, & it may have been the liquid version.

In any event, I could see me causing myself all kinds of problems with that, especially on the thin bits of rubber on top of the C pillars.

I can relate to what you're saying in regards to using a little more than what is needed, as that is me.
I've used the Krytox with a
Q-Tip on things on my interior, like the console waterfall door, glovebox, etc.... & no more squeaks in those areas... That door drove me nuts!
ras

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry