Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

We're #2!!

ELR: Not the car for the Central Valley?

I was at the Cadillac parts department in Fresno Ca and decided to go inside and check out the ELR and found none on the floor! Why? According to the sales guy, "Fresno isn't the market place for the ELR, but for the Bay Area-yes." :rolleyes:

I find this article a bit confusing. On one hand the writer talks about the XLR being based upon the Corvette (like that's a bad thing), but on the other hand talks about the Cimarron being based upon the Chevroley Cavalier (another bad thing and I do agree). However, I think it was a good idea that the XLR was based on the Corvette. I believe there was nothing around that was GM and a two seater. Makes good since to me. Who cares if the XLR wasn't as fast as it's cousin for it should be slower once to add the extra weight to droptop and large seats.

The ELR needs to be at the very top of this list. Among the terrible GM decisions:

That it was built at all
That it was built on the outgoing volt chassis (at least the XLR began life on the future Corvette Chassis)
(Note there will be a new volt chassis for 2016)
That it was brought out as a 2014 with a very short model year
That some Cadillac-level features were made optional
That some Cadillac-level features aren't available at all (sunroof, cooled seats, hud)
Then they priced it at $75k base, $80k decently equipped, $85k special edition.

It looks like just under 2200 were built, under 400 sold December-June. Discounts are in the 12-18k range already, and from discussions on the Volt forums it looks like it will take quite a bit more to move them.

It's really not a bad car at all. Just the wrong car at the wrong time for an astronomically wrong price.

I agree! It's all about the market. The biggest hit against the XLR was always the price. The XLR-V cost $25k more for essentially a different engine, hood and some minor cosmetic changes. Nice cars but for the money, you could choose from some even nicer cars, which the market did. I got a great price and have a unique vehicle, so I'm happy, years later.

The ELR repeats the same marketing mistake. I doubt there are many dealers lining up to stock the 2015 models.

CC :wave:

It will only get worse for the ELR

It will only get worse.....Tesla just announced a mid size for next year for under $40,000. Tell me why they can make a true 300 mile electric car,but the big three can't?? I have a 100 mile commute every day and wouldn't even consider an ELR or Volt. Most people think electric cars are the answer and the future. What they don't seem to understand is the power to charge these vehicles is produced mainly by power plants burning fossil fuels (coal) or natural gas. I don't about anyone else, but in my area the electric rates are some of the highest in the country. So where are the savings!

Taking a snooze on the ELR

If anything, I'll want until the price goes down-way down! If Tesla has a model for 40k then I'll wake up from the long snooze, but seriously I like the gas/electic combo and not 100% electric. I travel a lot and the idea of waiting to recharge can become a pain unless the battery can go, let's say 500 mile range.:D

It will only get worse.....Tesla just announced a mid size for next year for under $40,000. Tell me why they can make a true 300 mile electric car,but the big three can't?? I have a 100 mile commute every day and wouldn't even consider an ELR or Volt. Most people think electric cars are the answer and the future. What they don't seem to understand is the power to charge these vehicles is produced mainly by power plants burning fossil fuels (coal) or natural gas. I don't about anyone else, but in my area the electric rates are some of the highest in the country. So where are the savings!

I agree - I've never understood why "electric car" always gets treated as "free power." Last I checked I get an electric bill for recharging things too.

And a 100 mile daily commute?! :eek: I need to shut up about my 60 mile one!

Yeah and what you gonna do when you run out of electro charge a long the road? You can fill a gas can, but finding a very long extension cord don't know about that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Yeah and what you gonna do when you run out of electro charge a long the road? You can fill a gas can, but finding a very long extension cord don't know about that!

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

You may not need a long extension cord. Tests are now being done on solar panel roadways, parking lots, walking paths, and rest stops with charging stations.

Unfortunately, the list of obstacles is long. The main problem is cost. "Sure, we could pave the streets with solar panels, but we could also pave them with gold," science writer Aaron Saenz wrote in 2010, when Solar Roadways was first getting national attention. "There is roughly 29,000 square miles of road surface to cover. We need roughly 5.6 billion panels to cover that area. That’s a price tag of $56 trillion!"

Solar Roadways - Introduction

Why wasn't Fisker on this list?

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

I don't know whe Karma Fisker wasn't on this list, but it does have a solor roof. I was at a SEMA show several years ago and noticed the difference between the Tesla and Fisker.

Please excuse the model for she got in the way.;)
28343_.jpg

28344_.jpg

Nice stance.
28345_.jpg

28346_.jpg

28347_.jpg

28349_.jpg

28350_.jpg

28351_.jpg

28352_.jpg

28353_.jpg

28354_.jpg

Solar Panels on previous concept Cadillac

I was at GM's Herritage Center several years ago and notice the solar panels on that concept IMAJ car. If GM is trying to sell the ELR to the public than why not use some of the features on early concept cars? Cost? :dunno:

13855_.jpg

13853_.jpg

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry