Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

XLR and V's selling like hot cakes

standby-V

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 Lt. Platinum & 2006 Lt. Platinum XLR-V
Two V's sold this weekend at my dealer for over $90,000. Wouldn't say how much.
Another Black 06 XLR on the lot for $44,000 and a white 08 inside with sticker on it.
Everyone thinks they are going to rise in price. I don't think sooooooooooooooooooo!

The 2 that were at our dealership are gone too .... They had a black one a couple of weeks ago .... she was almost as pretty as Lola.

This forum has really gotten quiet since the announcement that the car is going out of manufacture. I'm thinking that we are so lucky to have one of these beautiful beasts - they were rare before, but now they will be even more so .... a timeless beauty. I guess value is a matter of interpretation - :blinzel: I always had to tell people what she was - I don't think that's going to change ..... except that the people who want one might have a more difficult time finding one. Well, maybe not right now .... for whatever reason, some people will no longer want to keep the car and will be anxious to put the latest and hottest car in their garage.

I hope more owners will find this forum - we are a unique group - and now owners of a once-in-a-lifetime concept car. :wave:

The average person doesnt even know that GM has discontinued the XLR. You can bet that the dearlor isnt telling them.

Well - we were out on a slot car hunt today, and believe me, nothing has changed in the way others perceive the car. Still commands attention wherever we go or park it .... :cool:

4 weeks ago at the National Auto Show the XLR and V were side by side ..... people were crowded around them. You are right ... most people have no clue what we drive .... but they all want one! :lol:

Guess what Ruthie, they don't know what we have and they aren't going to get what we have. The bad part is these people never knew about the roadster because of the bad advertising and that's why it just got axed. All GM's fault. I think I might go to the end with mine. I love the attention it gets. What would we buy to replace it?
Well - we were out on a slot car hunt today, and believe me, nothing has changed in the way others perceive the car. Still commands attention wherever we go or park it .... :cool:

4 weeks ago at the National Auto Show the XLR and V were side by side ..... people were crowded around them. You are right ... most people have no clue what we drive .... but they all want one! :lol:

Yep ..... I stand by what I have always said though ..... I don't care that GM never marketed it harder .... it would not be so wonderful if I saw an XLR as often as I see other sports cars .... they remain unique because of their limited production. And, it IS a Cadillac.

The Black V my dealer had went to another dealer in a trade but they are going to get more in. They had a Red one available at the factory the other day that I could have had but I only would consider another Silver. I think I will just keep the one I have as I just do not like vents on the fenders. First Robin

We sold a red 05 with 26,000 miles for $27,250 at auction today. About 10% better than I thought we would get.

For obvious reasons car prices are low across the board. Not a good time to sell, but if you have the credit and/or cash it's a great time to buy. Pretty much the same deal as the housing market.

I don't agree with you Ruth, but we are all entitled to our own opinions.
They are finished making the XLR and service is going to be worse than ever to get done right and parts are going to be a beotch to get. I do like the uniqueness of our cars but we will pay for this dearly, mark my words. I just have that exhaust type noise (clunk) when I go over certain types of ruts or bumps and they can't find it. I could lemon it for that reason alone, It's been in 8 or 9 times for that one alone, but what am I going to buy and still feel like a rock star.
Yep ..... I stand by what I have always said though ..... I don't care that GM never marketed it harder .... it would not be so wonderful if I saw an XLR as often as I see other sports cars .... they remain unique because of their limited production. And, it IS a Cadillac.

I don't agree with you Ruth, but we are all entitled to our own opinions.
They are finished making the XLR and service is going to be worse than ever to get done right and parts are going to be a beotch to get. I do like the uniqueness of our cars but we will pay for this dearly, mark my words. I just have that exhaust type noise (clunk) when I go over certain types of ruts or bumps and they can't find it. I could lemon it for that reason alone, It's been in 8 or 9 times for that one alone, but what am I going to buy and still feel like a rock star.

Unforunately I have to agree with you about the service and availability of parts. I will say that I think this is a drop in the bucket as to how many cars will go out of production by the big three. I also feel that GM putting everything on the CTS being there savior out of this is wishful thinking. For one thing you cant buy a CTS for under $40,000.00 and with tax and any kind of features its more like around $52,000.00 the car looses 2/3 its value in under three years. You can also forget about V8's and the CTSV these will be gone because of what the government and President signed into law last week. :bash:If you like power you had better consider keeping what you have. If you like fast vettes then you better get one this year. :ugh: Fred (speedway)

Just arrived home from my dealer. Had to have a shifter knob ordered for the XLR. My service writer told me it shows it is backordered, he doesn't know when it will be in. Had a nice visit with the owner and he said their January sales were 60% in January of what they were January a year ago. That is above national figures but this is a quality dealership, way above the average. They bend over backwards to take care of their customers. That is why I deal with them. First Robin

Selling XLR's

A dealer in KCMO that had two used XLR's has sold them. And another dealer that had an 09, it's gone. Don't know it it was sold or traded. If anything, this action by GM has spurred renewed interest. Limited now. Anyone that knows I own my X has said I should hold on to it. I told them that that's what I do anyway.

Last week on e-bay a new car dealer was dealing 2 `09 xlr, buy it now,one with 50 something miles and the other one had a few more miles for $58,000.00 . I checked yesterday and they are gone.

Even the dealers are acting like the back side of a donkey. I figure my 06-V will be worth $5.00 by Christmas.:laugh:Who really gives a darn, the people still come up to me and tell me how stunning it is............that's all I need.
Last week on e-bay a new car dealer was dealing 2 `09 xlr, buy it now,one with 50 something miles and the other one had a few more miles for $58,000.00 . I checked yesterday and they are gone.

Lets just say our XLR's are a well kept secret. most people that i run across think that it's a Corvette, when I tell them that it's a Cadillac.....they scratched thier heads. From what I understand Cadillac never advertised the XLR. It kind of reminds me of Chrylser, I purchassed a 2005 Crossfire Roadster Limited new in 2005 for $41K I still own the car, but the value has tanked to about $14k on the used market. Daimler Chrysler never did any promoting of this car, it was the love child of the MB Chrysler union. The car is basically a MB SLK 320 with a Chrysler designed body and a blast to drive. If I can locate a well maintained low milage XLR V and the timing is right, I would like to add it to the stable.

That's not entirely true, GM did advertise the XLR coming out of a tunnel in less than 5 seconds to 60 but with only flashes of the cars at football games and TV shows, the real answer is no, they didn't advertise it. I guess they thought they could just produce it like the Corvette and it would sustain itself. I talked to the market director for the XLR at BG in RII and basically said his hands where tied because the car wasn't selling. Well Dah! Takes money to make money is my answer to that, and he shrugged his shoulders.
Lets just say our XLR's are a well kept secret. most people that i run across think that it's a Corvette, when I tell them that it's a Cadillac.....they scratched thier heads. From what I understand Cadillac never advertised the XLR. It kind of reminds me of Chrylser, I purchassed a 2005 Crossfire Roadster Limited new in 2005 for $41K I still own the car, but the value has tanked to about $14k on the used market. Daimler Chrysler never did any promoting of this car, it was the love child of the MB Chrysler union. The car is basically a MB SLK 320 with a Chrysler designed body and a blast to drive. If I can locate a well maintained low milage XLR V and the timing is right, I would like to add it to the stable.

A number of things doomed the car... Historically cars in the price range of the XLR (especially the XLR-V) are not advertised. At least not like cars in a more "affordable" class. However, if you are going to try and launch a new brand you have to spend the dollars to get the word out and keep up the hype. You have to pay to have it seen at every major car show/event and race possible. Cadillac did none of that. There was the usual unveiling of the model and that's about where the marketing ended. The car is built at the same factory as the Vette and is built on the Vette platform. Consequently, I believe GM made the mistake of thinking that the Corvette popularity would somehow carry over to the XLR by default.

The XLR-V had a big hill to climb... Until the 2009 ZR1 came out the XLR-V was the most expensive car in GM's stable and is the most unknown of all GM's models. Let's face it, most car guys and gals who can afford to drop 6 figures on a 2 seater are looking at the exotics. It does not matter how many customers out there willing to buy used XLR's. You have to have buyers stepping up and buying new in order to create a used car market. I talk to lot's of guys in the Vette community that said they would consider buying a low mileage used one, but were not willing to eat the huge depreciation that new car buyer like me took.

Lastly, the poor economy, tougher CAFE standards, pressure to go more green and GM's financial blunders the past 10 or so years sealed the XLR's fate. With any luck the car will gain some added mystique and hype in the rare car collector world. God knows, it certainly is rare car and is one beautiful machine inside and out. As for me, I will continue to enjoy mine and probably give it to my son when I'm too old to drive it. I'm 48 so I suspect that will be a few years yet... hopefully!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom