Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

XLR Stuck in Gear... Shift Cable Repair

Tom

My XLR/V(s)
2005 Red Jewel XLR
So I pulled in the office Monday morning and, as usual, park far away from any potential scratch makers. On this day, my habit would prevent more than scratches.

I put the car in park, shut off the engine and step out. After walking across the lot I turn around to admire a fresh coat of wax from the night before. What I see is my car starting to roll across the lot!! I rush over and get it stopped and pushed into a safe position. I then jump in anxious to determine what has gone wrong.

Upon investigation, the shifter is indeed in the park position but I am too well aware that the transmission is not. The lack of resistance to moving the shifter and the fact that I could not hear the transmission engaging confirmed that the connection between the two had been lost.

I guess I am lucky that the shift cable decided to fail in neutral, as I was easily able to get it loaded on a roll back and delivered to the dealership. 24 hours and $620 later, I'm back rolling. This price included all parts associated with the shift cable, labor and a new gas cap ($15 and a different story in itself).

Hopefully this will be helpful to the next poor soul "googling" XLR stuck in gear. I know I certainly would have liked to find this :)

I was told the shift cable itself broke. Didn't get to see the parts so I can't describe much more. After looking at the schematic, I guess it could have been another part of the linkage assembly that failed. Whatever it was it definitely rendered the shifter useless. Had it not been in neutral I guess I would have had to pull the console and try to gain access to either push or pull the cable manually. Based on the service report the "shift cable" was replaced. I'll check and see if there is a part number on the receipt tomorrow.

This is actually the first time I've heard of this problem... glad you decided to look back to admire...
Lucky you didn't wait until you heard a "crunch", then looked back to see what made the noise???

So I pulled in the office Monday morning and, as usual, park far away from any potential scratch makers. On this day, my habit would prevent more than scratches.

I put the car in park, shut off the engine and step out. After walking across the lot I turn around to admire a fresh coat of wax from the night before. What I see is my car starting to roll across the lot!! I rush over and get it stopped and pushed into a safe position. I then jump in anxious to determine what has gone wrong.

Upon investigation, the shifter is indeed in the park position but I am too well aware that the transmission is not. The lack of resistance to moving the shifter and the fact that I could not hear the transmission engaging confirmed that the connection between the two had been lost.

I guess I am lucky that the shift cable decided to fail in neutral, as I was easily able to get it loaded on a roll back and delivered to the dealership. 24 hours and $620 later, I'm back rolling. This price included all parts associated with the shift cable, labor and a new gas cap ($15 and a different story in itself).

Hopefully this will be helpful to the next poor soul "googling" XLR stuck in gear. I know I certainly would have liked to find this :)

I had the same problem two years ago. Did some research on a replacement pushrod system instead of the 5-wire cable but couldn't find an adequate supplier for the length required nor the two connectors.

Shift Cable Broke

I have had this problem 2 times now.
First time August 2011, backed out of drive and would not go into any other gear. Cadillac dealership found the shift cable broke.
Second time September 2013, had car in part (so I thought) waiting on a family member, tried to put car in reverse, would not go into any gear. Same dealership, same problem, shift cable broke.

I submitted a complaint on the NHTSA website, have not heard anything yet. I feel like this could be a safety problem.

Everyone should go submit a complaint on the NHTSA website.

First time August 2011, backed out of drive and would not go into any other gear. Cadillac dealership found the shift cable broke.
Second time September 2013, had car in part (so I thought) waiting on a family member, tried to put car in reverse, would not go into any gear. Same dealership, same problem, shift cable broke.

I submitted a complaint on the NHTSA website, have not heard anything yet. I feel like this could be a safety problem.

How many miles are on your XLR? I am wondering if this is possibly an age issue or mileage issue or both.

How many miles are on your XLR? I am wondering if this is possibly an age issue or mileage issue or both.

80,000 miles total. Only put 20,000 miles on the shift cable replaced in 2011 to 2013.

80,000 miles total. Only put 20,000 miles on the shift cable replaced in 2011 to 2013.

I think that you are right. There must be something defective with the cables if you had to have it replaced at 20K and 80K miles. Also this should be covered under warranty. $660.00 is a lot to pay once let alone twice.

I was just reading on the corvette c6 forum they are gathering info for NHTSA, happens they have more cars= more broken cables.you may want to add yours to their count. Al:dunno:

I was just reading on the corvette c6 forum they are gathering info for NHTSA, happens they have more cars= more broken cables.you may want to add yours to their count. Al:dunno:

It's been a problem with C5s and C6s for years. Poke around a little and you will see a handful of solutions. The best of which is to purchase OE or better and install per tech manual.

shift cable

I had the same thing happen just last week, went into grocery store and came out to load groceries got into car cranked and shifted to reverse --- nothing, loose shifter. towed to dealer broken cable at transmission, $400 later cruising again.

Hello steve05,

I am sorry to hear of the vehicle concern you experienced and for any inconvenience this has caused. I am glad you were able to work with your dealership towards a satisfactory resolution. If any questions or concerns arise, please feel free to send us a private message. We are more than happy to assist the best we can.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

Thanks

Thanks Laura. IF you have any advice on the trunk leaking it would be a great help. I have had at the dealers twice to repair but when the rain falls my trunk is always wet, Currently my carpet is out drying.
Regards
Steve

Shift Cable Repair for 2008 Black XLR (new to us:)...only 4 weeks ago)

Hello all! Took our car to the local Cadillac dealer for the worst Raw Gas smell ever within our garage, where we park this 'New Black Beauty'. They've done all sorts of tests, but have found no leaks, etc. :-( However, they DID find a frayed and broken Shift Cable! NONE available, as all are Back-ordered! Trying to locate one somewhere! Anyway, after reviewing ALL of these many complaints and problems listed on your site and the other XLR Forum, we believe there's a definite Manufacturing Problem with this faulty part!!!!! How do we all get GM to pay for these EXPENSIVE Faulty Parts??? Ideas??? We WILL be informing the government watchdog! Thanks and we'll await any replies about the Gasoline Smell, and the Faulty Shift Cables. Luette

Hello all! Took our car to the local Cadillac dealer for the worst Raw Gas smell ever within our garage, where we park this 'New Black Beauty'. They've done all sorts of tests, but have found no leaks, etc. :-( However, they DID find a frayed and broken Shift Cable! NONE available, as all are Back-ordered! Trying to locate one somewhere! Anyway, after reviewing ALL of these many complaints and problems listed on your site and the other XLR Forum, we believe there's a definite Manufacturing Problem with this faulty part!!!!! How do we all get GM to pay for these EXPENSIVE Faulty Parts??? Ideas??? We WILL be informing the government watchdog! Thanks and we'll await any replies about the Gasoline Smell, and the Faulty Shift Cables. Luette

In a two word answer: No way

The shift cable is a 50$ part. I replaced mine two months after purchase when the front link just plain wore out. A local repair shop did the work after I bought the part. Total cost to me? 125$

This is what you're looking for
SHIFT CONTROL CABLE FOR 2006 CADILLAC XLR #12569499

I just received an email from gmparts club saying they can get it in a couple of days You might consider calling them and/or your dealer

Last edited:
Shift Cable Repair

Hi All,
Good morning. Just another day in Paradise. Last night I pulled in to fill up with fuel before going home. The station pad is level so never thought about anything being different until I went to start the xlr. Well when it is not in park it will not start, the top will not go up and you have to use the manual release for the parking brake. This was all do to the retaining clip between the shifter cable and the transmission lever. Well this sucks at 2300. Have friend with a rollback and he brought it over. when we got the front wheels up and there was some clearance I moved the shifter and he slipped the end of the cable over the pin. While not secure we did get it in park to start the car and then in drive to get it home. Not sure what the part I lost looks like but it was a ****er... Called the caddy dealer and he said the retainer comes with the new cable $88.00. Thanks and just another car story.
Fred

Shift Cable or Bushing Replacement?

When I replace my exhaust system with the Corsa and install the "trick" tunnel brace I'm planning on looking at the shift cable / bushing. My question is it best to replace the entire cable or only the bushings? While I'm doing the exhaust system I'm planning to use exhaust wrap to minimize the tunnel temperature, has anyone tried this?

When I replace my exhaust system with the Corsa and install the "trick" tunnel brace I'm planning on looking at the shift cable / bushing. My question is it best to replace the entire cable or only the bushings? While I'm doing the exhaust system I'm planning to use exhaust wrap to minimize the tunnel temperature, has anyone tried this?

Since you're going to have the plate off, you have a chance to examine the shift cable from both ends. Look for any fraying of the steel cable from one end to the other. If ok, you would be good to go just replacing the bushings. Course, if it's frayed you'll have to obtain a new shift cable, that's doubtful a Caddy dealer would have in stock. I still see them as "available" on a lot of parts websites. If you replace the cable, don't button everything up until you've adjusted the cable to work properly.

Thanks for the follow up! My concern is that a cable has a very long life where as the bushing are apparently short. The adjustment of the cable could be beyond normal humans, where the bushing seem to be very straight forward. From my work scope I will have the underpinning wide open, but why add additional work and adjustment of the cable. Your input is always welcome! Any thought of additional action items that should be preformed when I have her up on jack stands? Thanks for your help!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom