Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Charleston, SC trip April '11 information

Heading back north Thursday so we will not be able to participate.

I guess it's about time to start mapping the route. Need to figure out where and when to join the main group.

Don't know if I want to spend the night in Indy before, but will definitely stay the night after. Seems there is an MVP Track Day on Sunday at Putnam Park.

I guess it's about time to start mapping the route. Need to figure out where and when to join the main group.

Don't know if I want to spend the night in Indy before, but will definitely stay the night after. Seems there is an MVP Track Day on Sunday at Putnam Park.

We have a couple of options out of Indy for our driving route to Ashville, NC.
Option #1; I-65 south to Louisville, KY and pick up I-64 east to Lexington, KY and pick up I-75 south to Knoxville, TN and pick up I-40 east to Asheville, NC.

Option #2; I-74 east to Cincinnati, OH and pick up I-75 south to Knoxville, TN and pick up I-40 east to Asheville, NC.

Maybe some of you guys can join us along the way.

Tours update

We can tour the Calhoun Mansion on Thursday, April 14th @ 4:30 pm after The Smokey Bones car show. We can schedule our tour earlier (3:00 -4:00 pm) if you guys feel it would work out better.

There are 2 tours that you can choose from;

The regular tour is $17 per person & covers the first two floors, takes around 30-45 minutes to complete.

The grand tour is $50 per person & includes the entire home. They remove the ropes on this tour so you can move off the tour path & take pictures through out the home. The tour takes 1hr 30 min to complete.

We don't all have to do the same tour of the mansion. I do need to know how many of you are interested in the grand tour so that we can let them know how many to expect. We will be able to purchase our tour tickets when we arrive @ the mansion in the gift shop.

Check out the website and let me know.:wave:

We have our reservation time of 4:00 pm on Thursday April 14th for both tour groups (grand & regular). I will call them the day of with final numbers of tour groups.:wave:

I found this package and thought it would be a great way to experience a lot of Charleston. I will call them today. I would recommend the 1yr.Passport for $64.95 per person. It will give you more time to visit each place. The 2 day Passport for $44.95 must be used in 2 consecutive days.

http://charlestonheritagefederation.org/passport.html

Make sure and look through the info.:wave:

I hope you all have a great time!! Tell my brother I said "Hi":wave:

Hunley submarine tour

Bob W suggested we visit the Hunley Submarine while we are in Charleston. Luckily for us, the Friends of the Hunley will be doing tours during the week that we are in town. I'm waiting for a call back to confirm the date & time of our tour. Let me know if you are intersted in a tour of the Civil War Sub. Here is a link;
http://www.hunley.org/index.asp

C.S.S. Hunley

For anyone that is a history fan, I can highly recommend visiting the C.S.S. Hunley at the Warren G. Lasch Conservation Center, located on the old Charleston Naval Base.

As someone who has been keenly interested in the history of the "Southern War of Secession", I visited the C.S.S. Hunley at the WGLCC a few years ago and can highly recommend it!

If you folks do see the C.S.S. Hunley, I recommend a visit to the graves where the recovered remains of the gallant men who died in the Hunley are buried. The Magnolia Cemetery is a wonderful old cemetery full of history and is well worth the visit. I can lead our little "parade" to the cemetery and right to the site of the graves.

DSC00267.jpg

For anyone that is a history fan, I can highly recommend visiting the C.S.S. Hunley at the Warren G. Lasch Conservation Center, located on the old Charleston Naval Base.

As someone who has been keenly interested in the history of the "Southern War of Secession", I visited the C.S.S. Hunley at the WGLCC a few years ago and can highly recommend it!

If you folks do see the C.S.S. Hunley, I recommend a visit to the graves where the recovered remains of the gallant men who died in the Hunley are buried. The Magnolia Cemetery is a wonderful old cemetery full of history and is well worth the visit. I can lead our little "parade" to the cemetery and right to the site of the graves.

DSC00267.jpg

CP, that sounds like a great side trip. Thanks for the information and for the offer of leading the "parade".

Diane and I are signed up. Thanks for the link.

How to behave in Charleston

How to behave in Charleston
A short guide for non-natives

1. Charleston has many nicknames. One of the most popular is the "Holy City". This comes from the fact that there are so many churches there, of many denominations. Please act like you have been to church at some point in your life in order to fit in better.

2. The intersection of Meeting and Broad streets is known as the "Four Corners of Law". That is because there is a church, a Post Office, a state courthouse and City Hall located on the four corners. That comprises God's law, Federal Law, State Law and City Law on the 4 corners. This would not be a good place to spin your wheels, consume alcohol from an open container or utter profanities. Some of you might just want to avoid this intersection completely.

3. Although most history books (that were written by yankees) refer to the conflict, beginning in 1861 and lasting until 1865, as the "Civil War", they are wrong! It would technically be most accurate to refer to it as the "War of Secession". However, most long-time Charleston families refer to it as "our most recent hostilities".

4. You will find that the most common beverage served in Charleston is "iced tea". If you want it unsweetened, you must specify that. This beverage is very simple to make. You first heat the water with the teabags in it, then pour it over ice to cool it. Sugar has been added to sweeten it, and you may add lemon to make it a bit tart. If you order "unsweetened tea', you will identify yourself as a diabetic or yankee, one of which will be greeted with sympathetic understanding and the other with a harsh look.

5. If you decide to order grits, please do not order "just one grit" so you can try it.

6. Native Bar-B-Q is pork, not beef. You may find interlopers that serve BBQ in Charleston that is beef, but it's just because they don't know any better and there are enough non-natives living there now to support this foolish endeavor. Also, TRUE Charleston BBQ has a mustard-based sauce and is best found at any of several restaurants with the name "Bessinger" somewhere in the title.

7. You may insult anyone you wish to in a subtle manner if you just state their obvious shortcoming in a sympathetic tone and follow that comment with "bless their heart".

8. You may encounter a class of people that are known as the "S.O.B.s". This is not the insult that most of you are familiar with. This indicates that their family are long-time residents from "South of Broad", a respected and protected class.

9. Although less common than years ago, you will often find that people will hold doors open for you, greet you warmly and be courteous in traffic. They may well address you as "Sir" or "Ma'am", say thank you and please. When you say "Thank you" to them, most will respond with "You're welcome" rather than "no problem".

10. There is an area downtown that starts on Meeting Street that is known as the "City Market". It stretches towards East Bay Street for four blocks. It is an open-air market where one can find all sorts of goods. Please do not refer to this as the "Slave Market". No slaves were ever sold there. There is a "Slave Mart" Museum on Chalmers Street. Please do not confuse the two, as you are apt to offend a wide variety of persons, especially those selling tourist items at the City Market.

11. Please do not at any point while in Charleston utter any phrase that attempts to compare how things are done in Charleston to the way that ANYTHING is back "home". Quite frankly, you will find that no Charleston native cares about how you do things back home, how good the pizza is there or how bad the traffic is there!

12. And in summation, use your manners, be polite and have a good time there, bless your heart!

Hunley tour

We have a tour time of 10:00 am on Wednesday April 13 for anyone who would like to attend. The tour will take about 11/2 hrs. We will be able to purchase our tickets once we arrive.
http://www.hunley.org/index.asp

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back