Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

XLR info...good stuff

Bruce, Really appreciate the info that you posted. It will help others avoid the multiple trips to the dealership that I put up with to get the top working correctly. Anthony

Bruce, thanks again for all the help, information and insights.

Folding top fluid checking/filling

Checking/adding folding top fluid;

Thanks for all the help! That eliminates all the questions.

I'm thinking of getting an XLR, but i need an honest opinion, i'm a salesman and i don't want a car that makes me look like i profitting too much off my clients, is this the car?

I'm thinking of getting an XLR, but i need an honest opinion, i'm a salesman and i don't want a car that makes me look like i profitting too much off my clients, is this the car?

You know... there is always that chance. When I got mine, granted I rebuilt it from a total so it didn't cost me as much, I really didn't think about what my clientele would think. I figured I and my wife had worked hard and finally were fortunate enough to get ours. I guess I felt we deserved it for all our hard work. And to answer your question, I really haven't noticed any repercussion in my business because of our puchase.

Bruce, listed as the XLR's skin:

Body:

2004-2009 XLR: The exterior painted body panels (except the front and rear bumper covers) are made of SMC (sheet molding composite), including the rear tonneau and both folding top panels.

I was under the impression the top was made of metal. Is that not the case?

Bruce, listed as the XLR's skin:

Body:

2004-2009 XLR: The exterior painted body panels (except the front and rear bumper covers) are made of SMC (sheet molding composite), including the rear tonneau and both folding top panels.

I was under the impression the top was made of metal. Is that not the case?

I WAS under that impression, as well. I checked my tech manuals, the hood, roof panels, and trunk lid are indeed SMC (Sheet Molded Compound). The fenders and quarter panels are RRIM (Reinforced Reaction Injection Molded), hence being as flexible as they are.

Don't know what your business is, but I'm also in sales and I thought that as well. My father always drove nice expensive cars and his philosophy and comments to any customers that 'taunted him' about what he was driving, was 'Do you want to do business with a successful businessman or someone just trying to make ends meet'. I now never worry about what my customers think about what I drive--he*l some of my customers have just as nice vehicles as me.

I also don't drive my V every day to work, so it's not like it's out there staring at them everyday, but then again they have to see the Harleys or the SHO when the V isn't there. :lol::lol:

If you are doing well, go for it. LIFE IS TOO SHORT, HAVE FUN!!

'Do you want to do business with a successful businessman or someone just trying to make ends meet'.

If you are doing well, go for it. LIFE IS TOO SHORT, HAVE FUN!!

GREAT response, Cubby! Your father was a wise man. :rocker:

LOOK WHERE THIS GUY IS FROM!!! We NEED another Sconnie in the mix! So Briando you must buy one now- before the snow melts!

Seriously - we love our XLRs and you will love yours, too! And you'll discover that the car is just a vehicle to get you to the fun times we all have when we get together.

Several of us are meeting at Road America this summer - maybe we'll see you there!

~Quinn

I wonder ..... when the supermarket managers see me drive up in Lola, do they think they're not making enough profit?? :lol: Cubby's right ... to H*ll with what anyone thinks about what you are driving .... and like Bruce say's .... life is too short to drive a boring car .... you go for it ... you will feel like a million bucks behind the wheel!

XLR Production information

800 of the nearly 3,000 parts used to assemble the XLR are XLR specific.
A single XLR spent 8, 8hr workdays in production. 4 of those days involving paint & bodywork, the other 4 consisting of general assembly.
GM spent $50 million adding the XLR assembly line to the BGAP, opening up 127 new jobs.
Maximum daily production for the XLR was 16 per day.
Minimum daily production for the XLR was 8 per day.

Information from the book The Corvette Factories

800 of the nearly 3,000 parts used to assemble the XLR are XLR specific.
A single XLR spent 8, 8hr workdays in production. 4 of those days involving paint & bodywork, the other 4 consisting of general assembly.
GM spent $50 million adding the XLR assembly line to the BGAP, opening up 127 new jobs.
Maximum daily production for the XLR was 16 per day.
Minimum daily production for the XLR was 8 per day.

Information from the book The Corvette Factories

Great facts. Thanks for sharing this info

What was the count for 2007 XLR's and can you read the VIN# to determine what #? I'm about to get vanity plates for my XLR and I'd like to use: XLR and then the #.

Example: XLR1703. XLR-the car and #1703 as the number produced for that year. I believe the CA vanity plates allow seven letters/numbers. If there's more XLR produced (beyond a four digit number I'll have to go with something else).

What was the count for 2007 XLR's and can you read the VIN# to determine what #? I'm about to get vanity plates for my XLR and I'd like to use: XLR and then the #.

Example: XLR1703. XLR-the car and #1703 as the number produced for that year. I believe the CA vanity plates allow seven letters/numbers. If there's more XLR produced (beyond a four digit number I'll have to go with something else).
Cadillac XLR Net | Tech Center | 2007 Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Tech Center | 2007 Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Production

I believe the last four numbers of your VIN is your build number. :cool:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back