Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

AppRadio 4

I think you're on to something

I PM grue about this yesterday. I am searching for a used unit to be the donor parts. There has to be one available at a reasonable price. I will keep you posted. Maybe we can figure this out for all of us.

2 great minds think a like! I was just wondering that the other evening! Also I'd think you would possibly still have a functional CD player still! Yes! Maybe or No?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

The problem there would be control of playback. It's theoretically possible if we figured out the signal trigger that is sent to the changer to switch the audio source, but the appradio wouldn't know what's going on and you'd be at the mercy of your steering wheel controls.

The problem there would be control of playback. It's theoretically possible if we figured out the signal trigger that is sent to the changer to switch the audio source, but the appradio wouldn't know what's going on and you'd be at the mercy of your steering wheel controls.

This is true as all button for control are on the radio face!

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

...sounds viable. I would give you mine, but when I bought Da Blue Beastie someone had previously replaced the factory unit. I swapped it out to the AppRadio for the additional functionality. I am not sure how you would tie into the factory steering wheel controls and convert them to the digital signal used by the aftermarket radios. On some vehicles (like the Lexus SC430) the steering wheel controls actually control the factory amp, not the radio. When replacing it, one has to set the volume on the factory radio to the middle or lower before pulling it, or you will get serious distortion when you start trying to control the input into the factory amp through the aftermarket headunit. Once an aftermarket radio is installed in an SC430 one needs to use the steering wheel controls vs the radio controls. It is all goofed up. I hope this would not be the same situation...

...sounds viable. I would give you mine, but when I bought Da Blue Beastie someone had previously replaced the factory unit. I swapped it out to the AppRadio for the additional functionality. I am not sure how you would tie into the factory steering wheel controls and convert them to the digital signal used by the aftermarket radios. On some vehicles (like the Lexus SC430) the steering wheel controls actually control the factory amp, not the radio. When replacing it, one has to set the volume on the factory radio to the middle or lower before pulling it, or you will get serious distortion when you start trying to control the input into the factory amp through the aftermarket headunit. Once an aftermarket radio is installed in an SC430 one needs to use the steering wheel controls vs the radio controls. It is all goofed up. I hope this would not be the same situation...

Yeah, I imagine we might still have to use an adapter for the steering wheel controls, but those are far more readily available (and much less expensive!) than the multitude of bits required to keep the onstar/hud/etc. If we left the steering wheel controls hooked to the changer that'd be our situation as well, for all intents and purposes, as it'd be responsible for telling the amp to lower the audio and such.

In fact, the documentation for the PAC SWI-RC confirms it just needs connect into what is pin 11 on the changer's 16pin plug, which is the dark blue one. Extract that, plug into the SWI, and gold.

d15bc3c77aa3159961ec5cad82706c95.jpg
aa069e65c2f90f1a649c3bbfdc4e0bb6.jpg
f6ceba9a426c3106bdcebb2c6ba9f8aa.jpg

They separate very easily from the original mounting bracket

This is the new unit installed in original bracket
dd7cb222e06c70440abc732d1f773711.jpg
e968243415f5b22b9b58e0a3ab1db30b.jpg
d269e90b900f86e3f8fb24689a2feba1.jpg

Sweet! That looks like the exact install kit and parts used for mine. Looking good!!! :thumbsup

Not sure if the part number is mentioned previously in this thread but it's Metra 95-6511 Chrysler/Jeep DDIN 2007 Dash kit and I had to trim the ears off to allow for clearance of the dash trim.

That is looking really good. FYI, I added a piece of black plastic behind my CD slot so one cannot see through it into the dash...

f6ceba9a426c3106bdcebb2c6ba9f8aa.jpg

They separate very easily from the original mounting bracket

Huh interesting. That second square connector isn't on the wiring diagram and I didn't notice it before… that potentially complicates things. Of course there's an easy way to test if it's important… see if anything pertaining to steering wheel controls, HUD, or radio stops working if it's unplugged :laugh:

It stands to reason, though, that this is like the CD changer connectors used in a lot of other head units and does the actual controlling of the changer/cd functions themselves.

Last edited:
Well I haven't received the GMOS-06 yet but the instructions have me connecting the speaker output wires to the 32 pin adapter. So far there is nothing I'm connecting to the GM 20 pin connector and there is only a few wires in it
2d8b8fe98e97964d2031d4f75c57eb8c.jpg
8a6eae5e0b7ef81ad939dd4850cfd93b.jpg
4ed2579a2336e736108c05927f7c24d9.jpg

I'm wondering if those had anything to do with the HUD

Well I haven't received the GMOS-06 yet but the instructions have me connecting the speaker output wires to the 32 pin adapter. So far there is nothing I'm connecting to the GM 20 pin connector and there is only a few wires in it
4ed2579a2336e736108c05927f7c24d9.jpg

Is that the 32pin?

This one is GM16 pin which I found it referred to as Caddie1

I haven't posted in a few days so this just an update, I was the the lucky winner of receiving a bad pioneer AppRadio from stock so I'm waiting for supplier to ship another unit. I'll update later when I have more info.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back